dilemma. please give me advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dilemma. please give me advice.

Hello. I am 22 years old. I graduated from college 2 months ago. I am living with my parents in the Northeast because I don't have a job or much money. Actually I have not applied for any job because I am not sure what to do. I have wanted and planned to move to Oahu. However I'm not sure if it's possible. I have about only $1500 cash and $2000 available on my credit card. From what I read about Hawaii's job market, it seems that usually you already have to be living there to find a job there, yet you have to have a job to find an apartment there.

So do you think there is any way possible for me to get to Hawaii? My other plan is to just find a job and cheap apartment here in the Northeast, then save up more and move to an apartment in Hawaii so I can look for a job there. However this might add apartment and job contracts here and then I would have to look for a new job all over again and may be tied down by other things here. So I would really just like to go to Hawaii now if I could.

Is it just rich married couples who can move to Hawaii, or can a recent college graduate move there and start a new life successfully as well? Is it really impossible to find a job in Hawaii unless you are living there already? Please give me any advice if you can.

Re: dilemma. please give me advice.

Originally posted by superman2005
    Hello. I am 22 years old. I graduated from college 2 months ago. I am living with my parents in the Northeast because I don't have a job or much money. Actually I have not applied for any job because I am not sure what to do.
    Listen to yourself. You are sponging off your parents because you don't have the drive, self-respect or discipline to get a job (ANY JOB), and you think you have something to offer Hawaii?

Here's my advice: Why don't you live off your parents for a few more years and complain about how you can't find a job because you're "too smart" or "overqualified" for everything? That seems to be a popular option these days for young, unmotivated college graduates.

I've worked since I was 12. I don't understand you at all.

Comment

So do you think there is any way possible for me to get to Hawaii? My other plan is to just find a job and cheap apartment here in the Northeast, then save up more and move to an apartment in Hawaii so I can look for a job there. However this might add apartment and job contracts here and then I would have to look for a new job all over again and may be tied down by other things here. So I would really just like to go to Hawaii now if I could.
      Sure it's possible. Look at this guy, James, who did it. I have friends who have similar stories. But be ready to work like hell once you get here, and don't be surprised if it doesn't work out and you decide the islands aren't for you.

Comment

Now, Madazza, you know I love you, but you're being a bit harsh. I had to live with the folks for about five months after I graduated, too, because it took that long to find work right after college. Superman didn't say he wanted to mooch off of his parents; he said he wanted to move to Hawaii and get a job--that's quite a different situation.

Superman, what did you get your degree in? That would be a good place to start; we have the lowest unemployment rate in the nation, so the demand for workers in certain fields is quite high. On the other hand, it does help to be connected, but I imagine that's true of any place. I do have several friends who got teaching jobs here after long-distance phone interviews.

It's very expensive to live here. You've probably got two-months' worth of rent in cash, and that's just rent, and that's just for a studio. See if you can find work first. Check the job listings and get on that phone.

Seriously, what was your major?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

my opinion is good luck. Life is an adventure. I was taught that if your not taking risks then your not LIVING life, just surviving it.
          GO FOR IT BRO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            and you think you have something to offer Hawaii?
            I was looking for a little advice, not insults. I'm sorry that you judge me not good enough for your state based on a single internet post. My family is financially poor and did not pay for a dime of my ivy league education; I paid for it through scholarships and a college job and so now I don't have much to start out with.

Originally posted by scrivener
            Seriously, what was your major?
            I changed my major about 3 times during college, from engineering, to computer science, worked a computer support job as a student, and ended up with a degree in psychology. I don't really care what the job is as long as I can make a living. I will apply for some jobs in Hawaii by mail and phone, and if it doesn't work out soon I will find an apartment and job here as my backup plan. Thanks for your input.

Comment

You're still young and you don't have any serious responsibilities yet (wife, kids, mortgage, etc.) so if you really want to move to Hawai'i, go for it. Just make sure you don't burn any bridges on the mainland in case things don't work out. I've done what you are planning to do 4x in my life (from Maui to school in Ohio, Ohio to Utah, Utah to Boston, Boston to Seattle) without having any contacts or job prospects and managed to survive.

