No announcement yet.

Registering my Car with the State

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Registering my Car with the State

    So in 2014, I will be coming to Kauai for 3-5 months, to see if I can live comfortably on my salary in the islands. Nearly all my questions have been answered between my visits this year to Kauai. The only major question I have left is this: I will be shipping my car from the mainland to Kauai, can I wait to register with the State of Hawaii until I know for sure if I can afford to stay (until, say, the end of the 3rd month)?
    Expect me when you see me.....

  • #2
    Re: Registering my Car with the State

    This is how I understand out of state plates work in Hawaii. This might be old information, but it's how it was not long ago when a friend shipped over a vehicle.

    You may operate a vehicle registered out of state under the following conditions:

    1. The vehicle must be registered in your name.

    2. A Hawaii safety check inspection must be performed on the vehicle. Note that Hawaii law requires 2 plates in order to obtain a Safety Check. Your car probably won't pass with only 1 plate.

    3. You need an out of state vehicle permit from the Department of Motor Vehicle Registration within 30 days of its arrival in the state. To obtain the permit, you need to submit the following:

    A completed Out-of-State Vehicle Permit Application form with the current out-of-state certificate of registration.
    A bill of lading or shipping receipt, which shows the date the vehicle arrived in the state.
    The Hawaii Certificate of Safety Check Inspection.

    With the out of state vehicle permit, your out-of-state plates will be valid until their expiration date.


    • #3
      Re: Registering my Car with the State

      Ok Thanks for the information. Washington State requires 2 plates, so I am good. And the car is fairly new, so I should be good with the safety check.

      Thank you!
      Expect me when you see me.....