X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler View Post
    In every post of this thread, the one thing that is overlooked is the fact, "How much does this show cost? No one has ever brought that up.
    Why? You fishing for donation? I already gave my coin change to PBS. Now I'm waiting for my Michael Bublé CD.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

First off, I must say, I really like this show. I DVR it since I'm rarely around a TV when it airs, so I'll watch a few in succession. And it's come along since its debut.

Andy Bumatai never fails to get out-loud laughs from me. I've always liked him... since his All In The Ohana days, and the classic album "Hello, My Name is Captain Cook." So to be able to see him perform nightly is a god-send to me.

But I do have some problems with the production. I really think a better job can be done. And the "oh, well, it's a local production with a low budget" arguement doesn't really cut the mustard. Just because it's "local" it's okay to have low standards? Can't agree with that. That's just a cop-out. Trust me, as someone who has to deal with a low budget on a daily basis, I find ways to make my work equal to, if not better than, "the mainland."

Take for instance something as simple as color-balance. I was watching the Baldwin bachelor dude episode tonight, and was shaking my head to see two different color balances during the talk. Bumatai was one color, and Baldwin was another. No excuse for that. And that's not a budget issue.

Andy giving a monologue. Too much camera movement. Dunno if they're trying for the "MTV Effect," but it's just distracting. All the late-night shows should be required watching for all the camera operators. I suppose you could say "we're thinking out of the box," but there are certain standards that should be applied.

Lighting needs help. For one thing, the look is very flat. This probably stems from not having enough space between the backdrop and the set, thus no hair/rim lights can be used for depth. Hopefully with the supposed new set, this will be alleviated. Also, there are hot spots here and there. Andy's face is well-lit, but the bottom of his jacket is hot. Or vice-versa. Again, this might be alleviated once a permanent set is built and lighting can be set. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I notice in the lowlights, there is a lot of noise (the blacks aren't black). Not sure why that's happening. Maybe it's just my TV?

The dog park segment I watched was hilarious. Even with the "low-budget" air to it. Don't care about that. I realize that it's probably whipped together spur-of-the-moment.

As for the intro, while seemingly a rip-off of SNL, I actually like it. I thought out loud tonight -- "Hey, it makes Honolulu look cool!"

I really do like this show, and I hope it lives a long life. This is just what Honolulu needs. I'd love to go and watch a taping. Just gotta find a day when it fits my schedule. Hopefully someone will continue to post taping dates on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post

Take for instance something as simple as color-balance. I was watching the Baldwin bachelor dude episode tonight, and was shaking my head to see two different color balances during the talk. Bumatai was one color, and Baldwin was another. No excuse for that. And that's not a budget issue.

Lighting needs help. For one thing, the look is very flat. This probably stems from not having enough space between the backdrop and the set, thus no hair/rim lights can be used for depth. Hopefully with the supposed new set, this will be alleviated. Also, there are hot spots here and there. Andy's face is well-lit, but the bottom of his jacket is hot. Or vice-versa. Again, this might be alleviated once a permanent set is built and lighting can be set. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I notice in the lowlights, there is a lot of noise (the blacks aren't black). Not sure why that's happening. Maybe it's just my TV?
        I agree, with all your observations.

First of all, the color balance problem is because they are using industrial cameras that don't have CCUs (Camera Control Units), which are used to paint and balance the cameras. I wonder if they're even using chip charts to balance. It would be very hard to balance cameras regardless.

The lighting isn't even, because of the the lack of depth, but also because of lack of color intensity and key & fill. Basically, there's not enough lighting. Probably need at least a couple of 5ks.

Blacks are not black probably because there are no CCUs which have a setup (black level) function, and also if there's no waveform monitor in the multi-cam remote setup, you can't tell if the blacks on each camera are at 7.5% IRE, which is "video black." Most industrial cameras are pre-set at 0% IRE or 0 black, which causes noise or video artifacts.

These aren't knocks on the show, just observations on the production, which hopefully the producers will take notice. I too don't believe lack of budget justifies lack of basic video techniques. It getting to be all too common of a trend. Broadcastable cameras simply don't equal broadcast quality. There's a reason one camera costs $12,000 & the other $30,000-$40,000. Don't ruin a good concept with technical glitches that can be easily fixed.

