Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii arrival stories

Originally posted by Bard View Post
    Those "locals" who weren't born there had to come from somewhere.

Just for some clarification, what is the word local being used for these days? I thought it was exclusively for someone born in Hawai'i who wasn't haole. Sorry for the tangent Glen, but I'd get a bit peeved if I heard a malihini refer to themself as local.
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

haole and local are synonymous.

haole and malihini are not.

Even though today people act as if the opposite is true, if you ask the kupuna, they would agree with what I wrote. And that would also agree that haole/local and "good" are not synonymous. Each must earn his/her own.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
        haole and local are synonymous.
        So for example Japanese immigrants who came a few generations back are not "locals"? Or are they considered haole?

Comment

Sigh. Go get your own thread, why don't you. But since that's probably not going to happen, I might as well respond...

There are several overlapping and conflicting definitions. Much heat can be caused by disagreements over them. Take your pick.

Malihini.
          A recent newcomer to the islands, someone who came from elsewhere. There are differing opinions on how long one remains a malihini:
          (1) You're a malihini until you learn the ways of the islands.
          (2) Once a malihini, always a malihini. And that might even go for your kids too.

Haole.
          (1) 18th century meaning: Stranger; outsider. Anyone who wasn't Native Hawaiian, with different modifiers depending on place of origin: Haole Pelekania (British), Haole Kepanī (Japanese), etc. Maybe even Haole Kahiki (Tahitian).
          (2) 19th century meaning: Residents of Hawaiʻi of white descent. A term adopted by the children of the missionaries to refer to themselves. Does not include Portuguese field lunas.
          (3) 20th century meaning: White people.

Local.
          (1) Someone who is from the place you are at.
          (2) Someone who identifies with the culture of the present-day residents of Hawaiʻi.
          (3) A Hawaiʻi resident who is not a malihini.
          (4) A Hawaiʻi resident who is not haole.
          (5) A Hawaiʻi resident who is not haole, and who is not Native Hawaiian either.

Comment

Apologies for responding to the sub-thread Glen Didn't mean to help push it OT. I personally find the original topic interesting and hope it continues rather than devolving into another racial flame-war...

Comment

Uh huh.

I am still interested in hearing people's Hawaiʻi arrival stories. What brought you to the islands, and what made you stay?

Comment

Working...
              X