Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living near water or in town

Hello everyone
    I’ve been reading posts for months now as I’ve been planning to relocate to Oahu for a new job. I’m originally from the Midwest, but I have spent time living on the east coast (Jersey) and southwest (New Mexico). Now looking for places on Oahu but have a question for the board.

What do I need to know before I rent a place right on the water?

I’ve found a listing for a place meeting my needs, outside of the city on the windward side north of Kaneohe right on the water, and it’s within my price range. But I’m afraid I’m just romanticizing too much about the idea of moving to Hawaii and living on a beach somewhere. How much concern should I have about flooding? Am I going to be able to get the services I need there (utilities, internet, etc). Anything someone like me (growing up in corn fields) should know about living near the ocean?

Would love everyone’s thoughts.
    Thanks
    -Eric

Re: Living near water or in town

heheheh

Dear Sir,

We live on an island. It is surrounded by water.

Flooding? Only when the toilet overflows.

Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com

Auntie Pupule
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Living on the water is not all it's cracked up to be, at least if you're the property owner. Flooding during storm swells, erosion, sinkholes, even constant salt coatings from sea spray can cause problems.

As a renter, I would imagine you'd be spared the core financial burdens of solving some of these problems, but on the other hand, you'd be living with the day-to-day results of them. I would most definitely not sign a long-term lease without visiting the property in person, to ensure that it's relatively well taken care of.

If the property is directly on the beach or abuts the shoreline, you'll also likely have to deal with public access issues -- practically speaking, periodic issues with privacy or peace as people wander past, stagger into your yard drunk, etc.

All that said, there's a reason oceanfront property is coveted and expensive: it's usually beautiful and wonderful and something worth experiencing, at least once.

Comment

I live oceanfront (2nd floor) and, for me, it's worth every "what if" I can think of!!! My building's survived one hurricane during the 22 years I've been an owner. It's also survived a few extreme high tide/mammoth surf situations! Still, oceanfront living is the epitome of paradise for me.

That said...the first floor units at my building bear the brundt of the situations mentioned above. Be sure to get renter's insurance regardless of what floor you live on. Ask your prospective landlord about any ocean activity that's affected that piece of property.

If you have an opportunity to live oceanfront...GO FOR IT! Just know that the salt air takes a toll on things.

Comment

pzarquon has covered most every concern quite nicely regarding beachfront living. I once lived up in Punalu`u on the beach in an apartment; it was fun, but a LONG way from town.

Now I'm way up in the Windward mountain area, about 300' above sea level, but the trade winds still blow enough salt air up here that everything that can will rust and corrode. The beach will be worse for this.

Flooding? Tsunamis can be a problem - if they occur, but they are rare. In the 20th century Hilo on the Big Island was hit in 1946 and 1960. North Shore Oahu was hit in 1952 and La`ie in Windward O`ahu was hit in 1957. In 1975 a local earthquake offshore on the Big Island generated a tsunami. Each one took lives and did damage.

Sometimes Windward streams will flood as well.

Consider the location of your work. Traffic coming into Kane`ohe from further up the coast (past Kahalu`u, Waihe`e) is irritating, but slows to a crawl as it passes Kahalu`u, and from there into town (Honolulu) it's obnoxious. Best to get up early and take the express bus if work is downtown. If you lived leeward, past `Aiea, it's even worse.

Give me a hint about job location (street, town) and the town North of Kane`ohe where the dwelling is and I'll fill you in; this is my stomping ground. Traffic is worse than tsunamis!

Aloha. Welcome to Hawai`i, and HT.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Am I going to be able to get the services I need there (utilities, internet, etc).
            Oh, yes. That and more! Cable or satellite Internet, 120 AC, some of the world's bets drinking water (from the tap!), phone.... anything but snakes.

~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestTransplant View Post

I’ve found a listing for a place meeting my needs, outside of the city on the windward side north of Kaneohe right on the water, and it’s within my price range.

Awesome! Good for you. If you've found somewhere in the location you wanted, in your price range, totally go for it! Kaneohe is nice.

How much concern should I have about flooding? Am I going to be able to get the services I need there (utilities, internet, etc).

I lived right on the beach and the only time we had flooding was when a huge storm came through last December. There are few places on Oahu where services aren't available. Kaneohe isn't one of them.

Anything someone like me (growing up in corn fields) should know about living near the ocean?

Bring your bathing suit and wear lots of sunscreen?

Would love everyone’s thoughts.
              Thanks
              -Eric
              Welcome to HT and good luck in Oahu! Miss that place everyday!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Anything someone like me (growing up in corn fields) should know about living near the ocean?
                If you will be a renter, many of the problems of living near the ocean won't apply to you (such as your major applicances rusting, the carpet and curtains fading, your outer walls deteriorating). But, even as a renter, you will have affects to your personal property. Ocean spray turns into salty air which is carried on the breezes. Your computers and TV will corrode. Your car will rust. Your "good clothes" will go limp. Your books and papers will get brown spots and your envelopes will stick together.

