Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Waipio Gentry Area

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New to Waipio Gentry Area

    Aloha everyone, we are so excited to be moving back to Hawaii after all of these years and can't wait until we arrive. We are planning to open a business there and would love some input from the teens out there. We want to open something for you!! Since there is limited things for teens, we wanted to know what you wanted to do and what you need!!!!!! Please don't leave any personal info just ideas!!!!!!!! See you all soon. Take care Cnecki, Big Kahuna and Monsters aka Kids.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

  • #2
    Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

    Originally posted by Cnecki
    We are planning to open a business there and would love some input just ideas!!!!!!!!
    Teenagers need an outdoor and lanai location where they are able to learn of Hawaiian history, sustainable living, the culture of the land, Polynesian music, language, food, plants, etc.. before they fully lose any and all contact with their roots. before mainland consumerism and the vacuous "me centered" american mindset and culture digs its vampirific fangs into them.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

      I'm not a teenager, but I do work with teens every day, and what teenagers want (and need) is somewhere to hang out. The Starbucks phenomenon is not an accident, and it really has nothing to do with coffee. People want to go OUT and hang. Before cafes became so ubiquitous, grownups were limited to bars or barbershops or, if they were lucky, local diners--not exactly places to get some homework or reading done. For teens, the options are fewer.

      Waipio is an area perfectly ripe for something teen-oriented (as is Kapolei). There's an Internet gaming place in Nuuanu called SuperConnected that, every day, is packed with kids playing Halo; they're hanging out, they're playing games, they're interacting, and they're buying drinks and snacks. It is really the first such place I've seen that welcomes and actively attempts to appeal to teens. I have no idea if it's making money. If I had the start-up cash, though, that's the kind of place I'd open up in a place like Waipio.
      Last edited by scrivener; April 23, 2005, 08:23 AM.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

        Aloha! I am not a resident of Wapio but I have relatives and friends that live there. I am neither a teenager, I wish I was (no comments). In response to your question to what kind of business would be suitable and at the same time profitable for teenagers? I envision someplace where they can learn, have fun, relax and be safe in one place.

        What comes to mind is the old Farrell's that was around when I was a teenager. Great food, good fun for all ages, and a place safe to meet friends. I used to go there with friends after school, do homework, talk story and eat. Must not forget after football games, basketball games, etc.

        To bring it up to date, add a computer room, games room, and a special room where you could allow parties or social events for the teens. Yep, bring the old and the new together. Like a soda shoppe where they had a juke box, order fries, hamburgers, shakes and malts. Unlike fast food places like MacDonalds, jack-in-da-box, Wendy's, etc.

        If you got the money, time and know how...go for it. Remember, our state is an anti-small business one. Many of our old family run businesses have closed it's doors the past several years due to high costs and the younger generation not wanting to continue. I know first hand. My MAMA closed ours this past September.

        Whatever you and your family decide, I wish you well. Once again, Aloha and Welcome back to the islands. Oh! Welcome to Hawai'i Threads too.

        Auntie Lynn aka Auntie Pupule
        Last edited by 1stwahine; April 23, 2005, 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

          Originally posted by kimo55
          Teenagers need an outdoor and lanai location where they are able to learn of Hawaiian history, sustainable living, the culture of the land, Polynesian music, language, food, plants, etc.. before they fully lose any and all contact with their roots. before mainland consumerism and the vacuous "me centered" american mindset and culture digs its vampirific fangs into them.
          You are correct, through the years we have been coming back and forth. We have seen a great change in the culture of Hawaii. We want to give back not take from the island. Our first choice is a outdoor batting cage, lounge and arcade. We had hoped that the island was offering language, culture and heritage classes for the youth, but if this is a need we would love to help. Please explain more about what you had in mind.

          Please read private message you sent me, I replied with love and clarification.

          Lots of Aloha, Cnecki
          Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

            Originally posted by scrivener
            Waipio is an area perfectly ripe for something teen-oriented (as is Kapolei). There's an Internet gaming place in Nuuanu called SuperConnected that, every day, is packed with kids playing Halo; they're hanging out, they're playing games, they're interacting, and they're buying drinks and snacks. It is really the first such place I've seen that welcomes and actively attempts to appeal to teens. I have no idea if it's making money. If I had the start-up cash, though, that's the kind of place I'd open up in a place like Waipio.
            Thank you for taking the time to reply, you must be closer to our age, because my kids have no idea what a Farrells is. It is a fun ice cream parlor isn't it? Remember the Ice Cream troffs they served and the sirens that rang out when they served them. Anyway, I don't believe we have the money to buy into a francise, but it seems like your idea is similar to what we were looking into. I know that teens have to have a nesting ground that is supervised yet not stiffiling. I am a mother of a teen and 2 preteens and have kept them very active in sports. We want to enhance neighborhoods not create a problem. The main issue seems to be a marriage between nature and industry. We believe with the right management and role models on the grounds will encourage unity with all of our children and hopefully helpout these parents on the island who have to work long hours just to provide a quality of life we all hope for our children. Take Care and send more ideas if they come.
            Originally posted by 1stwahine
            What comes to mind is the old Farrell's that was around when I was a teenager. Great food, good fun for all ages, and a place safe to meet friends. I used to go there with friends after school, do homework, talk story and eat. Must not forget after football games, basketball games, etc.
            Thanks for the 411, we know Mir Rights and have a Granny there. Nothing to be ashamed of, everyone has to start somewhere. We have worked very hard at a snails pace to become stable and We believe everyone can acheive their dreams. Yes big industry is taking over everything it is really sad. We dream of the Hawaii we left in 1992 and hope to add a little more love to our new friends and of course family. With people like you that are taking the time to share their ideas with new and old residents of Hawaii is how the Island changes for the better. If no one knows what the Island wants, they won't care and they will keep bringing big business and eating up all of the land. Please know that you have made a difference. Lots of Love Cnecki
            Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

              Aloha again, I just had to let you know about what you wrote re: MWH. First, I am not ashame to live here. I raised three soldiers of the Armed forces here. One who is a Combat Awarded/Medal Hero. Yea, I'm proud I live here...and then some. I also recently sold our family resturant this past September. If you got the money, business plan, guts, go for it. It doesn't matter where you live, be it Hawaii kai, Waipio Gentry, Waipahu, etc.

              good luck,
              Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

                Originally posted by 1stwahine
                Aloha again, I just had to let you know about what you wrote re: MWH. First, I am not ashame to live here. I raised three soldiers of the Armed forces here. One who is a Combat Awarded/Medal Hero. Yea, I'm proud I live here...and then some. I also recently sold our family resturant this past September. If you got the money, business plan, guts, go for it. It doesn't matter where you live, be it Hawaii kai, Waipio Gentry, Waipahu, etc.

                good luck,
                Auntie Lynn
                Thanks, you must be a proud mommy!!! Much Love Cnecki
                Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New to Waipio Gentry Area

                  Cold Stone Creamery maybe? sorry to dredge up old thread but you all started talking about Farrell's and the trough! what was it called? hoo boy long time ago but fun. I think it's lunch time
                  this space for rent

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X