I also see another problem that I won't bring up this thread that is a potential FCC violation, but from what I've heard both stations that air the show will be addressing it with the producers soon.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          In Hawaii, we always appreciate a sincere effort -- this is why Hawaii Stars scores are always 9.90 at the lowest! We turn a blind eye to the crappy aspects of something because we like to celebrate the spirit of a performance. I think this cripples a lot of local productions, because we've come to expect that forbearance, instead of making every effort to make the forbearance unnecessary. "Good enough for Hawaii" seems to be the attitude, and most of the time I can live with it.
          Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler View Post
          You nailed this one on the head my friend!
          I find it annoying that you took the lead sentence of my paragraph to say I "nailed this one," but disregarded the rest of the paragraph. You make it sound like we agree, when in fact on this point we clearly do not. The rest of my paragraph says that locals' appreciation of a sincere effort is not something the show's producers should take for granted. The tone of your post suggests that it is not only something the producers should (and do) embrace, but that it's better for the show if we, the viewers, keep in mind that it's good enough for local audiences.

I guess I wouldn't mind it so much if you hadn't said that the show's imperfections are what make the show perfect. Clearly, you don't think the show is "perfect," or you wouldn't have said that the show would get better if we keep cheering for "team LC, the show will get better." If the show is "perfect," how does it get better?

Dick and Media Guy have much better articulated, specifically, the show's technical problems. Do you not find this kind of feedback more useful than "cheering?"
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
            I agree, with all your observations.

First of all, the color balance problem is because they are using industrial cameras that don't have CCUs (Camera Control Units), which are used to paint and balance the cameras. I wonder if they're even using chip charts to balance. It would be very hard to balance cameras regardless.

The lighting isn't even, because of the the lack of depth, but also because of lack of color intensity and key & fill. Basically, there's not enough lighting. Probably need at least a couple of 5ks.

Blacks are not black probably because there are no CCUs which have a setup (black level) function, and also if there's no waveform monitor in the multi-cam remote setup, you can't tell if the blacks on each camera are at 7.5% IRE, which is "video black." Most industrial cameras are pre-set at 0% IRE or 0 black, which causes noise or video artifacts.
            Getting consistent black levels and matching color are all problems that can be remedied in post production, especially with edit software that is becoming ever more sophisticated.

For example Final Cut Pro has a simple 3-way color corrector that can set pedestal level, as well as peak luma, and also match middle tones and color cast for several cameras. I've done a number of multi-camera edits that involved mismatched prosumer cameras and managed to get them very close.

It's not the best way of doing it, but it is possible. And, as Media Guy mentioned, having a chip chart or at least a decent target to set up each camera during post production, would be a great help.

What I find tricky is lighting multicam shoots. What looks great for camera 1 can look awful for camera 2 that's shooting from a different angle. Getting it right from all directions takes time. I wonder if they have that kind of time available?

Comment

Sure, you can always fix it in post, but I wonder if they have time to color correct in post since the turnaround is so quick.

Comment

In Hawaii, we always appreciate a sincere effort -- this is why Hawaii Stars scores are always 9.90 at the lowest! We turn a blind eye to the crappy aspects of something because we like to celebrate the spirit of a performance. I think this cripples a lot of local productions, because we've come to expect that forbearance, instead of making every effort to make the forbearance unnecessary. "Good enough for Hawaii" seems to be the attitude, and most of the time I can live with it.
                Just to make a comment here re: the level of local TV productions here in comparison to the mainland.

Perhaps we kind of take it for granted in Hawaii because we have been used to it for so long, but the technical and engineering expertise displayed by KFVE in their presentation of UH sports is, IMO. impeccable. This is especially apparent when you compare a KFVE sportscast to that of many regional sports networks (like say, Fox Sports West.) The camera work presenting the game action is better. There's fewer glitches. Etc. Even sports fans from the mainland watching KFVE telecasts have commented to me about the great quality they see compared to what they have come to expect from their local/regional channels.

Of course, this level of expertise did not happen OVERNIGHT, folks. KHNL/KFVE started broadcasting UH sports in 1984 and many of the cameramen and engineers have been working at their job for YEARS, fine-tuning and perfecting their craft.

