Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Place to Rent

Hi!
    Where is Upper Palolo? Is it a nice area to live in? Convenient? Close to the beach? I found an ad for a cute studio apartment there that is in my price range.
    What areas do you guys recommend on the windward side of Oahu? We just want cheap rent, nice and respectful neighbors who are also cool, close to the beach, reasonably easy access to the highway, good environment for my turtle (not a highrise), stuff like that.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Re: Upper Palolo?

Well Palolo is in a valley called Palolo Valley. Upper Palolo must be near the back end of the valley meaning lots of rain. And "near the beach" is a relative statement. It would be a long walk from the back of Palolo but a short drive. It also means expensive anytime you're within proximity to a beach.

Cute studio apartment can mean a lot too. Most homes are either completely remodeled or are very old in that area. My 23-year old boy is living on Gardenia street in a one-bedroom built over a garage. The bedroom is about as big as the bed itself (fullsize) and when you lay down on the living room floor, you become the floor covering (wall to wall). It's small, it's cramped, it's hot and it's $950 per month. But it's near UH Manoa! And that's what makes it so expensive.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to personally seeing some rentals next week, cuz I need to get a better idea as to how housing works in Hawaii. Its not as easy as it sounds, trying to get info about good apartments online. They all look pretty good in the pictures, when I can get pictures.

Does anyone know where I can find a map online that lists all of the community names that I'm seeing in these ads? Like a real estate map?

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
        Thanks! I'm really looking forward to personally seeing some rentals next week, cuz I need to get a better idea as to how housing works in Hawaii. Its not as easy as it sounds, trying to get info about good apartments online. They all look pretty good in the pictures, when I can get pictures.

Does anyone know where I can find a map online that lists all of the community names that I'm seeing in these ads? Like a real estate map?

try google maps.

also, regarding the windward side of the island: i own a home in kailua and rent out our cottage for $1100/mth including utilities. 1b/1b/2p. pets no problem. no smoking. 1 year lease. we live app. 1 block away from kailua beach. the amount of rent in this area is around the same. could be a little more or less. we haven't raised our tenant's rent in 3 years. but, might have to because the utilitiy companies have had several increases. she also has use to her own washer and dryer. most landlords won't even consider someone who isn't physically here on island and don't be shocked if you have to produce or pay for a credit check and/or pay general exise tax on top of the rent. it's not unusual. but, we don't charge it to the tenant.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Hi!
          Where is Upper Palolo? Is it a nice area to live in? Convenient? Close to the beach? I found an ad for a cute studio apartment there that is in my price range.
          What areas do you guys recommend on the windward side of Oahu? We just want cheap rent, nice and respectful neighbors who are also cool, close to the beach, reasonably easy access to the highway, good environment for my turtle (not a highrise), stuff like that.
          Everything on your wish list equals high rent. There really is no such thing as "cheap rent". And, you won't know what you get neighbor-wise 'til you move in. I'm happy to see you'll be on island soon to get a first hand look. That's really the only way to do it.

Comment

Kani-lehua, your rental cottage sounds awesome!! That is exactly the kind of place I'm looking for! Do any of your neigbors have similar rentals that might be available soon?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Cute studio apartment can mean a lot too. Most homes are either completely remodeled or are very old in that area. My 23-year old boy is living on Gardenia street in a one-bedroom built over a garage. The bedroom is about as big as the bed itself (fullsize) and when you lay down on the living room floor, you become the floor covering (wall to wall). It's small, it's cramped, it's hot and it's $950 per month. But it's near UH Manoa! And that's what makes it so expensive.
              That brings up a question. Where are the areas that people would consider overpriced? We don't want to spend much money on rent, as we are not home that much. Usually we are at the beach, at work, or at friends' homes. So having an apartment that is priced higher due to its location might be a silly choice for us.

Comment

Turtlegirl, hope you don't mind if I jump into this with some questions too as I'm also in the process of sorting this out.

I've been considering Kaneohe and Kailua and am wondering about the commute over H3 to Tripler. Anybody know, on average, how long (in minutes) either of those commutes would be? I've read that getting from Kailua to H3 takes considerably longer, but it doesn't look too much longer on the map.

I've also read that most people on the windward side don't have air-conditioning as they don't need it. Is that accurate?

Comment

http://ssl.honoluluadvertiser.com/li...lestaterentals might be a good place to start.

Comment

The only places that truly need AC on Oahu are those living on the Ewa plains or leeward Oahu on the western side. Most other areas are tolerable for natural tradewind breezes.

On Oahu there's relatively little real estate that can be considered inexpensive. But if you had to choose that valuation then I'd consider the high density or lower income areas, but that poses a problem with security and comfort levels. There are areas in town closer to the beach than Palolo Valley that may be better suited for your wallet. One area is in Kapahulu along Date street, however be advised that among the gems there are some pretty bad areas in the back streets.

What may look good during the day may have a negative appeal during the evening hours (when most tenants come home). When I used to rent I would check out the neighborhood between 5pm and 10pm when your most "at home" active hours will occur. During the day when most people are at work and the kids are in school, the neighborhood can take on a relatively peaceful feel to it. But at night when the kids are back and the families are getting into their routines it can be very different.

I look for parked cars and street parking in general. Even if you do get a parking stall, when you invite guests where will they park? Sometimes if you get only one stall and you have two cars, finding street parking can be a bitch and the stress of having to get up early to move your car before the tow wagon takes it away can get to you after a while.

The best advice is to ask your friends or co-workers for possible places. There's always someone you know who knows someone else that needs a renter somewhere.

Timing is important. Rental units become available in town about the time summer breaks occur at UH. Students go home and end their month to month lease with the landlord at that time. Now is a good time to talk to property managers and find out which units will become available within the coming months leading to summer break.

