X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving in June 2006 to Honolulu

I've found (and moved into) rentals I found via:

www.rentalsillustrated.com

The site is more frustrating to do searches on than it used to be (last I checked), but, three success stories from one site is a good track record).

Also, the Honolulu Board of Realtors provides a rental search feature at:

www.hicentral.com

You can also check the local papers' classifieds, Craigslist, etc.

And PSST! Here's a well-kept secret, used by LOTS of property managers seeking military tenants:

http://www.dodreferral.com/index_new.php?ID=hi
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

My advise to you is be careful! Unless you no people or have jobs lined up, your gonna have a hard time. The 50th State has it`s own problem with people moving here and thinking it`s all that easy. It is NOT!!!!!! We have our own problems like every other place...
      People moving to Hawaii, thinking everthing is "A" OKAY... In reality, you will realize what a wrong move you made. ONE WAY TICKCET TO PARADISE SPELLS TROUBLE.............. This is not intended to keep you from coming here, God knows we have are the melting pot of the pacific....
      JUST PLAN BETTER..................
      OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

I lived in Hawaii for 15 years. Big Island, Oahu, Lanai, Maui. When I first moved there I embraced the culture and the people. I was learning the language, history and culture of the Islands. After 15 years of hearing terms like "f***ing haole", "you're acting just like a haole", "lets go kill some haoles" and after years of attitude from "locals" simply because of the color of my skin (white) I came to realize that Hawaii was the most racist state I have ever lived in. The Islands are beautiful but the people are ugly. I would never move back there, not in a million years. Sad too, because I was a more productive, inclusive and spiritual person than most of the locals who lived there. They can have it. So unless you want your kids subjected to "kill haole day" at school or unless you want to deal with locals who think it is their birthright to use racial slurs or unless you want your kids banned from the best schools on Oahu because they are the wrong color and in a way that is no longer tolerated anywhere else in the U.S., then pass on Hawaii.

Comment

Whoa SRV, I'm sorry you feel the way you do about the Islands. I'm a local who's born and raised here and guess what, I have white skin and get called haole too but I never have and I'm sure I never will experience ther kinds of things you describe. Hawai'i is quite the opposite of what you've wrote. Your opinion seems to a reflection of some deeply rooted anger and you should consider seeking some spiritial guidance (IMHO).

Comment

Don't forget Craig's List as a source for rentals...I've had some friends who successfully found apartments through that site (it's not just for rentals on Oahu either).
            www.honolulu.craigslist.org/

If you DO have pets, you may want to check out the Hawaii Humane Society's rental site (they also have a list of pet-friendly buildings on Oahu):
            http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/progra...sing/index.asp

Comment

Originally posted by SRV
              I was a more productive, inclusive and spiritual person than most of the locals who lived there.
              And it was probably that very attitude that caused you to have problems.
              Your experience is definitely in the minority (no pun intended) of what the rest of us haoles have experienced.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by SRV
                I was a more productive, inclusive and spiritual person than most of the locals who lived there.
                If you gotta tell people how "spiritual" you are, you have a lot more work ahead of you in that department.

Comment

Don't give up on the roommate idea either. Because of the cost of living, it is not uncommon to see roommate couples. roommates.com has worked pretty well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    If you gotta tell people how "spiritual" you are, you have a lot more work ahead of you in that department.
                    Yep! Hawaii is the land of instant karma. One gets back what one puts out...wikiwiki!

Comment

Working...
                    X