Moving back to Mililani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving back to Mililani

Aloha! I don't have a question to post I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself.

I grew up in Mililani, moved away when I was a junior in high school fifteen years ago. My family (parents and sister) and I have finally made the decision to come back to the place where we belong. We all miss Hawaii so much! There's no place on earth like it. Even though I've been gone for so long, I've never stopped talking about Hawaii. My friends got so tired of hearing it and finally said to me nothing would be the way I remember it. Well, I've been back to visit a few times and, all I can say is, as much as things change, the more they stay the same. Luckily we're still friends with people who live in Mililani, Kapolei, and other parts of the island, and can get the inside scoop. They've all been instrumental in sharing information that can't be found via Internet. I know all the pros and cons of moving back and I've done all my "homework". I've been planning our move back since the moment we left. What took so long, yeah?

Dealing with relatives deaths and other family emergencies throughout the years, I know there was a reason why we were called to leave...but now there's a reason why we're being called to come back. I can deal with the traffic and high cost of living and lower salary. As most everyone states, that's the price you pay. There's bad traffic in almost every city. Believe me, Austin traffic sucks...the traffic system makes no sense, and cost of living in Austin ain't that great either; okay, it might be better than HI but still....

I'm African American and I'm looking forward to being around a diverse group of people and cultures, the weather, the food, the ocean,"no worries" attitude, etc. I will be returning for good at the end of the year. I can't wait to come home.

I wish everyone luck in their relocation! And for those who are looking to leave Hawaii for reasons that are not financial, take it from me...the grass is not always greener; stay in Hawaii, you won't regret it.

Cheers!

Re: Moving back to Mililani

Welcome to HT, Dee. And, welcome home!

Comment

Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com, Dee, from another Mililani resident. It sounds like you know our islands well, and certainly did your "homework," so if Hawaii calls, it's good to answer.

Wait a minute. A junior in high school fifteen years ago? At Mililani High School?

Dee, I was a junior at Mililani High School fifteen years ago, too!

Comment

Now this I gotta see. No getting a room you two! Let the rest of us watch this unfold.

@
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Mahalo to all for the warm welcome. Pzarquon what a coincidence! Those were the days, yeah? Did you attend Wheeler Intermediate?

Comment

Nope. I moved to Mililani the same year I started high school (I went to Washington Intermediate in town). I was class of 1992. Sounds like you left before I got involved with the class council my senior year... but you probably read the student rag, the Trojan Times. That's where I caught the J bug.

Mililani is much bigger than it was back then. But it's still essentially the same neighborhood. For better or worse! Do you have kids? I've three, and Mililani is great for them.

So you'll be getting on that plane at the end of the year? The wait must be agonizing! But I'm sure it'll be worth it.
            Last edited by pzarquon; May 24, 2006, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I am c/o '92 too. We probably know some of the same people. I did read the Trojan Times. That's great...you got off to a good start. There's a 15yr reunion in the works, are you going?

I don't have any kids yet and am still single. I keep saying that my future husband is in Hawaii waiting to meet me.

I was in Mililani this past December and you are definitely right. It has grown quite a bit but is pretty much the same. The Town Center was brand new when I left...there were only a handful of businesses in there. Now it's so full. I'm not used to Mililani Mauka...when I left they were barely breaking ground...I think that was the last of the pineapple fields. It's amazing. I don't anticipate it taking me too long to adjust. Luckily I have a good memory and I can still find my way around town.

My dad is there now staying w/a friend in Mililani checking out real estate. He calls and brags about waking up to sunny skies, cool weather and the mountains. I'm so jealous. The wait is definitely agonizing, six months can't go by fast enough.

Comment

Working...
              X