Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would you move back to Hawaii?

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
    Yes, I will be moving back to Hawaii. The date is still in the air, but it will probably be sometime next year, after my son graduates from college.

The crimes, the home invaders, the gangs, the traffic accidents.. OMG, its freakin ridiculous!
    Wait a second, you think we dont have those things in Hawaii? I've had our car stolen out of our garage, laundry soap (can people get that petty?) stolen from our back laundry area 3 or 4 times in the past year, we have had a dozen pedestrian deaths so far this calendar year, last summer on RoundTop Drive they had a home invasion, another one was in Kaimuki, we have graffiti sprayed over many buildings, traffic accidents caused by reckless drivers on the freeway, etc. I'm sure others could add to this...but
    I hope you don't think coming here will get you away from those things you mention.

KalihiBoy

Comment

[quote=Kalihiboy;146109]
      Originally posted by Mililani View Post
      Yes, I will be moving back to Hawaii. The date is still in the air, but it will probably be sometime next year, after my son graduates from college.

The crimes, the home invaders, the gangs, the traffic accidents.. OMG, its freakin ridiculous!

Wait a second, you think we dont have those things in Hawaii? I've had our car stolen out of our garage, laundry soap (can people get that petty?) stolen from our back laundry area 3 or 4 times in the past year, we have had a dozen pedestrian deaths so far this calendar year, last summer on RoundTop Drive they had a home invasion, another one was in Kaimuki, we have graffiti sprayed over many buildings, traffic accidents caused by reckless drivers on the freeway, etc. I'm sure others could add to this...but
      I hope you don't think coming here will get you away from those things you mention.

KalihiBoy
      Not exactly sure where you live but over crowding could be the factor that promotes crime in densely populated areas. When people are crowded together they become irritable with each other. Too many people in too small of a space breeds strangeness. People no longer know their neighbors and as a consequence they don’t watch out for each other. People want what their neighbors have and soon they become greedy and the “ethics of necessity takes over”. Soon they take what does not belong to them, (or try to) thus crime proliferates and people start fearing for their lives and their belongings. Could this be a factor in your area? Just a thought…
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post

KalihiBoy
        Both my parents are from the Big Island, the father of my boys is from the big island, tons and tons of family members live on the big island, guess where I'm going?

Although I was raised in Honolulu (more specifically Kalihi) I know it's no place I'd like to live, today. But, I still think Hawaii is better than here........
        A proud sponsor of
        http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
          If you go read forums about Portland, you'll hear a lot of people talking about how cool it is and how nice people are, etc, etc... and you'll find a hard core of very angry, bitter people who paint a picture of this city that is far from the average every day experience.
          You're so right! A friend of mine moved here from back East (New Hampshire), and all I heard from her was how horrible Portland was compared to the East. How there is no culture here, people acted differently than back East (read more laid back), and how we don't have the kind of history here that they have back East. She complained about it for two years before moving back to NH.

She couldn't appreciate the gorgeous mountain views, the Columbia River Gorge, the waterfalls, the weather, the friendliness of the people, the abundance of green and the mild climate.

She couldn't appreciate it because she was always comparing Portland to New Hampshire. It seems to me that the way to fully appreciate where you live is to stop the dang comparing! Portland will never be like New Hampshire. Hawai‘i, where I was born and raised, will never be like Portland, but I can appreciate the Pacific Northwest for what it is, separate and different from Hawai‘i, but not lacking in its own charm and good things.

I miss home like crazy, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying this area and taking advantage of the things that it offers. I don't compare it to Hawai‘i (well, maybe small kine, when I walk barefoot into the ocean! ).

I know a few people here who vacation in Hawai‘i and come home complaining that it's not like Portland! Well, sheesh, waddya expect?

People need to stop comparing and appreciate each city/county for what it has to offer instead of griping about what it doesn't have.

Aloha,
          Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
            [...]
            People need to stop comparing and appreciate each city/county for what it has to offer instead of griping about what it doesn't have.
            High 10, Mokihana!

Comment

i'd love to live in kauai. don't know how you can afford it though. property is just too expensive and well-paying jobs seem to be few.

will be playing GA mega millions 2nite!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderlust View Post
                i'd love to live in kauai. don't know how you can afford it though. property is just too expensive and well-paying jobs seem to be few.

will be playing GA mega millions 2nite!
                There are jobs on Kauai lot's of them in the hospitality industry and if you have management experience and a degree you are pretty much in demand. If not you can always find work in the restaurant and retail business if you just want to get by. There is such a need for airport screeners they are bringing them in from other locations to work on Kauai. Property is off the charts there probably more expensive than SF, but there are always trade offs in life. It all depends on what phase of your life you're in if I were in my 20's ~ 30's I probably would have chosen Oahu but since I value my peace, serenity and pristine beauty Kauai was the obvious choice. Follow your heart, have faith and the rest will fall into place.
                "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                  It all depends on what phase of your life you're in if I were in my 20's ~ 30's I probably would have chosen Oahu but since I value my peace, serenity and pristine beauty Kauai was the obvious choice.
                  According to my friends, if you're a young adult looking to get established and find a mate, Kauai sucks. But if you're married and raising a family, Kauai is great.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    According to my friends, if you're a young adult looking to get established and find a mate, Kauai sucks. But if you're married and raising a family, Kauai is great.
                    Exactly....it's all so a great place for "creative" endeavors and peace of mind. Don’t know what it is but when I’m on Kauai I simply feel “softer”. But in my party days, no way, definitely very little action! Not the place for young people trying to get established as you said. I think each of the Islands has something for everyone and I'm looking forward to spending more time on all of them when I move. My sister is on Hawaii Island and loves it. Not enough "beach" for me, and I actually like the rain...

