Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiians In Texas

Aloha all we live in a small city in the middle of San Antonio and Austin,
    we love it here but would love to move back home we have met a huge amount of locals here in Texas I was surprised that there were so many Hawaiians in Texas.

Re: Hawaiians In Texas

hope u guys showing da haole people up dea how fo eat, cook, and grind hawaiian food!! hehehe

makem eat rice and stop with da potatoes!! lol no foget da mac salad eh!!
    Reggie aka pinakboy
    Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
    Raw Eats Veggie Videos
    Recipe Tube TV!
    Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

aloha hoku! welcome to hawaiithreads.com

my cousin from Texas had a wedding party for his daughter this past Friday. Lots of Hawaiians from Texas came too. I know Texas is a big state but do you know the Aspera's?

once again, welcome. see you on the boards.

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

E komo mai, Hoku. Austin is an awesome town. It's also about the only town in TX that I could tolerate because almost everybody is from somewhere else! A woman I know there says Austin is like an outpost in the wilderness, about the only place where big hair is not seen too often and not everybody says "y'all"

Dallas is OK too (except for the bad tasting water), but I really like Austin a lot.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yah when we have friends over they always ask for the Shoyu Chicken and the sticky rice

Comment

Aloha, can you tell me if there is any island groups in Austin/San Antonio? Formal or informal, or are there any places they seem to gather? Plus do you know if there are any eateries run by island people?

Mahalo...

Comment

Intereting to see that there are so many Texans coming to Hawaii too, is there an exchange program that i missed? :-P
              Got Absinthe?

Comment

You could probably contact Tropical Productions and Island Rhythms out of Austin. I've met the folks from both, and they could definitely tell you more about the island groups and businesses.

There are also hâlaus in San Antonio (I don't know how recent this info is. I got it from mele.com):
                I only know of a couple eateries in Houston:
                Last edited by Ailina; October 9, 2005, 10:43 PM.
                ~'Ailina

Comment

Mahalo Ailina, very helpful and will certainly put me in the right direction...mahalo plenty. Jimmy

Comment

We'll be moving to Austin TX in Dec 2005.
                    Is there a large community of Hawaii-Pacific Islanders there?
                    (I know in Washington & Oregon - there are a lot of locals).

Quick Question: How do you like Austin, TX? the people? culture? weather? quality of life? job growth?

Comment

Originally posted by owens
                      We'll be moving to Austin TX in Dec 2005.
                      Is there a large community of Hawaii-Pacific Islanders there?
                      (I know in Washington & Oregon - there are a lot of locals).

Quick Question: How do you like Austin, TX? the people? culture? weather? quality of life? job growth?
                      Don't live there, but have visited there twice. What I know about Austin: it's the bastion of liberalism (compared to everywhere else in TX). Lots of people are from "somewhere else". It's pretty cosmopolitan. It has some large bodies of water, but nothing like being in Hawai'i or on the West Coast. Lots of minimalls all over to the place. Capital of live music. Not as many big haired women as Dallas.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just FYI, big hair mostly died out in the 1980's...
                        Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
                          Just FYI, big hair mostly died out in the 1980's...
                          Except in the Big D, where big hair is still seen very frequently.

Miulang

Comment

Nope, sorry :-P

Spent the last 15 years in "Big D" and the only time big hair was seen, was on TV shows about "Big D" or on little old ladys.

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Except in the Big D, where big hair is still seen very frequently.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Alarick; October 22, 2005, 09:50 AM.
                            Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
                              Nope, sorry :-P

Spent the last 15 years in "Big D" and the only time big hair was seen, was on TV shows about "Big D" or on little old ladys.
                              Saw some at a function for Pres. H.W. Bush at a huge hotel (the Anatole?) across from the Dallas Tech Center where I also happened to be staying. Shaq was staying there with the Magic too. Lots of big haired ladies, smoking cigarettes and wearing these glittery gowns dripping in jewels. They may not be running around with big hair during the day, but in the evening, all bets are off.

Miulang
                              Last edited by Miulang; October 22, 2005, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X