• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Debating job offer

Originally posted by tutusue
    so many of the best things to do in Hawaii are free
    Absolutely true.

Going from New York to Hawaii is going to be a big step, but once you take that step and go through the motions, you'll probably very happy that you did. It takes some months to adjust -- heck, if you drive, it will take a while just to adjust to a new way of driving. Hawaii as a whole is laid back, and once you gain that mindset, you've already won most of the battle.

Comment

Nothing personal towards you, youngrd2, but why is this company hiring someone from New York, when we have so many recent Hawaii college graduates (Kama'aina) looking for jobs?

60K? Heck, they could pay most college grads here 20k starting and they'd be happy.

I really thought you were going to say this was a medical position at St. Francis West, such as RN. I don't think even RN's get paid that much (which they should).

Anyone know if Matson or YB is hiring?

Oh, and let's see.. 60K/year>5K/month>2.5K/pay period (gross). Single. You'll do just fine here in Hawaii.
      Last edited by Pomai; August 16, 2006, 05:56 AM.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by youngrd2
        It is a financial analyst position. I believe the salary may be somewhat inflated since they do not offer relocation compensation. However seeing as I don't own a home, or really anything but a bed, t.v. and clothes for that matter, it is not much of an issue for me.

In that case, dump everything, sell them, give away and get that plane ticket to Hawai'i.
        Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
        Mark Twain

Comment

Pomai,

No offense taken at all. I have three years of cost analysis experience within the defense industry, and I think that is what made me attractive to the hiring company. Just enough experience to know what I'm doing and not enough to have to pay me a sky high salary.

Comment

youngrd2...

It depends on what kind of New Yorker you are. If you're a Type A New Yorker, used to 24 hour everything, and a really feverish pace, and like that lifestyle...this could be a BIG jump.

I would visit the Islands first and get a feel.
            http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
            Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
            Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Ewa Beach is really laid back compared to NYC. I lived in Chicago for two years and guess what? It was too fast for me, and it wasn't NYC. $60K starting salary? My gosh, I wish I got that!

Comment

I'm in the process of moving over from Los Angeles now. I also work in the Finance/Accounting field. I was a Finance Manager in Los Angeles for one of the movie studios. You're fortunate to have a job already. It's nearly impossible to get a job in Hawaii without already living there.

I'm using a recruiter and she told me not to start looking until I get over here. She however tell me that I shouldn't have a problem finding a good job with my experience. Fortunately, I was laid off in Los Angeles, so I'm able to collect unemployment until I find a job.

Anyway, I agree with one of the earlier comments that if you've never been you should visit first, because it's very different from New York.

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Originally posted by youngrd2
                  Pomai,

No offense taken at all. I have three years of cost analysis experience within the defense industry, and I think that is what made me attractive to the hiring company. Just enough experience to know what I'm doing and not enough to have to pay me a sky high salary.

What can be so hard about analyzing costs? Yep it's cheaper at this store than at that store.

And are they still paying $5,000 for a toilet seat in the defense dept? I think another analysis is in order there.

Anyway I've met a few people who've moved from the Big Apple to Honolulu and the first thing they tell me is that we're too laid back. But we like it that way. I tell them that they're too wound up and to relax, this is Hawaii not the mainland. Come here to Keaau on the Big Island and it's more like going comatose.

Grab that job and welcome to Hawaii...you're gonna love it here!!
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Yup. Went away and came right back. Can't handle the big rock since Hawaii has Zippy's, poke and also da beach! Plus, if you get lost, you just continue to drive. On the mainland, if you continue to drive, you going end up on the other side of the planet!

Comment

On the mainland, if you continue to drive, you going end up on the other side of the planet!
                      No...on the mainland if you continue to drive... you don't end up on the other side of the planet... you end up in an ocean.

Comment

k-den. My turn to welcome The Financial Analyst! Aloha & Welcome!!! You'll love Hawai'i and the Ewa Beach area.

I'm Auntie Lynn.heheheh

$60,000? Wow! Need help spending it? Juss call me.

Nah, juss joking. Not!!!
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2dive
                          I'm in the process of moving over from Los Angeles now.
                          Where in LA do you live? I live in Torrance. With my previous job I used to have an office in Pearl City & Wailuku and used to travel there quite a bit. I had seriously considered moving there two years ago because I have a lot of family on O'ahu & Kaua'i, but then I left that job. Like you, I have used a recruiter, but it's difficult as you mentioned. Good luck w/ your search and please keep me posted. Mahalo.

Comment

Kekaha Roots,

I live in Culver City, but that's only for another 2 weeks after which I'll be living in Kane'ohe on Oahu. In about 3 weeks I'll be meeting with my recruiter for the first time to start my job search. She's assured me that I shouldn't have a problem with finding a good job, I hope she's right. I have about 8 years of experience in Finance (budgeting, reporting, financial analysis, etc.). I'm looking to get a job that will give me more accounting experience, since I need that for my CPA.

I'll keep you posted. How serious are you about moving to Hawaii (Oahu or Kauai)? I know that Kauai doesn't have very many jobs, that was my first choice, but it doesn't have as much opportunity as Oahu.

Are you from Kekaha? My wife has a friend from there that still lives there.

Comment

Kekaha Roots,

I live in Culver City, but that's only for another 2 weeks after which I'll be living in Kane'ohe on Oahu. In about 3 weeks I'll be meeting with my recruiter for the first time to start my job search. She's assured me that I shouldn't have a problem with finding a good job, I hope she's right. I have about 8 years of experience in Finance (budgeting, reporting, financial analysis, etc.). I'm looking to get a job that will give me more accounting experience, since I need that for my CPA.

I'll keep you posted. How serious are you about moving to Hawaii (Oahu or Kauai)? I know that Kauai doesn't have very many jobs, that was my first choice, but it doesn't have as much opportunity as Oahu.

Small world. I currently work in Culver City and, yes, my family is actually from Kekaha (they've been there for the last 110+ years). Most of them attended Waimea High.

Which recruiter are you using? You can send your response to my email, or PM, if you'd like. Anyway, I was quite serious about moving my wife & kids over to O'ahu a few years ago when I was at my previous job. I would still prefer to move to O'ahu if the right opportunity came up.

Yes, I remember your thread about living in Kane'ohe. Great choice! That's one of my favorite places in Hawai'i. Anyway, look forward to your responses. Mahalo.

Comment

Kekaha Roots,

If you don't mind, I will like to know what recruiter you are using as well.

Thanks
                                Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X