Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

It's been 17 years since I lived on Oahu (since 1989). Father was stationed there for 3 1/2 years at Schofield Barracks. Miss it SO much. Finally getting to go back next year for vacation! I'm SO excited! Depending on how it goes, I may end up moving back. Some of my fondest memories are there. Compared to D.C., it's not that bad as far as costs go. I love the laid back life style and just the overall feel of the island.

Comment

Went away for school, but came right back after 5 years ago. No can handle the mainland since no more good poke, no more good beach. No more Zippy's and no more lunch wagons. 5 years is like a lifetime sentence .... and no can handle!

(Wish had more jobs, with cheaper rent, with less stress and more pay, but this is one island, so can't have everything!)

Comment

It's been 24 years...and isn't it odd that people who haven't been back in that long all sound as homesick as if they left it last year?

A couple of teenager's memories that I know are long gone:

* 69 KKUA Honolulu (but I have a couple audiotapes from August 81)
        * Riding The Bus from Aiea to Waikiki for what, 25 cents?
        * Daiei at Pearlridge
        * Macadamia Nut Factory at Waikiki (we'd have lunch, down it with a Diamond Head punch from an ABC store, then go get a sample for "dessert")!
        * Buying my new school clothes at Foxmoor (Pearlridge)...pretty big thing for a girl from Northern California!
        * Playing Mini Golf at Castle Park over by Aloha Stadium I got my golf ball stuck for good in the windmill one, good grief
        * Buying generic food at downstairs Daiei...only because it preceded a hysterical attempt at spaghetti that was better suited to mudding new drywall than actually eating!
        * Checking out the gorgeous 1981/1982 Magnum PI-style Ferraris and dreaming of the day I, too, could afford the gargantuan price of $58,000! (I still can't afford it!)
        * Paradise Park (that's gone, isn't it? A parrot did something unmentionable on my shoulder there but other than that, a fond memory)
        * Sugar Shack at International Marketplace (those funky colored/layered sugar jars that we got for decoration)
        * Rap Reiplinger
        * Andy Bumatai or is he still around? (cookie-plate-pushem!)
        * Waikiki Theater
        * Kam Drive-In in Aiea (and swapmeets there too)...although I hear the swapmeets still go on, oddly enough.

Do they still have the bumper cars at Fun Factory in Pearlridge? I bet they're gone too...liability insurance and all...

But one of the things I miss the MOST is walking down Waikiki Beach--from Kuhio Beach to Ala Moana--during sunset and dusk. I also miss smelling Plumeria anytime I want...I bought a couple Plumeria trees (little ones), but although they put out gorgeous green leaves, they don't like Maine and won't flower for me!

I miss taking that weird tram between the Pearlridge buildings. Or stopping for a few pineapple spears at the Dole plantation after scuba diving at Shark's Cove...(sigh). And I understand that there is now a bridge over to Ford Island at Pearl Harbor??? How bizarre!

THERE! What are your memories???

Karina in Maine
        Did you ever notice that "What the hell" is always the right decision?

Comment

I have been lurking for a long time, I know ...

I've been living away since 1986 when I started college and I am still in school. lol

I do plan to eventually move back with my family.

Comment

Originally posted by girlstar View Post
            I have been lurking for a long time, I know ...
            heheheh...

I had to look three times at the date!

Welcome and ALOHA!

You shua was lurking a loooong time!

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

8 long years. I'm feeling particularly sad mellows of seperation lately

Comment

1 year and 2 months.

Comment

I've only been there twice and didn't fall in love with the culture until seventh grade. I wonder if I was born with the island feeling in my heart or if it just found its way inside me during my seventh grade year. The second trip there was even better than the first because on the second one, I knew way more about Hawaiian culture than I did on my first one. I want to go back, and everybody wants me to come back also.
                  'Alika

Comment

20 months now........even DAT seems like a long time!
                    (also must count the time I was deployed, 15 months)

but through it all, I'm STILL HAWAI'IAN! DAS DAT!

-S-

Comment

When I left Paradise which was this month The 31st I believe back in 1998 its going to be 9 Years though I was on Oahu for 1 good hour back in 2003 during a connecting flight to Maui though.

Comment

Working...
                      X