Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Side?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Side?

    Hello again, as previsously mentioned in my first two threads, my family and I are going to be making a job-associated move to Hawaii. I'd like to get opinions on where to buy a home. From my preliminary research, it looks like the Leeward (Makaha, Maili) and Windward (Punaluu, Kahana) sides of the islands are the most affordable, and most beautiful in my opinion. I understand that this will create about an hours worth of commuting time for us, but I think we will be happier in either of these semi-remote spots (we've always lived in places out in the country). Gives me time to ride my motorcycle too! From what I've read, not too many Haoles live out in those places though. Do you think we'd have any problems? I'm sure most of you know that Makaha means fierce or savage--makes us wonder. We've got 3 kids ranging from 1 year to 13 years-old. We are definately not flashy people, simple is better in our book. Any specific advise you can give us will be greatly appreciated--negative (crime rates, auto thefts, burglaries) or positive (fishing spots, surfing, distance to shopping, schools, youth football etc).

    Thanks
    Last edited by Bär; March 10, 2005, 03:11 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Which Side?

    This quote from the "Melting Pot" thread has me wondering what's up with the Leeward side???

    WAIANAE BARBIE:
    This tobacco-chewing, brassy-haired Barbie has a pair of her own high-heeled sandals with one broken heel from the time she chased Beer-Gut Ken out of Waipahu Barbie's repossessed house. Her ensemble includes low-rise acid-washed jeans, fake fingernails, and a see-through halter-top.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Which Side?

      People use stereotypes here, like everywhere else.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Which Side?

        Hey, Bar.

        Yikes--that was my post you quoted. It was a caricature, and was offensive & stupid at that. I didn't realize it, so please ignore it. The guy who sent it to me lives in Waipahu.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Which Side?

          Originally posted by Bär
          From what I've read, not too many Haoles live out in those places though. Do you think we'd have any problems? I'm sure most of you know that Makaha means fierce or savage--makes us wonder. We've got 3 kids ranging from 1 year to 13 years-old. We are definately not flashy people, simple is better in our book.
          I don't know those specific areas well, but I'll certainly agree that they're beautiful, and while they are "way out there" as far as folks who commute daily into town are concerned, some folks thrive on the distance from urban sprawl and -- especially if they have a cool motorcycle -- can even enjoy the trip.

          Don't worry about the name, specifically. Some neighborhoods have odd names, and I promise none specifically describe the nature of the community there -- at least, not on purpose. Heck, we've got streets that translate to "dog poo," so... no worries there.

          As far as the number of haole residents? They're definitely out there. Maybe more on the northeast shore than the Ewa side, but not exactly scarce. I can assure you, it's rarely the color of one's skin that will dictate how relations will go with neighbors, but attitude. As long as you're not coming with a chip on your shoulder, as long as you're not likely to be annoyed by the many ways Hawaii is not like New York... if you are indeed a true appreciator of the simple things in life, you'll get to love your neighborhood.

          I know a most wonderful haole gal who lives in Makaha, and she's probably got more aloha spirit than I do.

          As for the other things... well, you'll be close to fishing and surfing spots, which is good. Shopping? A bit more limited, depending on what you're looking for. I don't know about the schools in those neighborhoods, but I imagine they could always use more money and involved parents.

          As for crime? I don't think of them as particularly crime prone, but you should know that property crime is a huge problem here... cars will disappear out of locked garages while you're home, as the ice epidemic makes people desperate, and stupid. Violent crime is notably less a concern. If you drive a '83 Datsun pickup, you should be fine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Which Side?

            Heck, we've got streets that translate to "dog poo,"
            HEY! Oh, ok, not really. My street name translates to "tangent of a circle."
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Which Side?

              The leeward coast is drier and hotter than the windward side. Windward is alot wetter too so thats something to consider. I live in Kahaluu which is between Kaneohe and Punaluu that you mentioned. As far as traffic goes... it really isn't that bad since there are more ways to get to and from the windward side (if you work in Honolulu). A lot of my colleagues who live in town seem to think that I live WAY out in the boonies (12-13 miles from town)... for me its worth the commute.
              Last edited by cezanne; March 10, 2005, 04:33 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Which Side?

                I didn't find it offensive--and I'm sure most other people would realize it was simply a joke. But, more often than not, caricatures have at least some basis in fact. Sure, most stereotypes are wild exagerations, but there's usually a morsel of truth that starts the whole thing.
                That's the only reason I asked. Sorry for stirring the pot.

                Originally posted by U'ilani
                Hey, Bar.

                Yikes--that was my post you quoted. It was a caricature, and was offensive & stupid at that. I didn't realize it, so please ignore it. The guy who sent it to me lives in Waipahu.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Which Side?

                  [QUOTE=pzarquon]
                  I can assure you, it's rarely the color of one's skin that will dictate how relations will go with neighbors, but attitude. As long as you're not coming with a chip on your shoulder, as long as you're not likely to be annoyed by the many ways Hawaii is not like New York... if you are indeed a true appreciator of the simple things in life, you'll get to love your neighborhood.
                  [QUOTE=pzarquon]

                  I'm sure we'll do just fine then.

                  Originally posted by pzarquon
                  As for crime? I don't think of them as particularly crime prone, but you should know that property crime is a huge problem here... cars will disappear out of locked garages while you're home, as the ice epidemic makes people desperate, and stupid. Violent crime is notably less a concern. If you drive a '83 Datsun pickup, you should be fine.
                  Like I said before, we're not flashy; I just can't bring myself to buy any more new cars, such a waste of $$$ --I'm older and wiser now. My 1980 Diesel MB shouldn't get any second glances from the thieves. I'll just be sure to never wash it
                  Last edited by Bär; March 10, 2005, 10:53 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Which Side?

                    Originally posted by cezanne
                    The leeward coast is drier and hotter than the windward side. Windward is alot wetter too so thats something to consider. I live in Kahaluu which is between Kaneohe and Punaluu that you mentioned. As far as traffic goes... it really isn't that bad since there are more ways to get to and from the windward side (if you work in Honolulu). A lot of my colleagues who live in town seem to think that I live WAY out in the boonies (12-13 miles from town)... for me its worth the commute.
                    Thanks for the input, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Windward side seems to be calling me... How long do you think it would take to commute to Ft Shafter from, say, Punaluu? Does leaving a little earlier in the morning (before rush hour) help?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Which Side?

                      Originally posted by Bär
                      Thanks for the input, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Windward side seems to be calling me... How long do you think it would take to commute to Ft Shafter from, say, Punaluu? Does leaving a little earlier in the morning (before rush hour) help?
                      Sorry for the late reply... Hmmmm from my house I estimate it would take about 25 minutes in the morning weekday commute to get to Ft Shafter. Add another 25-30 minutes (probably longer) if you're driving from Punalu'u. I say about an hour's drive.

                      Yes leaving earlier helps a lot. From where I live I have only about a mile of one lane traffic til it branches to 3 lanes so it's not that bad. From Punaluu it's at least another 15 miles of continuous one lane traffic (so you might get stuck behind slow drivers, and trust me, it's hard to pass them because that section of Kamehameha Hwy is so winding).

                      I thought you were moving from the mainland and I looked at your location and see that you're in Germany.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X