Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gearing up, but where to live

Hello,

In the comming months my girlfriend and I are planning to relocate to maui, or to Honolulu (if we cant work things out on maui).

what is the best area to be looking for housing, if I was to be working in Lahaina or Kapalua

is a car a requirement to living there?

I'm sorry my origional thread drew so much ill response (funny animation though)just looking for honest advice to the struggle of relocating.

Thanks
    glow.......
    ------------------------------------------------
    you know when the sun sits just below the horizon on the sea
    thats glowphyre, thats where youll find me.
    Last edited by glowphyre; June 18, 2006, 03:17 PM.

Re: gearing up, but where to live

Originally posted by glowphyre
    just trying to feel out some things, cause i have a very long list of things to do to get away from the fascist money hungry republicans of bellevue WA.
    get ready to soon enuff have a very long list of things to do to get away from the fascist money hungry republicrats of Hawaii.
    Last edited by kimo55; June 18, 2006, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Also i'm planning to bring mopeds with us(we dont drive) will this be terribly impractical?

just trying to feel out some things, cause i have a very long list of things to do to get away from the fascist money hungry republicans of bellevue WA.
      Um, Glow? You're not going to be moving away from the fascist money hungry Republicans of Bellevue if you move to Maui...they are all buying timeshares and second homes over there!

It's extremely hard to find reasonably priced accommodations in Lahaina or in Kihei. More than likely you would have to rent in Central Maui (Wailuku or Kahului, or maybe even upcountry, like in Makawao or Kula) and then commute to Lahaina. And on mopeds? I don't know if I'd want to chance that. There's only one main road to get from Central Maui to Lahaina (a 2-laner at that) that's prone to accidents. Your commute from Central Maui would be at least 45 minutes or so. When they have accidents on that highway, traffic comes to a screeching halt, often for hours. It's usually gridlock during the commute hours. Only thing crazier than a local driver in a hurry to get somewhere is a tourist gawking at the ocean while behind the wheel of a car.

If you're not willing to give up the choices you have in terms of places to shop (like Best Buy, etc.) forget it. Those don't exist on Maui, although it does boast a Costco by the airport and one Walmart and one Krispy Kreme (also by the airport). You might find it fun for a year of two, but it sounds like you're pretty young yet, so after awhile you might get bored living on a rock.

Good luck, though.

Miulang

P.S. your best bet to find housing on Maui is to look through the real estate section of the Maui News. Keep in mind also that it will cost more to live on Maui than Oahu because most everything is shipped to Maui from Oahu or the mainland.
      Last edited by Miulang; June 18, 2006, 12:17 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

how can you have a chicken that is a cosmetologist?
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
          how can you have a chicken that is a cosmetologist?

Uhhh..it was too hard to resist posting. My Bad!

NOT!

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You might want to check out the animal quarantine laws before you decide to move your chick out here.

I've heard of people moving there dogs and cats...but there chicks

Comment

....my chick and I ...

im in the hotel industry(planning a transfer) and my chicks a cosmetologist....
              Jessi Spano would've had your head on the chopping block by now.

I'm no women's lib activist, but I didn't think anyone still used that word to describe their S.O.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

so herers it, if we go to honolulu, i can probably find housing easier. but id like to avoid being in to much tourist trap. So i thought lahaina might be better
                You're correct -- there are no tourists in Lahaina. You and your chick will love it.
                Hey, you could live in non-touristy Lahaina and get jobs in Hana, and ride your mopeds to work and back every day! How cool is that?!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko
                  [...]I'm no women's lib activist, but I didn't think anyone still used that word to describe their S.O.
                  High 5, Lei. I'm no libber either but "chick" is just so passe, not to mention derogatory. It's right up there with "my ol' lady"! Hmmm...maybe I'm just showing my age!

To the OP: There are areas of Honolulu that aren't touristy just like there are areas of Maui that aren't touristy. If tourist traps are an issue for you stay away from Waikiki and Lahaina.

Comment

Re: moving to maui

Hello,

In the comming months my girlfriend and I are planning to relocate to maui, or to Honolulu (if we cant work things out on maui).

what is the best area to be looking for housing, if I was to be working in Lahaina or Kapalua

is a car a requirement to living there?

I'm sorry my origional thread drew so much ill response (funny animation though)just looking for honest advice to the struggle of relocating.
                    OK, Glow, this is in all seriousness. You're going to have a hell of a time finding decent, inexpensive housing in Lahaina or Kapalua (especially Kapalua). You will most likely have to live in South Maui (Kihei) or in Central Maui or upcountry. Your commute via car from Central Maui would probably average 45 minutes one way, barring an accident on the Honoapiilani Hwy. Upcountry? Figure about 1 1/2 hours. There is sorta public bus service, but it only runs during the week. Gas will cost you about 20 cents/gallon more than Oahu ( it was $3.64 the other week). You must work for the Ritz Carlton Hotel, yes? So you'd be working either at Kapalua or Kaanapali. Here are some stories about "Pulelehua" (a proposed "affordable" housing development that is supposed to be for hotel workers in the Kapalua area). Read some of the stories, and you will understand why housing will probably be a real headache for you.

Miulang

P.S. Most of the condos on Maui are timeshares, not long-term rental units, which is great if you're a 2-week tourist, but sucks if you are living there full time. And I still say that you need to check out the places for rent in the Maui News if you want to know what you're up against before you get there.
                    Last edited by Miulang; June 18, 2006, 05:05 PM.
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X