Hawaiians In Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiians In Texas

I guess i'll be the first to represent Dallas!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy06
      I guess i'll be the first to represent Dallas!!!!
      Go to the Lizard Lounge sometime, Thursday is goth/industrial night, Friday is techno/hip hop, Saturday is techno, and Sunday is goth/industrial again.

Best bartender is in the videobar (to the left of the entrance) and order your drinks by color IE "I'd like a blue drink"

Damn i miss that place..
      Got Absinthe?

Comment

I can't say first hand about Austin vs. Kona, but I can say about Houston vs. Kona and the overall property tax rate was similar. In Texas each school district will have its own tax rate, so the property taxes can vary quite a bit from place to place even in a metro area like Houston. They do have an optional program for seniors where the property taxes can be differed until the home is sold, which for some people is very valuable. Basically the taxes are paid out of the estate reducing the heirs payout, but reducing the cost to seniors on fixed incomes.

There is not an income tax here true, but then the sales tax is 8.25% in most urban areas. Some small towns will have a few % less due to no transportation authority tax, Metro here in Houston. In order to keep the sales tax from being overly regressive, they don't tax every money transaction like they do in Hawaii. Food, drugs, and most labor only services are not taxed - no tax when you got to the doctor, for example. Also at back to school time, they have a tax holiday weekend so people can buy school supplies tax free. The holiday is limited to clothes, shoes, school supplies and other items associated with going back to school. A real help for families with small children.

To fund stadiums and such they have a visitors tax that is like the accommodations tax in Hawaii. There is no tax on ordinary rent either. This is in addition to the standard taxes on rooms, rent cars and taxis, but only in certain areas like the airport and around the stadiums. It's not 25% like I paid on a rent car in Seattle, but the idea is to have the out of towners foot the bill rather than the locals.

Car insurance was about double in Hawaii than it was in Texas a few years ago. It cost me the same for one car in Hawaii as I paid for 2 cars in Houston and Houston is in one of the highest rate areas in the state. The insurance on our condo seemed to be about the same cost per 1000 as on our place in Houston.

So I guess there are pros and cons on the tax front. To me I would think the idea of Hawaii getting rid of or reducing the state income tax and increasing the sales tax with exemptions for necessities would be a better thing for the people of Hawaii. That way the visitors would take on more of the load every time they buy anything. Truth is visitors have been used to paying higher sales tax and would not notice it very much.
        Last edited by rbinck; February 2, 2006, 06:58 AM.
        Blog Of Hawaii
        High Definition Blog

Comment

Aloha fellow transplants!

I live in Houston and things are very nice in my area. Food, gas, cars, and homes are very affordable. I found a couple of sites on the web that helped with good information before my move www.houstonhawaiians.com and I found locals right away by contacting a Hawaiian Luau Catering & Entertianment company www.heavenlyhulagrams.com. I spoke to one Hawaiian and he knew where to find the rest . We can find Aloha Shoyu ($12.99/gal), luau leaves, Hellmann's mayonnaise a.k.a. Best Foods, tako (octopus) and small kine local favorites. I've visited Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio so far but I still like Kingwood the area I live in. I wish all the Islanders the best in making a good life for themselves outside of paradise.

Keepin' it Hawaiian in Texas,
          Maui

Comment

I was on a sales trip, staying at a hotel in Bedford, and during an afternoon walk, stopped into a gas station for a coke. Next door was a closet-sized Hawaiian Market run by a nice lady from Waiahae, selling coconuts, mangos, boiled peanuts and some clothes. A nice break in an otherwise cultural void.

Comment

Aloha,

I just moved to Austin in June 2007. I'm so home sick for Hawaii. I want to go back and never leave, But thats not going to happen right now. Now that I know there are some of us out this way I was wondering if any one wanted to get together and just hang. Trade e-mails or phone numbers. I miss the local way, you know what I mean. Oh by the way if any of you are from the Pa or Komomua Ohana You just found one more ohana member. Any how, Everyone take care and have a good day.

Aloha,
              Hokulani

Comment

Originally posted by hoku View Post
                Aloha all we live in a small city in the middle of San Antonio and Austin,
                we love it here but would love to move back home we have met a huge amount of locals here in Texas I was surprised that there were so many Hawaiians in Texas.

Aloha everyone it has been a long while since I have been to this web site you know with the facebook nowadays it seems this site just got lost in the back of my mind. anyways we are still here in Kyle (in the middle of San Antonio and Austin) going on 10 years now, we are very happy and yes we still miss home but we have come to love it here also...and guess what you locals would not believe me but we found ogo (limu) on a beach down at the coast omg I could not believe my eyes, we made ahi poke and taco poke that week and enjoyed the taste of fresh ogo. anyways just wAnted to update Alohaz all

Comment

hey hoku where do you live? We live very close to Austin let me know if you can

Comment

Howzit! my name is Kalani, back in da hanabada days I was known as Johnny Young, I was raised in Sea View/Crest view near Waipio Gentry.

I ran into this forum a few weeks ago. I figured why not join. We living in Cibolo Tx. now, knida close to San Antonio, about 45 mins from Austin.

I grad from Waipahu High in 79', my wife from Farrington (I not going tell you what yr.......or I going be knocking on your door asking for one place for live LOL!!)

We been here just over 2 yrs now, I miss home soooooo much yea but I know that it better for da ohana for live over here, being here lets us do more things then just pay bills and sit at home and wait for da next pay check..............then do it over again yea. Its way more cheap living here and we can actualy do things and not have to stay home cause no mo kala for do family stuff.

But, as I said, Hawai'i will always be my home, and some day after we retire we going go back home........maybe.

Comment

Working...
                    X