Flossie Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flossie Coverage

As the storm approaches, I thought it would be interesting for us viewers to keep track of everyone's coverage. This is one of those events/stories that will show which station can or will step up to the plate. Is KGMB really our severe weather station? Who's starting to devote "team coverage" on the storm? Who's sent reporters to the big island? So far everyone's been tracking it with the National Weather Service and Jim Weyman's getting a lot of air time. And we've seen and heard about the storm chasers that flew into the eye of the storm. Stay tuned.....

Re: Flossie

well the storm chasers are going to have a very nice holiday at least. my guess is dissipate ... here is most recent shot from cnn:
    life is ok sometimes

Comment

I have been following it from the east Coast, conus.

Looks like all islands will get some big surf, and the big Island, rain and wind.

Glad it is not an immediate danger to anyone.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Well, I'll tell ya one thing about KGMB which just happens to be my fav. channel. I think.....it was Saturday night, but was it five, or ten PM, oh so sorry, but anyway, I was in a storm talking mood and both of the other major channels started their news with other stories, and sure enough KGMB's lead story was the storm as I felt it should be. That alone made me feel that they are really our storm channel.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
          I have been following it from the east Coast, conus. Looks like all islands will get some big surf, and the big Island, rain and wind. Glad it is not an immediate danger to anyone.
          Wow, don't know who said it wasn't an immediate danger, but they were sorely misinformed! Check out this Storm Systems thread for updates, brah.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

[qutoe] Winds at that time will be at 40-50 miles (65-80 km) per hour and surf will exceed 15 feet (5 meters). Torrential rainfall of up to 10 inches (25 cm) is expected along the southeast shore of the so-called "Big Island".[/quote]

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...SIE-HAWAII.XML

Could be a lot worse though, but that is going to be a heck of a lot of rain!

I had no idea the last one was in 1871! I thought they were more common in the pacific.
            flickr

An email from God:
            To: People of Earth
            Date: 9/04/2007
            Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
            God

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
              I was in a storm talking mood and both of the other major channels started their news with other stories, and sure enough KGMB's lead story was the storm as I felt it should be. That alone made me feel that they are really our storm channel.
              When you say "both," which two do you mean of KHNL, KITV, and KHON?

I think part of the reason KGMB is more likely to lead with a weather story is Guy Hagi. I have nothing to back this up with, but it seems to me that KGMB knows Hagi is one of its stars. The other stations don't have promos about their weather reporters' lives and hobbies. For whatever reason, Hagi is popular and not just a weather bunny.

Sharie Shima used to be that kind of popular, but in recent years, she seems to have become lower-profile, despite becoming better at what she does.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                Sharie Shima used to be that kind of popular, but in recent years, she seems to have become lower-profile, despite becoming better at what she does.
                "Lower profile" may perhaps stand for "more professional." And for the longest time, until the past year or two, Shari was the only graduate meteorologist on the air in the state. Gave her a lot of 'cred' in my book.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I don't know where some folks get their information, but at KITV, we led both the 5 & 10pm newscasts on Saturday and Sunday with team coverage on the hurricane.
                  We have also been doing cut-ins each hour on the hour today(Monday). I do not believe any other station is doing this.
                  Our weather channel, Island Weather Now(Oceanic 126) has been constantly updated all day as has thehawaiichannel.com.
                  BTW, Justin Fujioka just returned from Alabama where he graduated and is now a Broadcast Meteorologist.
                  Aloha,
                  Mike

Comment

I watch KITV!! In fact, My t.v. is set automatically every morning at 5:30 a.m. sharp on Channel 4! Hi! Ben!!!

News coverage is the bess!

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Scrivener, sorry! I forgot FOX existed when speaking and was thinking of the used-to-be "big 3." Yeah, KHNL and KHON....I surfed back and forth and thought "See!" and just stayed on KGMB even though a dateline or something....was running past ten PM.

Hagi may be a lot of the reason they are big on weather at KGMB, but surely part of it is living up to their name as our storm channel. I dunno why but for over 13yrs. I've gravitated to that channel, but when there's someone I know supposed to be on the news, or a story from central Oahu, I'll surf all the channels like crazy.
                      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
                        Scrivener, sorry! I forgot FOX existed when speaking and was thinking of the used-to-be "big 3." Yeah, KHNL and KHON...
                        Okay, I think I get you. Thanks. But you know, KHON has been the local FOX affiliate for more than a decade, hasn't it?

I watched KITV at 5 and KGMB at 6. Didn't notice any real difference except that KGMB had Malika Dudley calling from the Big Island and KITV had Jodi Leong. I can't decide which I'd rather see all covered in rain with hair whipping about, but Jodi's the far superior reporter!

KGMB says it's doing a one-hour news at 10, all about the hurricane. This is going to mess up my TiVo.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Besides checking the NOAA site for pictures and updates, the next best source for some ongoing storm information is radio, namely KSSK AM 590 which I had tuned into for most of the day, and secondarily, KHVH 830 AM. Both stations owned by Clear Channel were giving updated reports about every 15 minutes today.

And if you have a VHF weather radio, the NOAA has continuing around the clock weather and storm information, most of it pre-recorded. Today they were in storm mode and had more updates than normal.

As for TV, I just watched the KFVE News; they had a very brief mention of the earthquake... KITV had short on the hour reports... I noticed a crawling text on KGMB at around 8pm reporting the 5.3 earthquake on the Big Island.

I think people with digital cable have a few more round the clock weather options with the new KITV digital weather channel. The Big Island has a digital cable TV channel that reports weather graphics for most of the day.

Still I read in another thread that Big Island people are not getting enough info to stay "on top" of things.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KGMB TV is having a one hour long newscast for 10 pm tonight. Top stories: Flossie, Earthquake and Brush fire on Oahu.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                              I read in another thread that Big Island people are not getting enough info to stay "on top" of things.
                              DC in the Mornings on B97 has been on the air since 5:30 this morning with updates and giving reports about Flossie and the earthquake. So far so good.
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X