Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long have you lived away from Hawaii!

I've been away for 5 years. We make it home at least once a year.
    La'akea

Comment

I asked how long you've been away at your introduction but I guess I know now.
      Send POI

Comment

I'm going on 8 years. It's tough but the web makes it small kine a little easier. You guys might want to check out www.homegrownhawaii.com if your looking for friends or family or want to show some high school pride. It's pretty neat. Anyway, hope you guys are all doing alright away from da islands!
        Kaleo
        HomegrownHawaii.com - classmates, friends...ohana!

Comment

Hello all, this is the first thread I read, so I'm going to post here, then head over to the intro board and make another introduction... anyhow... I spent my early childhood on the big island, in hilo and kamuela mostly. I left when I was 9 or 10, and I'm 20 now, so I've been away around a decade (!) and have only been back once when I was 13 or 14, for a summer, on oahu. I really miss my family, but I don't miss the drama (which I guess I only faintly remember, because I was a child and didn't have to deal with it... but if the amount of drama my mom has to deal with over the phone is any indication, there must've been lots when we lived there). I'd like to move back, perhaps sooner than later, but some things have to fall into place if I do. I have to admit, the prospect makes me rather apprehensive, as while I do wish very much to go back, I think that I might not mesh so well as I did as a child. My mannerisms are very... western, for lack of a better word, and I guess I just feel that I would be at a loss as far as being able to relate with my peers/cousins... That was certainly the case when I went back for that one summer, years ago. Anyhow, I'm interested in trying to 'plug in' to a Hawaii-based message board, thought it might do me some good.
          "We suffocate among people who think they are absolutely right, whether in their machines or their ideas. And for all those who can live only in an atmosphere of human dialogue, the silence is the end of the world."
          -Albert Camus

Comment

Originally posted by homesick
            My mannerisms are very... western, for lack of a better word, and I guess I just feel that I would be at a loss as far as being able to relate with my peers/cousins... That was certainly the case when I went back for that one summer, years ago. Anyhow, I'm interested in trying to 'plug in' to a Hawaii-based message board, thought it might do me some good.
            Eh, no worries, anden. I have lived away from da 'aina longer than I lived on Maui and I tink da 'aina is bred into you and stays with you no matter how long you stay away. It's a good thing that you are now interested in embracing your roots even with all da pilikia in da past. Your 'ohana will always be your 'ohana, through all da good and da bad times.

Malama pono,
            Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              Eh, no worries, anden. I have lived away from da 'aina longer than I lived on Maui and I tink da 'aina is bred into you and stays with you no matter how long you stay away. It's a good thing that you are now interested in embracing your roots even with all da pilikia in da past. Your 'ohana will always be your 'ohana, through all da good and da bad times.

Malama pono,
              Miulang

thanks, that is comforting to hear.
              "We suffocate among people who think they are absolutely right, whether in their machines or their ideas. And for all those who can live only in an atmosphere of human dialogue, the silence is the end of the world."
              -Albert Camus

Comment

I sadly left Hawaii in 1998 and have been dwelling here in California since then...........
                I always get asked WHY did you leave paradise?
                WELL..... Hawaii will ALWAYS be home to me and its nice and all but deep down for me home life was NOT doin it for me and felt a change was needed and I needed to take that chance and do it........
                What was kinda hard was that I left great people that I worked w/ who I knew at least 10 years and seemed like my second family.... I was more to close to my fellow co-workers that what was goin on at home personally.... SIGH...... I miss Hulas (at the old location) it was fun when I was absorbing every moment of it before they had to close up.........
                I did briefly make a visit to the islands January 2003 but actually to Maui that is and was on Oahu for a good hour or so......
                I dunno if I will trek back again to Oahu but would like to visit Waikiki, Ala Moana Center and Pearlridge Center and see the MANY changes.......

Comment

eH! COME BACK HOME!

Drums of the islands is beating in your heart
                  It's with you where ever where you roam
                  Wher ever you wander, whenever you're apart
                  Remember, the DRUMS will lead HOME!

To live and be unhappy is no way to live...

The Islands await your return!
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha Blalahs & Sistas,

Anyone live in Las Vegas? Just moved here a few months ago.

Kalei
                    So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99
                      Aloha Blalahs & Sistas,

Anyone live in Las Vegas? Just moved here a few months ago.

Kalei
                      Blalahs & Sistas...that's cute. Just wanted to welcome you to Hawai'i Threads. I'm going to Las Vegas late March but not to live. I wish I took that chance when I was much younger, I love bright lights and the night life...well, I used to.heheheheheh
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My husband and I have lived away from Hawaii for 15 years now. I am new to the boards and posted an introduction this morning. We we stationed at Schofield twice during his army career. Hawaii is the first place we lived together as husband and wife....it is HOME to us. We arrived on Oahu just a week after we were married in 1976. There is no place as beautiful as Hawaii on this entire earth and we have many happy memories to cherish. We both miss it terribly and have not been able to make it back for a visit. My husband and I dream of living there someday...oh how we dream!! He now works as a contractor at the air force base here and he is always on the internet looking for jobs on Oahu.

Comment

4 years and counting!

Comment

I lived on O'ahu for 28 years. I wanted to see what the Mainland was all about regarding success so I told myself I will go for 2 years and I will be back. Well, it is now 5 years and I am still living in Vegas. It was extremely difficult at first but I was able to adapt because of Lake Mead. I call it my "Sandy Beach". It is my only escape.
                            I come home twice a year and it is very refreshing. OH, I MISS THE FOOD. I always hit Rainbows, Zippy's, Byrons, and Magoo's Pizza. Believe it or not there are 2 Longs Drugs in Henderson and they have a Hawaiian Products section. You can buy all of the Hawaiian Sun drinks, Mochi Crunch, Frozen Zippy's, Kalbi Ribs, and Mays Teriyaki Hamburger Patties(My Favorite). With the huge Hawaiian population in Vegas they say that this section produces the highest sales then any other section in Longs.
                            All is good here. Landed a great job with the MGM Grand and now own 2 homes here. I do not plan to return to live in Hawaii because of the economy. I thought I would never say that in my life. I miss the beach everyday. I even have dreams of it at times. That is when I know to start planning for trip back home to visit.
                            Last edited by Da Duke; September 10, 2005, 10:52 AM.

Comment

left home in 68", but go home every chance i get.

Comment

Way too dang long ~ 32 years! Am I da record holder here? Pretty sad, huh.
                                ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Working...
                                X