• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalihiboy
    replied
    Re: Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post
    Geographically, it would be Spokane & Tuscon, However by market:

Tucson is #70 & moves to #68 in 2008, Hawaii is #72 & moves down to #73 in 2008 & Spokane remains at #77.

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi
    When I lived in Phoenix the KGUN and KOLD network stations in Tucson which I think are/were ABC and CBS respectively were high powered enough that you could watch them in the Phoenix market over 100 miles away.

Aj

Leave a comment:

• l14dap
    replied

Originally posted by sin View Post
    interesting, and thanks for that link too. so has anyone seen the news in springfield, missouri and toledo, ohio?
    I've seen the news in Tucson, Arizona (just moved from there about 8 months ago). Except for the fact that they have noon newscasts, it's the same as here.

ONE station has a half-hour Saturday morning newscast that you might miss if you blink (it goes from 7am-7:30am) and that same station has a 4pm newscast which debuted a few weeks ago. So for the most part, medium size markets like Hawaii and Tucson are in the same boat IMO.

Hawaii emulates many larger markets like LA and NY in that there are so many solid anchors (and some reporters) that never LEAVE the market once they become anchors...they just move to another station across town.

Leave a comment:

• sin
    replied

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post

Tucson is #70 & moves to #68 in 2008, Hawaii is #72 & moves down to #73 in 2008 & Spokane remains at #77.

interesting, and thanks for that link too. so has anyone seen the news in springfield, missouri and toledo, ohio?

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sin
    replied

I think the closest cities to the Honolulu tv market are Spokane, Wash. and Tuscon, Ariz. Could be wrong though. Last I checked Honolulu was about 78 and Spokane and Tuscon 72 and 75 respectively.

Leave a comment:

• Doctah
    replied

I think the earlier poster who pointed out that Honolulu is just a middle-sized market got it right. You should be comparing Honolulu to other markets in the 60 and 70 range (Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, etc.) -- and in that case, Honolulu has just as many -- but more likely, more -- newscasts. Honolulu has four major newscasts at 6, for example, where even top-sized markets don't (like L.A. or Chicago, where Fox-owned stations air off-net syndicated fare, which is much more profitable).

Hawaii has always emulated Central/Mountain time (primetime from 7 to 10), rather than the Pacific/Eastern 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. primetime, so I don't think that's really relevant to whether our market has enough news.

But again, to be fair, I'd say Honolulu has more newscasts than most of the other markets its size.

And by the way, also don't forget that the Honolulu market produces much more original local programming than even the biggest markets.
    Last edited by Doctah; September 23, 2007, 07:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

• Video Guy
    replied

interesting tidbits, thanks for all the time info from around the country.

i do think that there is definitely enough "hard" news here in hawaii. would be interesting to see more investigative stories on the air. maybe we'd have more newscats with that.

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

Hawaii gets the west coast feed from the networks, which is a 3 hour delay. Hawaii is a non-factor for the networks in regards to programming, news and ratings. We register less than 500,000 households in the ratings. We are 73rd after those great metropolises like Boise & Tulsa as far as viewership.

Leave a comment:

• bcr1652
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    I guess the Portland stations don't run games show like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy during the late afternoon or early evening times? Or air the network evening news broadcast?
    The ABC station airs Jeopardy and Wheel at 7:00 pm and 7:30 pm respectively.
    The ABC station airs ABC news at 6:00 pm.
    The CBS station airs CBS news at 6:30 pm.
    The NBC station airs NBC news at 5:30 pm.

So each station airs the network evening news broadcast at different times, whereas every major station in Hawaii airs them at 5:30 pm.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I guess the Portland stations don't run games show like Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy during the late afternoon or early evening times? Or air the network evening news broadcast?

For Hawaii if it's 5pm in the afternoon here, it's 7pm or 8pm on the West Coast and 10pm or 11pm on the East Coast, all the places that might make news during the normal course of a day are closed like government and/or business offices so any non emergency but hot topic news item won't get further updates that would have gotten hourly updates on the East Coast or West Coast.

Leave a comment:

• bcr1652
    replied

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    Well right now, I'm in Portland, OR.
    --One station has newscasts from 5-5:30pm and 6-7pm (KGW - NBC)
    --Another, 5-6:30pm (KOIN - CBS)
    --Another, 4:30-6:00pm and 6:30pm (KATU - ABC)
    --And their FOX station (KPTV) only has a late night newscast (from 10pm-11:35pm).

All stations here have a mixture of local and national events on their newscasts.

From reading your replies here, I realized it varies among stations and markets across the country.
    I forgot about the other newcasts as well:
    --The ABC and CBS stations in Portland have their mornings from 5-7am, and also 12-12:30PM
    --The NBC station has from 4:30 AM - 7 AM, and also 12-1 PM
    --And the FOX station has from 4:30AM all the way till 9 or 10 AM. No noon newscast.

Leave a comment:

• Ninja
    replied

I recently spent time in Rapid City, SD....not exactly a big market.

The ABC station 5-7am, 11am, 5pm, 6pm and 10pm (ABC News at 5:30pm)
    The NBC station 5-7am, Noon, 5pm, 6pm and 10pm (NBC News at 5:30pm)
    The FOX station only 5:30pm(30 min) and 9pm (Hour)
    The CBS station(statewide channel) had a Morning/Midmorning/2-30min minute Late Afternoon and 9pm (30 min). The weird thing about the CBS station is that it's schedule is based on Central Time and Rapid City is on Mountain Time. So the CBS Primetime started a 6pm and Letterman starts a 9:35pm.

Leave a comment:

• bcr1652
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    Where on the mainland does this take place? And do these newscast touch on local events or national events or a mixture of both?
    Well right now, I'm in Portland, OR.
    --One station has newscasts from 5-5:30pm and 6-7pm (KGW - NBC)
    --Another, 5-6:30pm (KOIN - CBS)
    --Another, 4:30-6:00pm and 6:30pm (KATU - ABC)
    --And their FOX station (KPTV) only has a late night newscast (from 10pm-11:35pm).

All stations here have a mixture of local and national events on their newscasts.

From reading your replies here, I realized it varies among stations and markets across the country.

Leave a comment:

• Kalihiboy
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Depends on where you are on the Mainland.

Noon newscasts faded out of favor in major markets for a while, but have made a comeback in recent years. Evening newscasts here in Seattle are usually from 5-7 pm (though one station starts at 4), with only one half-hour of that being the network segment (two of them do that at 5:30, while one does it at 6.)

Midwestern stations (Central Time Zone) generally start their primetime programs at 7 and have news at 10, just as in Hawai`i.
    There was popular Noon newscasts in Phoenix where I use to live, I think we had them in Chicago too. Also, in both of those cities prime time shows began at 7:00pm, just like in Hawaii.

Now years ago in Hawaii many prime time shows began at 6:30pm partly because the local stations wanted a 30 minute extra slot to air the network newscasts with Cronkite, Frank reynolds, John Channcellor, etc. around 10:00pm or so.

And there was a time also on some local stations after the 9:30pm news they would air the last hour of prime time from 10:00pm-11:00pm, with a re-broadcast of the 9:30pm news at 11:00pm.

Aj

Leave a comment:

• Media Guy
    replied

It's really all about revenue and demographics. In some mainland television markets there is a considerable viewing audience at noon, 4pm 4:30pm, etc., because of stay at home mothers, shift workers and other populace variables in which revenue can be generated through advertising. Whereas here in Hawaii, that viewing audience isn't even measurable. Therefore the cost of a newscast versus the revenue isn't financially feasible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X