But, you will have beautiful sunrises (or sunsets depending on which shore you end up on), wonderful cool ocean breezes, a fabulous view, and a great place to live. Just don't bring anything that you want to last more than a couple of years with you. Or, be ready to buy again sooner than ususal.

Good luck, welcome to HT!
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

For reference, I'll be working at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu (Punchbowl area?). The rental place I found is up near Hauula. I'll be working off hours (in around 10 or 11am, back around 8 or 9pm) so I think the drive wouldn't be too bad?? Any other thoughts on that area of windward Oahu?

Thanks again

Comment

my sweetie's family are generations long hauula residents; i work in healthcare risk mgmt. from what i understand, queen's employee on-campus parking wait list is two years long. so, to make sure you get in on time at 10, i'd say leave your home no later than 0830. we've done a similar drive at the hours you describe many many times from hauula to locations not far from your work but without having to hunt for parking. you'll want to learn how and where on the long drive to pass slow moving vehicles safely otherwise you will be late to work. also, keep in mind that a good number of tour buses from polynesian cultural center will be going the opposite way as you come home from work.

by the way, if you like your alcohol, remember that many shops in hauula shale and neighboring laie will not sell alcohol of any kind on sundays bcs the owners of the shops or the property owners are likely mormon.
                    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      my sweetie's family are generations long hauula residents; i work in healthcare risk mgmt. from what i understand, queen's employee on-campus parking wait list is two years long. so, to make sure you get in on time at 10, i'd say leave your home no later than 0830. we've done a similar drive at the hours you describe many many times from hauula to locations not far from your work but without having to hunt for parking. you'll want to learn how and where on the long drive to pass slow moving vehicles safely otherwise you will be late to work. also, keep in mind that a good number of tour buses from polynesian cultural center will be going the opposite way as you come home from work.

by the way, if you like your alcohol, remember that many shops in hauula shale and neighboring laie will not sell alcohol of any kind on sundays bcs the owners of the shops or the property owners are likely mormon.
                      I think this advice is excellent. Something I would have never thought about (and there's no reason I would) is that parking situation, a two year wait? You better plan your travel carefully! Even if you are going in at "off hours"
                      any accident can completely shut down your ability to get in and out as there is only one road. And to further her point "off hours" is still in the middle of the day when you take into account her information about parking.
                      Parking is difficult in that area, heck many areas all over the island!

If you are interested in "nightlife" there is not much/if any on our side and there are not that many great restaurants either. The windward side is a great place to live and you will most likely enjoy your beachside abode. I'm sure others will have information you can use.

Comment

For reference, I'll be working at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu (Punchbowl area?). The rental place I found is up near Hauula. I'll be working off hours (in around 10 or 11am, back around 8 or 9pm) so I think the drive wouldn't be too bad?? Any other thoughts on that area of windward Oahu?
                        Well, other thoughts: You are asking a lot of yourself with taking a job near downtown Honolulu (Queens) and living so far (Hauula). Although the dream of living on the ocean is great, and should happen for you if that is want you want, it might be just a bit overwhelming to adjust to a new "life in Hawaii" and at the same time having to tackle the long drive and hours on the road each day. You might consider finding something closer to work for awhile, and then move to your oceanfront home once you have fewer other new pressures on you.

Comment

I have a friend, a long time resident of Hauula, who used to work at Honolulu Hale (very close to Queens, MidWestTransplant). She always took the bus. Can you possibly get a 6 month lease just to see how it all works out for you?

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies everyone.

Thanks again
                            I loved Hau`ula and Punalu`u, but the drive was a bitch (this is even 20 years ago! It;'s worse now.)

The bus lets you read, relax, while you commute, is cheaper than car, and off-hours will help. You will have one transfer from the Windward bus to the town bus.

You can drive... IF you have to.... SOME days, and it wouldn't be as bad as rush hour, but, returning home will still be a jam. Some work late.

Get a monthly bus pass, drive occasionally, and enjoy the relative quiet and seclusion of the upper windward side.
                            I recommend it!
                            ~ ~

Comment

For reference, I'll be working at Queens Medical Center in Honolulu (Punchbowl area?). The rental place I found is up near Hauula. I'll be working off hours (in around 10 or 11am, back around 8 or 9pm) so I think the drive wouldn't be too bad??
                              Check out the bus schedule http://www.thebus.org . I'm thinking that the last bus (#55) leaves Punchbowl for Hauula about 8:30 pm, and doesn't arrive until 10:30 pm. What if you work unexpectedly late and are depending on the bus to get home? #52 runs later, but does not come as near Punchbowl area. I'm not sure, but it is definitely something to find out before you commit to counting on the bus at night.

Comment

Working...
                              X