Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

I moved away from Hawaii in 1986 when my dad got transferred to Nebraska. Haven't been back since, but I would love to visit there, and hopefully live there someday! Yeah I know...wishful thinking, but it could happen!

Comment

Left hawaii in 1998. I usually try to make trips back to hawaii at least once a year. Like all you guys, when I'm there I get my fill of all the local grinds...and then figure out how to burn off all that stuff when I get back..

Comment

2 or 3 of you here were there when i was then, be 'kine funny if we went to the same school. We left in November of 81, not too long after Hurricane Ewa----anyone remember that!? Spent a month at home before going on to the dreaded Georgia.......
        Doe anyone know when and why they removed the cross from Kole Kole pass?? I wanted to cry when i read that online a few months ago, couldnt and still cant believe it! My brother (god rest his soul) and I used to climb inside the cross to the top and it symbolized what it did, how could they have removed it!!!?
        If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Doe anyone know when and why they removed the cross from Kole Kole pass?? I wanted to cry when i read that online a few months ago, couldnt and still cant believe it! My brother (god rest his soul) and I used to climb inside the cross to the top and it symbolized what it did, how could they have removed it!!!?
          The ACLU struck again, upset there was a religious symbol the "poor" public was "forced" to look at?! (G)
          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
            The ACLU struck again, upset there was a religious symbol the "poor" public was "forced" to look at?! (G)
            Not quite. The Kolekole Pass cross had a lawsuit against it from Hawaii Citizens for the Separation of State and Church, which in part led the Army to decide to scrap it in 1997. Also, they weren't using it for Easter services any more. It was the Camp H. M. Smith cross that the ACLU sued against a few years earlier.

Comment

LOL a rose by any other name, still stinks? No, wait...those that sue to save someone's eyes from such er....oh nevah mind, I get it. (G) thanks~
              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Thanks for the info Glen and Karen.....I guess I'll just have to make do of my old pic of it as I havent been able to find any pix of it online.

Comment

Here's a photo of the Kolekole Pass cross, just before it was dismantled.

Comment

Thanks. My picture is too light to clearly tell that my deceased brother is on top like this guy but its almost the same shot. I was sitting here getting ticked off while ago looking thru stuff and seeing how the main basis was religious reasons.........it was just plain beautiful when I was able to see it from my bedroom window while living on Schofield all those years ago and that doesnt have jack to do with religion.

Comment

Aiyaaaaa.....! Jus' realize I stay away from Hawai'i nei almos' eleven years awraddy!

Mmmmmph....whea da tissues? Da maka stay all wet lidat...musta get sumteen in um.
                      E ala mai 'o loko i ke kuhohonu o ke aloha

Comment

I'm going on my 6th year away from the islands. We make it back at least once a year. The changes happening in the Kakaako are is cool.
                        Leila
                        Blue Ridge Telecom
                        Blueridge Telecom

Comment

I made 10 years in January. Hard to believe. Did most of us know we'd be gone so long when we stepped on that plane? I SWORE it wouldn't be more than a year.

And did most of us cry like a big baby? I didn't have a window seat on the way back. I'm kinda glad of it, too, because I know I would've made a big scene. I was inconsolable for at least a year.

I cried at the drop of a hat. Every time I'd hear Bob Marley...every time I'd look around and see the FLAT BROWN landscape, or the highway littered with billboards....

You know, my shoes had the red dirt on them forever. I didn't want to throw them away because they still had Hawaiian soil on them. And my Hawai`i drivers license!!! I hung onto that for two years! Then, I got my Louisiana license, and they confiscated it. I begged them to punch a hole in it or something, anything to let me keep it because "it's sentimental," but they had no mercy.

Dad tried to comfort me by taking me to a halau performance in Texas, but it had the opposite effect. I cried the whole time.

Sucks, but.
                          ~'Ailina

Comment

I cried big time! Almost didn't wanna go onto the plane! Husband was in the Army and stationed out of Schofield...oldest daughter born at Tripler Army Med Center. I swear I didn't do it on purpose...while packing I accidently threw our plane tix away! Army had re-issue a second set! Fort Riley, Kansas was out in the middle of nowhere but I loved the slower pace there. It did remind me of home!
                            Lovena

Comment

It's been just about 11 years since I left Hawai'i to come to Florida for college. I used to go home every summer and Christmas time for a few years, but then, I started only going for Christmas so that I could take summer classes. Then, eventually, I couldn't even go back for summer because I nevah have kala.

Now I have a job here and a fiance that works here. Kind of stuck little bit. We try to go back whenever we can. We went there last summer. That was the first time I'd been back in like three years. Was real good to be back there. We going back there this December to get married and visit da 'ohana.

One of these days, I would love to move back, but I know it's hard. I just have to win the lottery or something first.
                              Free iPod
                              Free Flatscreen

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics
                                Fort Riley, Kansas was out in the middle of nowhere but I loved the slower pace there. It did remind me of home!
                                I lived at Fort Riley for a while, too. I worked at the bank there on Fort Riley. For me, in the dead of winter, it was the furthest thing from Hawai'i I'd ever experienced--next to Texas. But then, we never met any Hawaiian Club or anything.

I know what you mean about not even wanting to get on the plane. What's worse, one of my best friends barely made it to say goodbye. She talked the attendants into letting her walk back into the plane to hug me goodbye! I can't tell you how bad I wanted to just grab up my family and follow her back into the airport!
                                ~'Ailina

Comment

Working...
                                X