moving from florida to Oahu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving from florida to Oahu

Hey everyone. I similarly posted a thread in the introduction but thought this area would be more appropriate.

My girlfriend and I are moving to Oahu around June 10th. After recalculating my money looks like we will end up having around 7k when we arrive. We are hoping to just get a small studio somewhere as close to Honolulu as possible. I have an accounting background and plan to get a job in that so most of those jobs are located in Honolulu but I don’t think I will actually live in Honolulu due to the higher prices. Any recommendations?

Also I tried looking for a post about this but is it possible to live easily on Oahu without a car? I see that unlimited bus passes are like $40 a month and was wondering if you guys and gals think that would be a good way to go?

Also I am 22 and my girl is 20.

Anyone want to offer any suggestions or have any questions please let me know. Thanks.

Matt

Re: moving from florida to Oahu

Originally posted by acejoca View Post
    Also I tried looking for a post about this but is it possible to live easily on Oahu without a car? I see that unlimited bus passes are like $40 a month and was wondering if you guys and gals think that would be a good way to go?
    It depends on where you live and where you have to go. If you are in area that is serviced by serveral bus routes and the bus stop is close by then that's great. On the flipside you could be in an area that is serviced by one route that is on frequency of 20 to 40 minutes between buses and the bus stop is like a mile away.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      It depends on where you live and where you have to go. If you are in area that is serviced by serveral bus routes and the bus stop is close by then that's great. On the flipside you could be in an area that is serviced by one route that is on frequency of 20 to 40 minutes between buses and the bus stop is like a mile away.
      i agree with helen. but, we do have one of the best bus systems in the nation.
      "chaos reigns within.
      reflect, repent and reboot.
      order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Cool. Do you guys reccomend buying a car? I was initally thinking about buying one just in case but then i'd have to pay registration cost, obviously cost of the vehicle, insurance, plus mainteance, and anything else that goes with a car. Do you guys/gals know people who commute via bus everyday? Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks.

Also to note I have officially bought our tickets and we will be arriving in Oahu June 3rd. I cant wait.

Matt

Comment

Congratulations on those tickets!

I recommend a car. How else are you gonna drag your stuff to the beach?

I bought mine here for $700. It's not a pretty car, but it runs like a champ and carries me and my friends and all my stuff safely.

Since the car was already registered til the end of the year, I only paid $10 for the changeover. Not bad, huh?
          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Best of luck to you acejoca. I arrived here in February and I've gotten around fine on a bus, but I have family here that can drive me around if absolutely necessary. I think the trick to living easily without a car is knowing someone else who has one for just in case situations! But as far as day-to-day getting around, work, groceries, etc, the bus has been just fine for me.

I've had good luck with Craigslist as far as finding a place to live. You might consider renting a room in a shared apartment as this can be considerably cheaper. With renting a room usually you don't have to sign a lease, so that way if you wanted to rent a room for a month or two while you search for a job, you could then get an apartment of your own that is convenient to work.
            Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
            Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

hey turtle girl. ya i am thinking i will prolly just buy a cheap one since i dont really know any one there with a car as sophie suggest.

sophie. I would just rent out a room but I dont know many people who want to rent out a room to a couple buy it wouldnt hurt to try so i will see. i will have plenty of money saved up so i dont think it will be a big deal to get an apartment.

So also i got my plane tickets for 391/person. That is going from Jacksonville, Florida to oahu. Not bad huh?

Matt

Comment

Aaah! How did you get those awesome ticket prices!?! I am dying to visit my mom in Melbourne,but tickets are SO expensive everywhere I look!

Start looking on Craigslist for cars in your price range....

Comment

Not a big deal to get an apartment!?! Woo hoo boy, have I got stories for you!! Not to be discouraging...maybe it just depends on what you are looking for....

Comment

The reason I say maybe to rent a room instead of getting an apartment of your own is that you can get a short term, maybe a month or so. And in the meantime be looking for an apartment in your own. I recommend this because when you arrive you won't have much knowledge of the different neighborhoods, of what will be best for you, convenient for work, etc. That way you can take your time and find a good apartment rather than just jumping on the first one you find because you need a place to live.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

turtlegirl. i found that http://farchase.yahoo.com is pretty good. It looks at a a bunch of different travel websites. But overall cheaptickets.com tends to have the lowest price.

Comment

Hey another question about college. I am currently attending a community college and would like to continue on over there in a semester or two. Can you guys/gals tell me if there is a community college there. Thanks.

Matt

Comment

On Oahu there are four which are part of the University of Hawaii system, there are Kapiolani, Honolulu, Leeward and Windward. You can check out the UH website at:

http://www.hawaii.edu

Comment

sorry to resurect an old thread...

i(22) and my girl(18) are also moving from FL. were from Fort Myers Beach.

im kinda stuck in TX right now, but shes flyin into Dallas on the 3rd of June and were flying out of Dallas an hour later.

just thought it was kinda cool us Floridians are makin our way over there...

anyway, aloha

EDIT: Bro!, i just noticed youre flying to Oahu the same day as us, instead of the 10th like in your o.p.! wow what a small world it will be if we fly in on the same flight.

ours is arriving in honolulu @ 8:50 pm'ish
                            Last edited by Just Me(HI); May 23, 2008, 08:05 AM. Reason: noticed somethin
                            "Until the color of a mans skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes"

"To devide and rule will only tear us apart. In every mans chest, there beats a heart"

"So feel this drum beat, as it beats within. Playin the rhythym. Resisting against the system"

Comment

Working...
                            X