Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Island Fever

Dang! Word for word!!

I don't know what to say yet, but thank you all very much for your understanding about how island fever can come and go and be overwhelming at times. I think I'm over it now- I feel better. You guys helped! More to come, thanks so much!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

wow - thanks TG - your island fever has rubbed off on me now

this past weekend - including last night - i slept with the sounds of subway screeching by

i burnt myself a DVD of subway sounds screeching by....for a good nights sleep.
      stay forever young

Comment

TG...glad that you're getting over the Island Fever. I can honestly say that I have never experienced it ... the first time that I lived here back in the 70s and since I moved back here in 2002. I lived in Texas in between and often took solo road trips (even after I got married) just because I love the feeling of the open road. However, here, I am so busy with life in general....working full time, volunteering, planning a high school reunion back in Illinois, raising a teenage daughter and being the chauffeur for her and her friends, training for the Great Aloha Run...and yet, feeling blessed every time I look over at the beautiful Ko'olaus, see a rainbow, spot a whale, hear an Iz song on the radio...I just don't feel like I'm on an island. The spirit of the islands can't be found anywhere else and is what brought me back here.

Comment

Anyway, Texas has plenty of land for everyone. So whenever you start getting island fever, just come on over and we can find lots of places to go cavorting. Maybe we'll even find a pig trail or two. Of course, there we call 'em "cattle trails", but still.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Originally posted by snowbird View Post

Just wondering, do most newcomers (not visitor types) get the Fever? Is it just psychological? I've heard it discussed many times, but until you get it, well...... dunno. I guess I'll have to see for myself.
            DH has a career opportunity on Oahu after he finishes his (bleeping bleep) master's degree (sorry, that's another thread entirely), so we have been kicking this idea around for a while. I keep mentally rehearsing and trying to figure out if I will really suffer from intractable Rock Fever.

I think the only way to know for sure is to try it out. The bugger is I know I will be homesick for this place when I leave, and I don't even like it! Just the way I am made, I guess.

The day-to-day reality of living *any* place is going to be very different from vacationing there. I suppose those of us looking to move to the islands need to thoroughly consider what life is really like (but that is why we are here, right?) and realize that our same problems, frustrations, personality flaws etc. are going to follow us there - everything won't be different just because we are in "paradise", after all. Then if we still think we might be happy, all that is left to do is to jump in and try.

Comment

I read this post with interest because I am about to relocate to Hawaii to work. It's something I've dreamed of for 30 years and now it's about to come true. I always thought Island fever couldn't happen to ME but tonight at work a friend of mine brought in some pastrami from New York City. Suddenly I panicked because I realized that in a few weeks I will be about 3000 miles farther away from a good pastrami sandwich than I am today. But the panic is tempered with the thought of all the new delights I will discover or rediscover.

TG, I have followed this forum for 6 months in anticipation of one day moving here and I have always enjoyed your posts and your insight... I hope you feel better soon!

Comment

I remember living in New York City and listening to a CD of the Hawaiian surf so I LOVE the idea of being in Hawaii and listening to the subway. Now if only there was some way I could package the SMELLS of the subway stations as well

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
                wow - thanks TG - your island fever has rubbed off on me now

this past weekend - including last night - i slept with the sounds of subway screeching by

i burnt myself a DVD of subway sounds screeching by....for a good nights sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel-Of-Breath View Post
                  Suddenly I panicked because I realized that in a few weeks I will be about 3000 miles farther away from a good pastrami sandwich than I am today.
                  You have to decide if it's worth giving up Hawaii for a good pastrami sandwich...

I've lived all over the world and enjoyed many parts of it, but I choose to live here.

And the pastrami's actually pretty nice. 3000 miles might be overestimating it a bit.
                  Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
                  Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
                  We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
                  Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

I know it's worth it. As I said, I might lose a pastrami sandwich but there are other delights to be gained. Of course there ARE cows on Hawaii so theoretically there COULD be pastrami! I can make a great egg creme just about anywhere! And I know there are Hawaiian restaurants and a fair size Hawaiian community in NY. Damn, now you made me hungry!

Originally posted by Nords View Post
                    You have to decide if it's worth giving up Hawaii for a good pastrami sandwich...

I've lived all over the world and enjoyed many parts of it, but I choose to live here.

And the pastrami's actually pretty nice. 3000 miles might be overestimating it a bit.

Comment

Now if only there was some way I could package the SMELLS of the subway stations as well
                      Sure you can...just throw some old newspapers on the floor in one corner of your apartment, then pee on them!!

Comment

So, I saw my GP this past week, and he doesn't think I have "Island Fever", I'm just dealing with lots of stressful things in a relatively short space of time. Moving to a different state, making new friends, starting a new school, being far from family, death of a pet, change in surroundings, change in everyday routine, change in career....it all adds up and gives me anxiety!! Good news is - I should be fine! I'm just needing extra time to adjust. Thanks everyone for your kind words and insight, its very appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
                          Sure you can...just throw some old newspapers on the floor in one corner of your apartment, then pee on them!!
                          LOL, you took the words right out of my mouth! If I start to miss downtown Los Angeles, that's what I'll do. Actually, that's true for most big cities on the mainland, IMHO, and I've been to most all of them. There's good parts and bad parts to just about every place you can go.

TG, glad to hear you are feeling better. You had/have a lot going on, and stress can do bad stuff. Sorry to read about losing your pet. I hope rainbows are headed your way now.

Comment

Is there such a thing as land fever? Because I think I've got that! When we flew into LAX, I got one last look at the Pacific. Everywhere I look now, there is SO much empty land with dead grass and bare trees. I'm so used to green and blue scenery and now it's brown and crunchy. I want to go home but this IS home.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Land fever?

In college I moved from the Gulf coast to N. Texas and went thru what you might call land fever. There were quite a few "runs" to Surfside and Galveston area just to spend the night on the beach and not feel so land-locked.

In northern Cal we used to often go to the lakes and up the mountain to swim in the rivers and be by water.

We live in a beautiful country with amazing natural beauty.

Still its what calls you that you always keep going back to.
                              If standing up, please hold on. Sudden stops are sometimes necessary - Da Bus

Comment

Now if only there was some way I could package the SMELLS of the subway stations as well
                                Pee on your walls?
                                http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                                http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X