• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• l14dap
    replied
    Re: Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
    Why can't KHON have a late news at 9 PM (w/ the 10 PM newscast they already have). That way, they can also compete w/ K5 News at Nine. I also noticed that FOX stations on the mainlaind usually start their late news at least one hour earlier than the ABC, NBC, and CBS network affiliate stations.

I know that the media in Hawaii is really unique here. And maybe not too much news happen here locally, so I guess everything would be too repetitive?

Again, just something I noticed.
    Media in Hawaii is unique on so many levels. KHON seems to have a small staff of reporters and anchors, so I don't envision them starting a 9pm newscast anytime soon, otherwise like you said.. repetitive.

Leave a comment:

• l14dap
    replied

Originally posted by foolish heart View Post
    There just isn't enough hard news in Hawaii to justify a 12pm newscast etc.

And running a station in Hawaii costs major bucks, vs the mainland I'd bet.

Everything costs more...land, salaries, taxes.
    True. However, other markets on the mainland about the size of Hawaii basically rehash the same news stories from the morning newscast if there isn't anything new at noon.

I agree with the person who said the newscast was a little fast paced, but I don't mind it. I guess they're trying to be like a mainland morning news program.

Leave a comment:

• foolish heart
    replied

There just isn't enough hard news in Hawaii to justify a 12pm newscast etc.

And running a station in Hawaii costs major bucks, vs the mainland I'd bet.

Everything costs more...land, salaries, taxes.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

--We don't have a televised noon (12 pm) newscast.
    --We don't have an "expanded" evening newscast. Many stations on the mainland have newscasts at 4pm, 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm, and 6:30pm. Hawaii only has 5 pm and 6 pm newscasts.
    --Usually all major network stations have their late newscasts at 11 PM (instead of 10 PM here in Hawaii).
    --We don't have "weekend" morning newcasts.

And aside:
    All primetime programming on the mainland usually start at 8 PM, while we have our programming start one hour earlier at 7 PM.
    Depends on where you are on the Mainland.

Noon newscasts faded out of favor in major markets for a while, but have made a comeback in recent years. Evening newscasts here in Seattle are usually from 5-7 pm (though one station starts at 4), with only one half-hour of that being the network segment (two of them do that at 5:30, while one does it at 6.)

Midwestern stations (Central Time Zone) generally start their primetime programs at 7 and have news at 10, just as in Hawai`i.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

--We don't have an "expanded" evening newscast. Many stations on the mainland have newscasts at 4pm, 5pm, 5:30pm, 6pm, and 6:30pm. Hawaii only has 5 pm and 6 pm newscasts.
    Where on the mainland does this take place? And do these newscast touch on local events or national events or a mixture of both?

Leave a comment:

• bcr1652
    started a topic Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

I just noticed something, and I just wanted to get this out of my chest... that's all.

I've compared the amount of newscasts here in Hawaii as well as the mainland. I realized that there are many differences of what we have here compared to the mainland.

--We don't have a televised noon (12 pm) newscast.
    --Usually all major network stations have their late newscasts at 11 PM (instead of 10 PM here in Hawaii).
    --We don't have "weekend" morning newcasts.

And aside:
    All primetime programming on the mainland usually start at 8 PM, while we have our programming start one hour earlier at 7 PM.

and...

Why can't KHON have a late news at 9 PM (w/ the 10 PM newscast they already have). That way, they can also compete w/ K5 News at Nine. I also noticed that FOX stations on the mainlaind usually start their late news at least one hour earlier than the ABC, NBC, and CBS network affiliate stations.

I know that the media in Hawaii is really unique here. And maybe not too much news happen here locally, so I guess everything would be too repetitive?

Again, just something I noticed.
Working...
X