And be prepared to maybe have to work 2 or 3 jobs at the same time, because it's expensive to live there.

Miulang

P.S. Which Ivy League college was it? Hahvahd, Yale, Princeton, Brown? Check out the alumni association at your school. I bet they have a local chapter in Honolulu. Network like crazy (write to a few alums). Send 'em your resume, tell them what kinds of jobs you're interested in. One thing I know about the Ivy League schools especially, they like to help their fellow alums.
              Last edited by Miulang; July 21, 2005, 11:04 AM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by aaron
                my opinion is good luck. Life is an adventure. I was taught that if your not taking risks then your not LIVING life, just surviving it.
                GO FOR IT BRO!!!!
                yea. ala moana park is just fulla people who went for it in this manner!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  yea. ala moana park is just fulla people who went for it in this manner!
                  Yeah. But someone with an Ivy League degree might be able to squat in the shadiest part of the park, Kimo!

Actually, an Ivy League degree is worth about $10-20k more off the bat, depending on which ivy vine the graduate climbed. Plus, those people can use their extensive old boy networks to get job introductions, which is really important when you're planning to move to a new town.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

cough,cough...I went to Poison Ivy! Eh, I stay bored, where's everybody? Let's talk story.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was looking for a little advice, not insults. I'm sorry that you judge me not good enough for your state based on a single internet post. My family is financially poor and did not pay for a dime of my ivy league education; I paid for it through scholarships and a college job and so now I don't have much to start out with.
                      Of course you don't want insults. You are of the generation that expects constant strokes to boost your "self-esteem." Sorry to harsh your buzz, dude. You posted in a public forum and got helpful comments from me, whether you want to hear them or not.

You say you don't have anything to start out with, yet you admit that you haven't even applied for ANY job. My advice is to GET A JOB. That is damned good advice. I respectfully suggest that you take it, then come back here and thank me for it afterward. You admitted that you haven't even bothered looking for a job. I cannot respect someone who doesn't even look for a job. It's unfathomable. Even if that means -- horrors! -- waiting on tables, DO IT. That, or any other menial job, will do much more for you in the long run than your "Ivy League education," kid. Trust me on this. You won't even START learning until you get out of your parents' house.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Actually, an Ivy League degree is worth about $10-20k more off the bat, depending on which ivy vine the graduate climbed.
                        Miulang
                        That is ... for those who bother to actually LOOK FOR A JOB first!

Aye, there's the rub!

What, that job isn't going to just drop in my freakin' lap? Hey, no fair! I'll move to Hawaii and ... um ... show 'em how much better I am, because I went to Yale and they're all still living in little grass shacks. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          That is ... for those who bother to actually LOOK FOR A JOB first!

Aye, there's the rub!

What, that job isn't going to just drop in my freakin' lap? Hey, no fair! I'll move to Hawaii and ... um ... show 'em how much better I am, because I went to Yale and they're all still living in little grass shacks. Yeah, that's the ticket!
                          yowza! yikes! tell it like it is, madazza! i don't know a soul here (and that includes all of the trust fund sh*ts i grew up with) that doesn't work their arse off...
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

You don't know shit about me so please shut up. I don't know you either but you are probably someone who regrets never going to college herself and flames people on the internet to feel better about herself.

My stay on these forums has been short but I have a plan now and I am going to follow it. Goodbye.
                            Last edited by superman2005; July 22, 2005, 04:55 AM.

Comment

You don't know shit about me so please shut up. I don't know you either but you are probably someone who regrets never going to college herself and flames people on the internet to feel better about herself.

My stay on these forums has been short but I have a plan now and I am going to follow it. Goodbye.
                              No, I won't shut up, but if you happen to read this, I have one more thing to say: I'll buy you a drink in real life if you make it over here. I'm really not that bad. Glad to hear you have a plan.

OK, guys, I'll take it a bit easier on the next one. Was cranky yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X