Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Amount of "newscasts" in Hawaii

I think the earlier poster who pointed out that Honolulu is just a middle-sized market got it right. You should be comparing Honolulu to other markets in the 60 and 70 range (Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Wichita, etc.) -- and in that case, Honolulu has just as many -- but more likely, more -- newscasts. Honolulu has four major newscasts at 6, for example, where even top-sized markets don't (like L.A. or Chicago, where Fox-owned stations air off-net syndicated fare, which is much more profitable).

Hawaii has always emulated Central/Mountain time (primetime from 7 to 10), rather than the Pacific/Eastern 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. primetime, so I don't think that's really relevant to whether our market has enough news.

But again, to be fair, I'd say Honolulu has more newscasts than most of the other markets its size.

And by the way, also don't forget that the Honolulu market produces much more original local programming than even the biggest markets.
    Last edited by Doctah; September 23, 2007, 07:45 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

I think the closest cities to the Honolulu tv market are Spokane, Wash. and Tuscon, Ariz. Could be wrong though. Last I checked Honolulu was about 78 and Spokane and Tuscon 72 and 75 respectively.

Comment

Geographically, it would be Spokane & Tuscon, However by market:

Tucson is #70 & moves to #68 in 2008, Hawaii is #72 & moves down to #73 in 2008 & Spokane remains at #77.

http://www.tvjobs.com/cgi-bin/markets/market2.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post

Tucson is #70 & moves to #68 in 2008, Hawaii is #72 & moves down to #73 in 2008 & Spokane remains at #77.

interesting, and thanks for that link too. so has anyone seen the news in springfield, missouri and toledo, ohio?

Comment

Originally posted by sin View Post
            interesting, and thanks for that link too. so has anyone seen the news in springfield, missouri and toledo, ohio?
            I've seen the news in Tucson, Arizona (just moved from there about 8 months ago). Except for the fact that they have noon newscasts, it's the same as here.

ONE station has a half-hour Saturday morning newscast that you might miss if you blink (it goes from 7am-7:30am) and that same station has a 4pm newscast which debuted a few weeks ago. So for the most part, medium size markets like Hawaii and Tucson are in the same boat IMO.

Hawaii emulates many larger markets like LA and NY in that there are so many solid anchors (and some reporters) that never LEAVE the market once they become anchors...they just move to another station across town.

Comment

Originally posted by Media Guy View Post

When I lived in Phoenix the KGUN and KOLD network stations in Tucson which I think are/were ABC and CBS respectively were high powered enough that you could watch them in the Phoenix market over 100 miles away.

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                When I lived in Phoenix the KGUN and KOLD network stations in Tucson which I think are/were ABC and CBS respectively were high powered enough that you could watch them in the Phoenix market over 100 miles away.

Aj

It helps also that the Tucson stations transmit from 9000 ft. high Mt. Bigelow in the Catalina Mountains just outside of Tucson.

Comment

I do agree that Hawaii has less "hard" news than the mainland, and that's maybe one of the reasons why we don't have all these noon and expanded evening newscasts.

As a Portland TV news viewer (BTW, I'm from Hawaii, but I attend college in Oregon), they do repeat news segments again. For example, at KGW (Portland's NBC affiliate) some of their stories at 6:00 pm come up again in their 6:30 newscast.

And, just an aside, I learned that KGW is formerly a sister station of KHNL, when KHNL was owned by Belo.

Comment

haha! Just when I mentioned at the start of this thread that hawaii doesn't have noon newscasts, looks like KHNL is launching one. Well, at 11 a.m. actually.

http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=7172133

Comment

Originally posted by bcr1652 View Post
                      haha! Just when I mentioned at the start of this thread that hawaii doesn't have noon newscasts, looks like KHNL is launching one. Well, at 11 a.m. actually.

http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=7172133
                      i'm actually suprised that kgmb doesn't launch a noonshow. don't they own the daytime ratings because of their soap opera programming? if so, they have the audience for it already.

Comment

Part of that calculation, of course, would be whether or not they would LOSE some of the soap traffic - those who are soap viewers but who may not like the "intrusion" of news into their daily routines.

Comment

Additional info on the KHNL 11 a.m. news available in Erika Engle's TheBuzz:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/10/05/business/engle.html

Comment

Here's my take for KHNL....
                            Is KHNL that desperate to put on an 11 a.m. newscast after knowing that they're last place in the morning news competition? I think the morning news will reflect how they will do on a midday newscast, ratings-wise.

I like the idea of having a midday newcast, but not with KHNL. I'd like KGMB or even KHON to have one. Yes, I know money, demographics, viewership, staff, etc. are critical factors... but again... I wish.

Comment

I've also noticed that a lot of the stations here have A LOT of paid programming in the late morning/early afternoon hours. I guess it must be financially safer (for the station) to show infomercials than airing something in syndication.

KGMB should replace that 11am-11:30am block of paid programming with a newscast. It wouldn't intrude into the soaps.

It'd be funny if KGMB's block of infomercials DOES BETTER THAN KHNL's midday newscast!

Comment

Those in television station management refer to paid programming as "tv herion." They get paid more money for that block of time than they can sell it locally or generate through spot buys in programmng or news. It's just too good to say no!

Comment

Working...
                                X