This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Wondering what folks here think about Andy's venture into the world of late night talk? First show aired last night with Mayor Mufi and ukelele extraordinaire Taimane Gardner.

My observations: Everything seemed to go as planned, with no technical glitches. Andy seemed to be a little nervous in his opening monologue, and the sparse audience response didn't help. (Wonder how many people were in the audience? Sounded like only a small handful.) He seemed more relaxed when interviewing the Mufster, even got him to start singing at one point. Of course, it should be noted that they have been friends for years. Will be interesting to see how he interacts with personalities who are less familiar to him. Taimane was strictly a musical guest, but her one number (a Led Zeppelin/Beethoven medley) sounded super and was a good choice for the opening show.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: "Night Time" with Andy Bumatai

Is this one that airs on KVFE at 9:30 pm?

I will admit I wasn't paying much attention to this week's TV Guide so your note was the first I heard of this show. I take it's a weeknight show?

Comment

There is only one row of seats for the studio(?) audience.

What does that tell you?

I'm hoping this works out for him, since he got kicked out after a brief hosting stint with KGMB's Hawaiian Moving Company.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
        Wondering what folks here think about Andy's venture into the world of late night talk? First show aired last night with Mayor Mufi and ukelele extraordinaire Taimane Gardner.

My observations: Everything seemed to go as planned, with no technical glitches. Andy seemed to be a little nervous in his opening monologue, and the sparse audience response didn't help. (Wonder how many people were in the audience? Sounded like only a small handful.) He seemed more relaxed when interviewing the Mufster, even got him to start singing at one point. Of course, it should be noted that they have been friends for years. Will be interesting to see how he interacts with personalities who are less familiar to him. Taimane was strictly a musical guest, but her one number (a Led Zeppelin/Beethoven medley) sounded super and was a good choice for the opening show.
        when does it come on? What channel?

Comment

Made it just in time for Tuesday's night airing. They didn't show the audience but he did mention that it was coming from a furniture store.

Like the bit about stuff from Long's Drug store that included Hawaiian scented air fresher made in Wisconsin, butt paste and roach tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by Star of Gladness View Post
            when does it come on? What channel?
            9:30 pm, on KFVE (channel 5), looks like Monday to Friday nights.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              Made it just in time for Tuesday's night airing. They didn't show the audience but he did mention that it was coming from a furniture store.

Like the bit about stuff from Long's Drug store that included Hawaiian scented air fresher made in Wisconsin, butt paste and roach tablets.
              The show's coming from the Hawaii Design Center (eek...I think that's the name) on the corner of Kapiolani and Keeaumoku. I think a decent size audience would be to Andy's advantage. That may not be possible there. Seems like a strange venue to me. I can almost see it in that big room off Dave and Busters.

The Long's BoC <g> was fun and I couldn't help but wish for a BoC from the 99¢ Store a la Leno!

I think the show has potential but a half hour seems to cut Andy off when he's just getting warmed up. I wonder if the show will go to one hour when/if it catches on. Regardless, I wish Andy well and hope the show's a big success with both audiences and sponsors. I plan on watching.

Comment

Re: &quot;Night Time&quot; with Andy Bumatai

Andy was on the cover of the Midweek a week or so talking about the show, he said he has lined up some of the famous actors from Joe Moore's upcoming play: Richard Dreyfuss and George Segal. Not bad.

The recent morning talk show with Branscombe Richmond bombed in part I think because some of the guests interviewed were taped from a collectors show in Los Angeles and not even in Hawaii.

If they can pull in the Hollywood guests like Andy says they are trying to get, more power to them, but I don't know why Hollywood celebs would want to come on the show when they are on vacation and why would they fly this far to promote themselves unless they are filming a movie I guess.

The boasts in the article saying they would like to eventually sell the show so it can air on the mainland to compete with the likes of Leno and Letterman are unrealistic goals I think or maybe it's a subtle joke Andy is pulling by saying this.