Comment

As my dad once said, the difference between "peaceful" and "dead" is if you like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        As my dad once said, the difference between "peaceful" and "dead" is if you like it or not.
                        LOL
                        Another good one I heard last night, My friend asked her aged mother if getting old was a battle, she said honey it's more like a damn war!!! I remeber when I was a kid people refering to older women as "battle axes"? I always wondered where that expression came from.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
                          I remeber when I was a kid people refering to older women as "battle axes"? I always wondered where that expression came from.
                          Here's one reference:
                          A battle is an armed fight. And an axe is a tool for cutting trees. Word expert Christine Ammer says the two words were joined in the early nineteen hundreds. During those days, people began to call a fierce-acting woman a battle-axe. Soon the saying became popular.
                          From this source.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Here's one reference: From this source.
                            Thanks Leo I guess one does have to become "fierce" when facing death...

Comment

I've been trying to reply to this thread for a while now and thanks to Ryan I finally can. Thank you Ryan!

When I first found this forum I was drawn to this thread and while reading it felt compelled to reply to the statements of racism that were brought up.

First a bit about myself. I was born in Honolulu at Kapiolani Hospital, 1964. Attached is a picture of my familly in Hawaii that was taken in the 70s. Obviously I have local blood running through my veins but there is a problem. My mother was Haouli.

The story goes that my father's parents was going to turn their backs on him if he married my mother but that all changed after I was born as I am the first son of a first son. I was accepted then but my mom had other plans and we left the islands when I was around 6-7 years old. I didn't have any contact with my father until I was 12 years old when he found us and visited when we were in California. He died later that year and I never knew about it until I turned 27.

When my dad visited me he wanted to take me back to Maui where he lived to meet my half brothers and sisters, I have two of each. But again, he had died. I returned to Honolulu when I was 20 and on my own and worked on Waikiki Beach for Leroy Ah Choy as a beach boy. I guess it was due to my skin color that I was never hassled about being Haouli or Hapa, it was never an issue.

My mom came to live in Waikiki again and on my 27th birthday she asked what I wanted and I told her "my dad". After work one day she called me and said she had good news and bad news. The good news was she found my dads familly and, well, the bad news was he had died. That next day I saw my grand father and grand mother for the first time since I was a small kid. It was emotional to say the least.

The thing is that for the last 7 years I was local but in my new found familly's eye's I was now a Haouli and treated in a way I can't understand to this day. My grand mother died and this was the first time I was to actually see and meet my brothers and sisters. I was sad about my grand mother but excited to meet my brothers and sisters to bad the feeling was not mutual.

To make a long story short my one sister actually ran away from me as I was walking toward her to say hi. My other sister was no where to be seen and my brothers would not even say a word to me. Although there were a few cousins that went out of their way to make me feel welcomed many others actually went out of their way to do the opposite. I never got to say a word to my brothers or sisters, they would have no part of it, I was not and will never be a part of their familly. It is their choice.

I left Hawaii 14 years ago and went back 2 years ago to work and live. Although I had my friends I still feel very lonely there watching everyone with their famillies knowing that inside I am local but my own familly will have nothing to do with me because I am Hapa. The funny thing is that while on the Big Island meeting people who are true Hawaiians, 1/2 blood lines, I am accepted as being local to the point of being called "Hawaiian" while people of mixed blood without any Hawaiian call me a Haouli. True Hawaiians have and always will have a place in my heart.

4th of July in 06 I walked down Waikiki beach toward Ft. De Russy. I saw all the famillies making their spot on the beach to watch the fireworks and it was just to much for me. Wherever my local familly was I would never be part of them. The sadness of that is to much for me to handle, my heart is broken over this.

I cannot go back and this is why.

When the difference of blood come in the way of love and familly there is a great problem. I know every local person is not like this but there are some that still act this way. I want those who do to read this to realize that hearts can and will be broken beyond repair. The color of ones skin or the way they talk should never be the reason for turning ones back on another especially when blood is involved.

Sorry this was so long and thank you if you read it......
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Zendik; July 22, 2007, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Aloha Zendik!! Mahalo for sharing your story with us. You can be part of my Ohana anytime. I welcome you with open arms plus a whole lot of Love and ALOHA!!

Sincerely,

Auntie Lynn Vasquez
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X