If I found a place that I really wanted to rent I'd negotiate up. If the unit is $950 per month, I'd offer $1,000. This keeps you as a desirable contender if others are looking.

And the last thing is I ask the property manager if the unit is under a current mortgage. If the unit is paid for you can expect stable rent for the duration of your lease.

Good luck
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[...]And the last thing is I ask the property manager if the unit is under a current mortgage. If the unit is paid for you can expect stable rent for the duration of your lease[...]
                      There might be a little truth to that statement but it would affect only a finite number of rentals. Excluding properties that have been in families for a couple of generations, most properties will have mortgages. If one has a lease that prevents escalation then the rent will remain stable. Landlords run in the red all the time. It's one of the risks of having rental property. In condos, if the mortgage doesn't get ya the maintenance fee will!!!

A couple of years ago a unit like mine in my Makaha condo building was renting for $1150/mo. Now I've seen those units listed for $850./mo. For the more recent buyers at the top of the market prices, the lower rental rates can profoundly affect them. However, tenants will pay what the market will bear. When investors were buying up property along the Waianae coast a couple of years ago they started charging outrageous rents to help compensate for their outrageous mortgages. At the time that's what the market would bear. The result? Tents on the beach from one end of the coast to the other. I wonder what those same rentals that forced people into homelessness are renting for now.

For the most part rent is dictated by influences other than one's mortgage. Landlords can adjust rent accordingly at the end of a lease or with a new tenant. Mortgage-free landlords might be more willing to negotiate with an existing long term tenant should that tenant find another unit for less money or if there is a glut of rentals available. I, for one, would not negotiate with a new tenant who had no track record in Hawaii...mortgage or no mortgage.

I know if a potential renter asked me (the potential landlord or property management person) if there was a mortgage on the property I think I'd probably tell that renter, in a very respectful way of course, that that info is confidential information...IOW...none of his/her business!!! The rent will reflect what the market dictates regardless of my mortgage. I, personally, have been both in the black and in the red with rentals. Of course, I preferred the former!

Comment

Kani-lehua, your rental cottage sounds awesome!! That is exactly the kind of place I'm looking for! Do any of your neigbors have similar rentals that might be available soon?
                        not yet. sorry! i did find these rentals in yesterday's honolulu star bulletin:

studio kailua avail now pvt. entrance/bath 1 pkg. nr. shp & beach incl. elec/h20 $800 + deposit. 779-8524

studio kaneohe private entry/bath single person pref. $525 no pet/smkg 247-2936
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by Jim75 View Post
                          Turtlegirl, hope you don't mind if I jump into this with some questions too as I'm also in the process of sorting this out.

I've been considering Kaneohe and Kailua and am wondering about the commute over H3 to Tripler. Anybody know, on average, how long (in minutes) either of those commutes would be? I've read that getting from Kailua to H3 takes considerably longer, but it doesn't look too much longer on the map.

I've also read that most people on the windward side don't have air-conditioning as they don't need it. Is that accurate?
                          it should take you app. 30 minutes to get to tripler from kaneohe/kailua using the h3 freeway. i don't think it would take any longer to get from either of these towns to the h3. generally it's about the same.

a question? are you in the military? if so, have you checked out living on base?

while i can't say "most of us on the windward side don't have air con", i don't. but, that's because the front of the house faces east. we get all the breezes from the ocean. it usually gets hot when it's considered "kona weather" and the breezes (if you want to call it that) come from the south or south/west.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

ditto to both craig's and tutusue's posts.

from a landlord's point of view: like i said, our tenant's rent may go up due to the utility companies ever increasing rate hikes. our tenant does nothing to conserve energy or water. her toilet had been leaking for the longest time and i was never told. it was only discovered when a light fixture needed to be replaced. renters: do not put clorox tabs in the bowl. it weakens/breaks/deteriorates the rubber flapper. she was told this and she still did it anyway. if it happens again, she will have to pay for it. it's a brand spanking new toilet. darn it. and, please read the terms of your lease and the house rules. she is not supposed to use nails to hang pics on the walls (all redwood) and there isn't space left to enjoy the natural beauty of the wood. well, except for the open beam ceilings. in the end, it'll come out of her deposit.

imo, i don't think cheap rent is available anywhere here on o'ahu unless it's a room and even that people are charging $500 and up. sometimes with utilities, sometimes not.
                            "chaos reigns within.
                            order shall return."

Comment

If I found a place that I really wanted to rent I'd negotiate up. If the unit is $950 per month, I'd offer $1,000. This keeps you as a desirable contender if others are looking.
                              As a landlord, I'd also be attracted to a flawless credit record, a reference from a landlord other than your current one, and an offer for a two-year lease. As a tenant, a two-year lease made me feel more comfortable about my budget (no rent increases) and more likely to take care of the home.

And the last thing is I ask the property manager if the unit is under a current mortgage. If the unit is paid for you can expect stable rent for the duration of your lease.
                              We have a mortgage on our rental because it's a cheap interest rate, it gives us a loss on Schedule E, and we can invest the money more profitably elsewhere. None of that has anything to do with the rent we want to charge.

We keep an eye on the neighborhood's market rent (especially other homes with similar floorplans). We also try to raise the rent at least every two years if for no other reasons than making sure the tenants are used to the practice and to compensate for inflation. Usually, however, market rents rise fast enough to allow annual increases. Of course we're willing to negotiate away annual increases for longer-term leases, but that's what the dialogue is all about.

We found our latest tenant through a friend. We were talking about the hassles of renovating and getting the property back on the market, and when she asked "How much will you charge for rent?" we knew we were onto a referral. Shared a lot of pictures on Photobucket, never had to run a credit check, and had a signed lease 48 hours after they stepped off the plane.
                              Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                              Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                              We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                              Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X