Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I do It?

Helen

I have plenty to start off with as far as getting an apartment, deposit, buying a car, getting household items, and, enough for emergency's, I am just trying to make sure I will be making enough to live comfortable for the long term. .

Comment

Originally posted by chadhender
      Helen

I have plenty to start off with as far as getting an apartment, deposit, buying a car, getting household items, and, enough for emergency's, I am just trying to make sure I will be making enough to live comfortable for the long term. .
      I think, Chad, that "comfortable" is a relative word. Everyone's comfort level is different. You've received some good advice but you'll just never know unless you try. You don't mention kids so I assume you don't have any. If you did, that'd be a whole different story. As long as kids aren't involved I, personally, think...what do you have to lose?! You won't know 'til you spend time here whether or not you'll get rock fever. You won't know 'til you get here and start indulging in activities that are important to you, just how often you'll be able to indulge! Will you feel deprived if you have to cut back on those activities? Who knows! Once here you might find other activities you also enjoy that are less expensive; even FREE!

Personally I think maybe not include your wife's $15k into the equation. Maybe allot that for her school expenses and save the rest until you find your financial groove, so to speak, in island living. You *can* live on Oahu on $52k (before taxes) as so many people live on so much less. The question becomes how you and your wife are at compromising? And, you won't know 'til you try! Your biggest obstacle, as I see it, is our tight, expensive rental market.

I say...go for it! You have a decent paying job waiting for you. You're luckier than most. If you don't like living in Hawaii you can always move back to the mainland. Kinda like a haircut...if you don't like it, it'll always grow back! Yah...a silly anology!

Comment

chad, go for it! we are a one income household, have 2 children,some fish, a rottweiler and soon an african grey, we live in a 2 bedroom townhouse in a very decent location and by God's grace we are able to afford the things we need and sometimes even have some leftover for fun things. If you and your wife want to live here, you can make it happen!

Comment

chad- you have a great job offer- so you'll have to pinch pennies now and then- you're living in paradies and you can always leave after a year if for some reason you hate it. I am also thinking of moving there but on much less salary. I figure, I can live on less there and why not- it's warm and there's lots ot do outside that's free. I get the impression things are much less materialistic there too so it may rub off on us!

Comment

Aloha Chad,

one of the earlier posts had some very good words of wisdom about having enough for what they NEED. If you can learn the difference between what you need & what you just "want", you will not have any problems living here on the salary you mention. and as for a convenient neighborhood for work & UH, look at Makiki - also close to major supermarkets, Wal-Mart, Sams Club & major malls. and believe me, with some cruising around the streets and asking around, you can find a 2 BR apt. here for $1300! I pay just $700 for a large one BR so what you're seeing in the online ads is a bit high. It may not be the fanciest in the world but it will be convenient & liveable. Plus, look at it this way - you only need one wardrobe and you don't have to pay for central heating (although lately, my goose down comforter has come in handy ). The bus line that runs through Makiki goes direct to UH & also direct thru downtown where you will be working. and as for your wife driving to UH - word of advice, there is little to no parking available there for students!

The hardest thing for many to get used to is living on an island. Some get a claustrophobic feeling and feel isolated. But, I'm clautrophobic & feel very comfortable looking out at all that open space with the ocean. So, its just a matter of having perspective and making the choices that will work for YOU.

There is a Hawaiian proverb that I follow daily that goes like this: " `A `a i ka hula, waiho ka hilahila i ka hale". It says "if you want to dance the hula, leave the embarassment at home" - in other words, if you want to try something - then just go for it. You'll never know if moving will be a good thing unless you're willing to take the chance. So - just chance `em!!

Fran
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

(well, that sure shut everyone up...................)
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                (well, that sure shut everyone up...................)
                I think everyone's offline, running around looking for a $1300/mo. 2 bdrm apt.!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  I think everyone's offline, running around looking for a $1300/mo. 2 bdrm apt.!
                  One of my neighbors here on the windward side has a two-bedroom apartment available now.
                  At $2,500.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Perhaps my idea of "liveable" space is different from yours. I live in a one BR apt. of approx. 550 square feet, about 1 block from my bus stop. Convenient to 3 major supermarkets, Wal-Mart, Ala Moana center. No, it doesn't have wall-to-wall carpet, a lanai or a dishwasher - which I would love to have but can live without. But, its affordable ($700) and in a nice, safe neighborhood that I like & that works for me.

Apparently, I have much simpler tastes than the rest of you.
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Apparently, I have much simpler tastes than the rest of you.
                      I lived in a closet-sized studio in the heart of Waikiki, then both 1BR and 2BR units in crowded Makiki with my family, and know first hand the demand for bona-fide two-bedroom apartments in town. I'm pretty sure there are several renting for $1,300 -- here's one! -- but regardless of size and condition as you're implying, I'd wager they're pretty hard to get. Any rental unit of any size listed anywhere probably draws a stack of applications, and two-bedroom spaces are few and far between.

You are right, though, that the $1,300 rent for studio units the original poster found were for some of the "nicer" complexes in Waikiki. And there are certainly varying definitions of "adequate" accommodations. Some folks just want a roof over their heads. Some consider a secured building, an elevator, parking, and other ameneties to be vital.

ETA: Hey, if you're open to living in Makaha, you can get a whole house for that price.
                      Last edited by pzarquon; March 30, 2006, 06:29 AM.

Comment

[...]Apparently, I have much simpler tastes than the rest of you.
                        Not me, Fran! I live in 400 square feet in Makaha; a former hotel turned condo...no w/w carpet, no separate kitchen (it's along one wall in the living room), a broken dishwasher (used to drain clean, hand washed dishes!), 20 min. (w/no traffic!) to nearest big box stores. And ya know what? It's pure heaven 'cuz it's oceanfront, no mortgage (just that dang, continually escalating, maintenance fee!), great little beach right outside, nuthin' to do in Makaha.

Talk about simple...Love it! Hang on to that $700/mo. rental. Great deal! Have you lived there long?

In addition to the house rental PZ linked to, here's one real estate office's rental listings in Makaha. These are now typical high rents for the area.

Comment

Not sure what your short to long term goal is to live Hawaii, but with the salary you'll have, I'd seriously consider buying over renting.

There's a few "Condotel" offers around town that would suit your needs perfectly, such as this one at the Ala Moana Renaissance hotel. According to their ad, studios start from the upper $100,000's fee simple. So based on $200K @ 6% interest, that would be $1200/month, not including property tax, insurance and monthly maintenance fee and utilities. But hey, you'd OWN it.

These units have been fully refurbished with first class amenities in move-in condition. Of course, these are hotel units, so don't expect to play rounds of miniature golf in your living room anytime soon. Still, the location next to Ala Moana, which is just a 15 minute bus ride away from Bishop Street, and walking distance to the beach and Waikiki area make offers like this very attractive.

There was also a similar offer a few months ago at the Waikiki Parkside, just across Hilton Hawaiian Village.

If any real estate experts out there can offer more advice on these condotel "deals", do tell.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                          X