This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

I'm in Los Angeles right now, and TV here blows.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      I'll pretty much agree, with the exception that for years now the KFVE audio on "Hot Hawaiian Nights" (and on the Hoku Awards shows) has been horrendous. Absolutely pathetic.
      Meh. Can't helped when they can only broadcast OTA in monaural sound, so's their sister station KHNL. So, why the other local affiliate stations can broadcast in hi-fi but local NBC affiliate (formerly FOX) can't?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

One thing that irks me is the idea that we can't rank to mainland standards. Says who? Honolulu is in the top 50 cities by population! Granted, we're not LA or NY, but we're not Hickville, OH either! Honolulu ain't small-time. No reason to settle for small-time unless that's the charm we're aiming for.

Comment

Erika checks in this morning:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/08/24/business/engle.html

Comment

This is a weird statement:
            Seating will be arranged in rows, according to Dara Young, the hotel's public relations manager. Beyond that, many details are still being worked out.
            You mean, it won't be in columns, chairs stacked to the rafters, one upon the next? Seats won't be scattered about randomly, with some facing away from the stage while other face toward it? They won't be suspended from the ceiling like swings? Well! This "arranged in rows" idea could really make or break the program! I'm eager to see how it works out!
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Also from Erika's article:
              ...the production's move to the Tropics Showroom at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort & Spa...
              YES! <pumps arm!>

Comment

• Re: &quot;Night Time&quot; with Andy Bumatai

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                Bryan plans twice-weekly Tropics tapings, "but I think we'll end up going to that once-a-night basis a lot faster than I thought we would."

Initially, that was not to happen until the middle of next year, "but we'll probably re-evaluate that shortly after the first of the year," said Bryan.

Taking it nightly also has Bryan and Bumatai thinking that "national syndication (could happen) a lot sooner than we thought, too."

Taping on a nightly basis would allow for Andy to incorporate more "current events" items into his monologue, without fear of any of it sounding outdated to the TV audience by the time it is actually transmitted. And for any of you who haven't been to Andy's stand-up shows lately, yes, the man does include incorporate quite a bit of hot topic/political humor into his routine.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

You mean, it won't be in columns, chairs stacked to the rafters, one upon the next? Seats won't be scattered about randomly, with some facing away from the stage while other face toward it? They won't be suspended from the ceiling like swings? Well! This "arranged in rows" idea could really make or break the program! I'm eager to see how it works out!
                  I guess the statement "when compared to the Honolulu Design Center" is missing from the article.

I attended the Thursday night taping and the seats available for the audience consisted of a couple of long couchs that can seat around 6 to 7 people as the first row. Behind of that are 3 chairs on one side, on the other side is an L shaped sofa that can handle 6 to 8 people, another chair next to it and a glass round table. I suspect the audience area is a living room, dining room display area of the store because the chair I was sitting on had a price tag on it.

Spoiler for Tuesday night's show:
                  During the taping Andy and the crew noticed that construction is going on Kapiolani Blvd and he attempt to wave to the workers outside.
                  Last edited by helen; August 24, 2007, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Exhaulted_Ruler View Post
                    To date and from the horse's mouth, Rumor.
                    So much for it being a "rumor," huh?

I think they had a decision by Aug. 22 (when the above post was made).

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                      So much for it being a "rumor," huh?
                      Exact same thing I was thinking, PJ. [/high five] But ExaltedRuler probably knew it and was just covering up until the official announcement was made.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

I think Mr. Young meant "rows" as in plural.

You want column seating? Sucks to be the guy on the bottom.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

[...]But ExaltedRuler probably knew it and was just covering up until the official announcement was made.
                          Yep! It's not cool to be involved with a show and let the cat outta the bag without explicit permission. My guess is E_R checked the link I asked him to check, maybe even showed the producer the info then reported back to us what the producer wanted us to know. Looks like that was just prior to the official announcement. If this is the case, or even if E_R was privvy to the new location to begin with, he did the right thing.

Comment

But ExaltedRuler probably knew it and was just covering up until the official announcement was made.
                            You're right.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            It's not cool to be involved with a show and let the cat outta the bag without explicit permission.
                            You're right.

Originally posted by tutusue
                            My guess is E_R checked the link I asked him to check, maybe even showed the producer the info then reported back to us what the producer wanted us to know. Looks like that was just prior to the official announcement. If this is the case, or even if E_R was privvy to the new location to begin with, he did the right thing.
                            Now this is where I disagree.

The right thing, in my opinion, would have been to say NOTHING.

Especially when it seems that the rumor was correct.

Instead we get this:

Originally posted by Exhaulted Ruler
                            To date and from the horse's mouth, Rumor. A couple locations are being kicked around, not to rule out the HHV.
                            That went up at 11:30 a.m. on Aug. 22. Erika had the story a day later, and it showed up in the Star-Bulletin today.

The response smacks of spin, if it isn't a flat-out lie to begin with. All that "covering up" will definitely get my BS-radar up when I see future posts on HT from the guy.

All that said, I'm really excited to see the show move to its new home. I think it will help advance the production values and allow for bigger audiences to attend the tapings.

Go get 'em, Andy!

Comment

I taped the show for Friday night since I knew I wasn't going to be around to watch it but when I viewed the tape today it had UH Women's Volleyball.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                                I taped the show for Friday night since I knew I wasn't going to be around to watch it but when I viewed the tape today it had UH Women's Volleyball.
                                Did it make you laugh? Oh well your VCR mistook one quality bit of programming in favor for another. I'd say the mistake was decent.
                                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                                X