first trip to the islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first trip to the islands

planning a trip end of oct 2006 know nothing about the islands. where should i start. not too expensive i know i can't see it all in 2 weeks but could use some direction. where the best hotels are without breaking the bank. what tourists traps to stay from. what are the islands to see?

Re: first trip to the islands

Hawaii Island is the best by far. Oahu certainly has the most history. Molokai or Lanai if you want to 'get away from it all". But be careful what you wish for.

On Hawaii, see the volcano, but don't walk out to where the lava goes into the ocean. Stay in an old Hotel in Kailua-Kona or Hilo. You might try Country Club in Hilo (#519). Its got all granite & tile with place for a 3rd person or kids to sleep. Seaside in Kona is inexpensive (not cheap) and right in the heart of the action.

The resorts up north are real nice & expensive. But the wind blows fiercely, and, personally, I think the emperor wears no clothes. Best for exfoliation while sipping a sandy mai tai. I often wonder how those resorts get folks to come back when Kailua-Kona has such nice weather all time.

The Fair Wind is a fine snorkeling trip to Capt Cook Monument.
    Check out Ocean Eco Tours for diving/surfing - ask for Capt Radical Rob
    Try snorkeling at "Two Steps" in Honaunau.
    Dont forget to buy some Kona Coffee for your friends back home.
    Hawaii Forest & Trail for a trip up the mountain for sunset & stargazing.
    Eat at Huggo's at least once.
    Eat at The Harbor House at least once. Schooners Rule.
    Golf at Keauhou Country Club & Dinner at the Vista.
    Mexican Lunch at Habaneros.

Everybody goes on vacation. Some do it better than others.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
      Stay in an old Hotel in Kailua-Kona or Hilo.
      unco Billy's!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        unco Billy's!
        Oh dear!

Comment

Yeah, stay away from Maui. You'll hate all the perfect beaches and it IS called the "Mainland Island" because there are so many tourists there.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

YEAH, Stay away from Maui, too much traffic, cost too much and we no can get our Island slogan straight.
            Welcome to Maui the Valley Island, oh wait that is the Magic Island, Noooo,
            the Mainland Island....
            My point is come to Maui, enjoy our Island, it`s people, keep Maui green, then when you go home remember the experience!
            WELCOME TO OUR ISLANDS.....
            DON`T FORGET TO GO HOME....
            OGGBOY
            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
              YEAH, Stay away from Maui, too much traffic, cost too much and we no can get our Island slogan straight.
              Welcome to Maui the Valley Island, oh wait that is the Magic Island, Noooo,
              the Mainland Island....
              My point is come to Maui, enjoy our Island, it`s people, keep Maui green, then when you go home remember the experience!
              WELCOME TO OUR ISLANDS.....
              DON`T FORGET TO GO HOME....
              OGGBOY
              I second that! BTW watch out for the sharks around Makena!!!,
              also check out the Maui Ocean Center, go on a horseback tour into Haleakala Crater, then catch the ferry to Lanai and play golf at Koele and go parasailing in Kaanapali.

Comment

Honolulu's Chinatown!

Invited by:

btw: The Dim Sum on N. King Street next to Chinatown's Bank of Hawai'i is Excellent. It may not be as fancy in decor as Legend but the food is far better in taste and quality! The price is too.
                Last edited by 1stwahine; February 28, 2006, 10:16 AM.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

We visit the islands quite often and I know I would be bored to death if I spent two weeks on the big island. It was awesome, but not for two straight weeks.

Stay on Oahu, near Waikiki, and then hop over to the big island from there. Consider getting a visitor pass for TheBus and just explore Oahu. Stay away from those cute little trolleys, as they are the biggest rip-off in the world.

Go to the North Shore and have breakfast at Rosie's Cantina in Haleiwa. Go to Legend in Chinatown for dim sum, plus, there is a Legend at Waikiki Trade Center.

See Pearl Harbor, and if you're up for it, the Polynesian Cultural Center. It is an all day, exhausting ordeal, but you may find it interesting. I went once, and I will never go back. Great luau show, but the food is the worst, and there is no real coffee there because of the Mormons.

The Bishop Museum is wonderful and I have spent hours there.

My favorite though, is to get under an umbrella on the beach and start sucking down Mai Tais. Please wear a hat and slather on lots of sunscreen.

Comment

i was thinking on staying on more than 1 island. 2 weeks on 1 island is too much, maui and ???

Comment

Since this is your first trip, I'd stay on Oahu and make a short visit to the Big Island. I've never been to Maui, but I have heard many complaints from friends who have who say that it is even more expensive, and it didn't have the nightlife of Oahu. Plus,most first time visitors like to see the historical sites on Oahu, like the Arizona, Punch Bowl, etc.

Comment

Maui has some of the best beaches in the islands. It also has the nightlife that Honolulu has in Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Wailea, but is not quite as crowded. Traffic is horrible, and if you're staying in a hotel, it is as expensive as staying in Waikiki. There are lots of condos for rent, though, so if you only go to restaurants occasionally and do most of your cooking in the condo, you could have a nice time on Maui. For scenery, go to Kauai. For beaches, go to Maui. For volcanoes and agritourism, go to Hawaii (the Big Island). For big city life, stay in Honolulu. For seeing Hawai'i as it was about 30 years ago, go to Moloka'i.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, Moloka'i is the island we want to see next.

It's so cool that each island has something for everyone's taste, be it fast-paced, or relaxing. And it's all beautiful.

Comment

Every Island is unique in it`s own way....
                            I would suggest since it`s a 2 week stay your looking at, every Isle has a number of b&b places that are affordable compared.
                            Getting info from HT about our islands will help.
                            Kauai- The Garden Isle/Small in size, but lots of charm. Waimea Canyon, Hanalei Valley, Hanakapiai, Wailua River.
                            Oahu- The Gatering Place/Famous Waikiki beach, Great City life, Chinatown Hawaii, Get out to the country like Waimanalo or Makaha.
                            Molokai- The Friendly Isle/ go cruising on this laid back Isle. Kalaupapa Penisula, Kaunakakai Town, .
                            Lanai- The???/ Use to be called the Pineapple Isle!/Shipswreck beach, Manele Bay.
                            Maui- The Valley Isle/ No be surprised when you disembark your plane and see the words Welcome to Maui the Magic Isle. Mt. Haleakala, Hana, Lahaina.
                            Hawaii- The Orchid Isle/Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, Hilo, Kona, Waimea, Miloli`i.
                            ALL Special in their own way...
                            Enjoy you stay with us,
                            No Forget Keep Hawaii Green
                            No forget to go home....
                            ALOHA, OGGBOY
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Working...
                            X