X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving to Oahu on August 15th.

Originally posted by kimo55
    naaah
    may as well accept it now, and get it over with: everything is racist and politically incorrect...
    Not everything ... just the fun stuff!

Comment

Welcome aboard, and aloha to you, brah.
      Hawaii is like everywhere else, only more so and kind of squeezed. Be a good citizen, be polite and have consideration, pick up after yourself and try to leave the place better than you found it, that's all anyone can ask.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
        That's a fact of life where ever you surf though. Locals do that to other locals too so it's not a local vs. haole thing.

* With the theme from "Hawaii Fve o" blaring in the backround*

Locals give other locals the benefit of the doubt out in lineups. Some caucasians are familiar out at certain breaks but if you're not a familiar haole, you are not usually given the benefit of the doubt. Guys will look at you with the "Brah, beat it!" look. Drop in on you without care, snake your leash .... all the fun stuff.
        Last edited by Nalu; July 30, 2005, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          OK, here's another take on the malihini thing: You said you lived in El-A and Atlanta. So you know about traffic jams and crowded living. I dunno if where you've lived there have been lots of non-Caucasians or not, but in Hawai'i you WILL be part of the minority, and the majority of people can trace their ancestry back to Asia (either Japan, China, the Philippines). Think of your experience as being in a foreign country (because at one time Hawai'i was a sovereign nation) and live and act accordingly. Then you'll get along just fine with the populace.

Miulang
          thats what i love about Oahu! The Asians!!

I lived in San Francisco for a year (because most asians anywhere on the mainland in that city).. but still not enough Asian culture fused in enough.. Hawaii on the other hand!

I was thinking about that with the other poster who said she was minority in Atlanta.. yeah, a lot of mainland cities are like that. Usually we end up in an african-american or latin spanish-speaking neighberhoods.. which is fine and all I guess.. but much more interested in being surrounded by more Asians than anyone else if at all possible.

Unfortunately most asians on the mainland seem to want to live in the suburbs.. blech.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
            * With the theme from "Hawaii Fve o" blaring in the backround*

Locals give other locals the benefit of the doubt out in lineups. Some caucasians are familiar out at certain breaks but if you're not a familiar haole, you are not usually given the benefit of the doubt. Guys will look at you with the "Brah, beat it!" look. Drop in on you without care, snake your leash .... all the fun stuff.
            *James Taylor's Greatest Hits in the background*

That's what I meant. Unless MPV is a noob wanting to come to Hawaii to learn how to surf... he probably knows what to expect. I would expect the same treatment if I were to go to CA to surf. It ain't right... but it just one of those unwrittens. The funniest thing I ever heard from a tourist getting some lip from the locals in the lineup was "Hey you don't own the freakin' ocean man!". No blows but like you said, drop in city.

Comment

Originally posted by mpv81
              So me and my girlfriend are moving to Oahu from Atlanta on the 15th of August so she can start school at UH and after reading some of the threads here (one in particular from some ass-hat that wanted to know how he could become "Hawaiian") I definetely would like to hear some people's advice and tips. I'm a haole, but not some pasty-faced schlub; I definetely will never claim to be filled with the aloha spirit (although I do get along with everybody very easily) or have a hawaiian heart, I love to surf (although I rarely got the opportunity while living in atlanta), and I'm just wanting to have a pleasant easy-going life while I'm in Oahu. Please tell me some insider tips so I don't offend anybody. Thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, and I was looking into getting a moped or a scooter to save money on gas. Is that reasonable or should I just go ahead and get a car?
              Hey, MPV81 -

Today is the 15th. Did you make it okay?

Comment

Working...
              X