Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where to get aloha wear?

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Rayon is made from cellulose (wood pulp), not petroleum.
    Right. For example, I went to http://www.backpacker.com/gear/morej...0,1228,00.html and found this:
    Rayon --
    Any of various proprietary fibers derived from trees, cotton, and woody plants. It has a shiny appearance, dyes and drapes well, and feels silky, but is too absorbent for good moisture management.

And therein lies the reason I refuse to wear Rayon and will only wear 100% cotton -- because of the wicking properties. (Wicking means to pull moisture away from the skin and disperse it throughout the material.)
    Rayon is horrible in that respect and will stick to your skin like glue if you wear Rayon on hot, humid days, like our average Hawai`i weather. I'd strongly recommend to the original poster that they'll be 100% more comfortable if they stick to 100% cotton (no pun intended).
    Also, since it was mentioned earlier in this thread, add my name to the list of those who think that matching Aloha attire is repugnant! Ewwww!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I like rayon the best for aloha wear and 100% cotton wrinkles a lot too. I seriously doubt that unless you buy vintage aloha shirts, which are VERY pricey, you will get the new rayon.

The Paradise Found is a good one, and don't worry about "loud". The Magnum shirt is pretty damned loud, but Magnum was pretty damned loved in Hawaii.

http://www.captainscloset.com/Paradi...adiseFound.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        [...]I also have to take issue with Miulang because while 100% cotton may be all the rage, I don't see why rayon isn't OK. I have some very nice, and very pricey, rayon aloha shirts that are gorgeous and definitely not touristy.
        I collect aloha shirts...well, I'm not a collector in the true sense of the word but I love them, buy them and wear them frequently. Rayon is by far my favorite fabric (say that 3 times real fast!) as it drapes (hangs) so much better than cotton. If I had unlimited funds I'd buy a few of those great vintage shirts at Bailey's.

What's the fabric used in those awful, loud, shiny aloha shirts sold in places like the ABC stores? Some kind of acetate?

Comment

I sold them for years. bought directly from maunfacturers as well as fabric sources.

in the 70's polyester was popular. still is to a degree. that new kine is microfibre polyester. lets ya breath a lil more.
          many high end rayon shirts are available. as well as cheap ones.

My fave is silk, silk with those slubs, (texture) raw silk, cotton, rayon. in that order.

there are many different grades of each of the above.

Comment

Working...
          X