I guess what I am trying to say here is,... don't let anyone tell you that Hawaii TV productions cannot compete with their mainland counterparts as far as quality is concerned. Given adequate resources, employee dedication, and most importantly, TIME, the NT production crew could be capable of achieving a lot more than what is currently seen. Let's hope that Andy and company receive the support they need in order to make a top-notch talk show based in Hawaii a reality. It won't be easy to achieve, but it IS POSSIBLE and under the right circumstances, it can happen!
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. Not only KFVE & UH sports but OC16 live sports presentations are some of the best I've seen.
                  Speaking of live multicam productions. The local news on every station. Sure, they hae some occasional problems, especially when there's no human element at the camera controls, but for the most part the production value is excellent.
                  Hawaii doesn't & shouldn't take a back seat to any market production wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                    Why? You fishing for donation? I already gave my coin change to PBS. Now I'm waiting for my Michael Bublé CD.
                    Nah...indie films and the next-to-no-budget tv shows I've worked on tend to go for a trade for screen credit. As a member of the crew I've usually cut a deal up front when there's a small budget OR agreed to volunteer when there's no budget. If you attend any of the Hawaii panoramas at HIFF you'll notice the credits at the end of the films can be almost as long as the films themselves!

Sometimes product placement can be a viable option for some funding. Just depends.

I love Michael Buble!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      This is especially apparent when you compare a KFVE sportscast to that of many regional sports networks (like say, Fox Sports West.) The camera work presenting the game action is better. There's fewer glitches.
                      I think it's REALLY apparent when ESPN broadcasts NCAA women's volleyball tournaments and KFVE can't show the Wahine games. Not only is the commentary not as good, but camera work is awful, with bad angles and slow reactions.

We're used to seeing that kind of quality with sports broadcasting: It would be nice if we could begin to expect it of other types of programs.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

On a non-sports level; the Kamehameha Song Contest or Merry Monarch, both beautiful locally-produced multicam productions.

Comment

I been watching "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai for about the last week and a half. I have to say that last night's show was hilarious. It had the Soup Nazi guy from Seinfeld and a comic by the name of Kento. Was a good show. I laughed so hard.
                          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Perhaps we kind of take it for granted in Hawaii because we have been used to it for so long, but the technical and engineering expertise displayed by KFVE in their presentation of UH sports is, IMO. impeccable.
                            I'll pretty much agree, with the exception that for years now the KFVE audio on "Hot Hawaiian Nights" (and on the Hoku Awards shows) has been horrendous. Absolutely pathetic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              ...for years now the KFVE audio on "Hot Hawaiian Nights" (and on the Hoku Awards shows) has been horrendous. Absolutely pathetic.
                              AMEN! I find myself turning it up...full volume, and then getting startled during a commercial!
                              ___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

I think it's REALLY apparent when ESPN broadcasts NCAA women's volleyball tournaments and KFVE can't show the Wahine games. Not only is the commentary not as good, but camera work is awful, with bad angles and slow reactions.
                                What you say is true, although when it comes to v-ball, the K5 crew has so much more experience and expertise in providing TV coverage for the sport than anybody else in this nation that one would naturally expect it. Really, it would be "shame on K5" if they couldn't deliver a volleyball telecast that was head and shoulders above ESPN or any other network that only broadcasts a handful of v-ball matches.

But K5's excellence goes beyond volleyball coverage. It also extends to college football and basketball as well, which is what other networks also provide in abundance. This is what I meant by a local production crew displaying a level of quality that compares very favorably to what many mainland outfits provide. We're talking about some real talent here!

But as I said before, this level of expertise when it comes to sports coverage isn't something that "just happened." Rome wasn't built in a day. It took time for everyone to learn their jobs and for the crew to develop a chemistry. The same is true for talk shows. David Letterman has been on the air for 25 years. Leno for 15. A lot of trial-and-error occurred during that time in order to get to the product that the American TV audience loves today. It will be no different for Andy and his crew. They'll have to experiment and get through their initial "growing pains" if they hope to develop into a show that is worthy of syndication. The way I see it, the potential and the talent is there. What happens in the future,... we'll just have to see.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X