This *might* have worked years ago locally with Don Ho, Jim Nabors or Richard Chamberlain pulling in celebs and singers in their prime filmed over here. I know Don Ho tried it in 1976 on ABC but does anyone know the guest list he had?

Nonetheless....I wish Andy all the best.....!!

Aj

Comment

The "set" is actually looking out on Kapi`olani and Pi`ikoi?, definitely not Ke`eaumoku.

Comment

Here's some more information that was in the Star-Bulletin last month.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                      The recent morning talk show with Branscombe Richmond bombed in part I think because some of the guests interviewed were taped from a collectors show in Los Angeles and not even in Hawaii.
                      Bombed? You mean it's gone? Canceled? You mean what they show at 4:30 in the morning on KHON is re-runs? Really?!?

Nonetheless....I wish Andy all the best.....!!

Aj
                      Agreed! I grew up with his comedy and one of his brothers was a classmate. He was all the rage back then and I think he deserves more!
                      Aloha,
                      Evelyn
                      Homespun Honolulu

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        The "set" is actually looking out on Kapi`olani and Pi`ikoi?, definitely not Ke`eaumoku.
                        Aha! Thanks! After I hit the submit button I wondered if it was Piikoi!! I decided to go to bed inside of checking out my curiosity!

Comment

[...]If they can pull in the Hollywood guests like Andy says they are trying to get, more power to them, but I don't know why Hollywood celebs would want to come on the show when they are on vacation and why would they fly this far to promote themselves unless they are filming a movie I guess.[...]
                          I can only guess and I'll guess that celebs who might appear on Andy's show will already be in Hawaii, working! Just look at all the public appearances in which the cast from "Lost" participates. Most of those appearances are dictated by the shows publicity dept.

If the show can score Spielberg, Lucas or Harrison from the Indiana Jones set on the Big Island, I bet the producers of Andy's show would either find the money to fly him to Oahu or be able to score a free ticket in trade! That's assuming any of them would fly a public airline and that they're still in Hawaii! What a score that'd be!

Comment

Originally posted by from the Star Bulletin article that buzz1941 linked
                            "NightTime" will be taped with a live audience at the Honolulu Design Center, right behind street-level windows at the corner of Piikoi and Kapiolani. If you're stuck in traffic there, you'll become part of the set's background. The plan is to film three shows on Monday and two on Thursday.
                            I was kind of wondering when it was taped. During last night's show Andy's openning you could see in the back that is was around dusk, but during the two guests appearances it was really dark outside.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I can only guess and I'll guess that celebs who might appear on Andy's show will already be in Hawaii, working! Just look at all the public appearances in which the cast from "Lost" participates.
                            All they need is a different cast member from Lost to come in once every other day and they would be able to fill in one fourth of a month's worth of guest slots.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                              I can only guess and I'll guess that celebs who might appear on Andy's show will already be in Hawaii, working! Just look at all the public appearances in which the cast from "Lost" participates. Most of those appearances are dictated by the shows publicity dept.!
                              I don't expect Andy's show to attract the super heavyweights in the entertainment field (think Affleck, DiCaprio, Stallone, etc.) whenever they are here in Hawaii to relax. But I agree with you. Those who are here to "work," whether it be in film or on TV would be the better bet. Sheesh, can you imagine what kind of guest star actors Andy would have been able to invite when shows like Hawaii 5-0 and Magnum were on the air?

As for Andy and his producer talking about competing with the likes of Leno and Letterman,... yeah, maybe that is a pipe dream. But if you start off thinking small, that's all you'll ever end up being. Good for Andy in shooting for the stars now. Eventually though, for the show to remain a fixture on the airwaves, he's gonna have to find a niche. As for whether there is a market for a Hawaii-based late night talk show taped before a live audience, no one knows if it will succeed or not until someone actually tries it. And Andy is just as good as any candidate to be the first.
                              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X