Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on the Hawai`i / Seattle connection

From today's Seattle Times.

I spoke at length with the reporter a couple weeks ago as she was researching this story, along with several follow-up e-mails to give her additional information and answer further questions. (She e-mailed me yesterday to say that none of my quotes made it into the story, but that she used a number of my contacts and ideas for additional research.) Ms. Liu is a relatively recent transplant to Seattle, but her boyfriend is from Hawai`i - and it was through his beginning explorations into the Hawaiian community in the area that she got the story idea.

Re: More on the Hawai`i / Seattle connection

She should have listed you as reference and thanked you.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      She should have listed you as reference and thanked you.
      Nah - not necessary. As much as my ego would like to have been quoted (as it was in this story from a few years back), it made more sense for her to actually quote folks originally from the Islands. I'm just someone who's luckily been accepted into the community.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Nah - not necessary. As much as my ego would like to have been quoted (as it was in this story from a few years back), it made more sense for her to actually quote folks originally from the Islands. I'm just someone who's luckily been accepted into the community.
        Leo, go check your emails!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
          Leo, go check your emails!!!
          I did. No need for pilikia. I was happy to be a resource, a facilitator - it's something I enjoy. It's honor enough to be considered knowledgeable about a community that I've come into from the outside. My ego will survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
            I did. No need for pilikia. I was happy to be a resource, a facilitator - it's something I enjoy. It's honor enough to be considered knowledgeable about a community that I've come into from the outside. My ego will survive.
            heheheh

Just remember, Auntie Pupule is always ready to help my Online Ohana!

Love and ALOHA

Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule

Comment

Just kind of noticed this thread. I've got a ton of ex-pat HI Kai cohorts now living in Seattle. Most moved in the early 90s, when it was still the most important city in music in the US.

Yo, Leo, if you ever make it into the watering hole The Gnarr (I think it's in the U-District), ask for my buddy Mason. He's the bartender. Be advised that he is the most awfully obnoxious Steelers fan in the known universe. We've been pals since little league baseball. He's a hoot, and can connect you with a bunch of other lunatic ex-pats like himself.
              Don't be mean,
              try to help.

Comment

Leo!

I'll be in Seattle the week of Thanksgiving, performing at the Comedy Underground Fri/Sat Nov 23/24. But I get in early that week, and would love to wala'au over some coffee and pick your brain about where to get some good lau lau in your town.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                  Leo!

I'll be in Seattle the week of Thanksgiving, performing at the Comedy Underground Fri/Sat Nov 23/24. But I get in early that week, and would love to wala'au over some coffee and pick your brain about where to get some good lau lau in your town.
                  Uwajimaya in the International District has some that I think come from Hawaii if you're thinking of taking some back with you. They're sold down by the meat counter.

If you mean to go eat in a restaurant, there's Kona Kitchen (Sunday special only), Kauai Family Restaurant and way up north in Everett, Bobby's Hawaiian Kitchen (seen on the Food Network).

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
                    Leo!

You got it - check your PM's and we can figure out when and where. Looking forward to seeing you at last!

Comment

I'll drop you a line Leo!

And thanks, Miulang. I'll be sure to check those places out.

Comment

Working...
                      X