Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha! Moving to Hawaii!

Aloha!

My family is moving to the Big Island! My husband will be over middle of October, my son and I will move over before Christmas. You know, house to sell and all here!

Looking for any helpful information that you have to offer! I'll find that book that has been mentioned "So you want to live in Hawaii"...any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ATMS

Re: Aloha! Moving to Hawaii!

Aloha, I'll refrain from commenting as I'm not in the loop as far as what to expect in Hawai'i currently. However, there are certainly more than enough people here that can/will address your questions, but remember, it may not be the answer you want to hear. Aside from that, welcome to the boards!
    "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
    "But I can't even read good."
    "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
    "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

err um... welcome...

I suggest you ask a a more direct question here and explain more about why your moving here and what for and what your family is into... then we might be able to assist you.

Good luck with your move over here.

Comment

Main suggestion, set your preferences not to limit the age of threads you see, and spend several days going through the old threads in these forums. Especially ones with stars on them. Such good info buried in all that

For the big island specifically I got a book called "Affordable Paradise". It has some nice tips and info. And a big (~30 page) chapter on reasons why you might (or might not) want to move, though maybe at this date it's too late for that...

Comment

Originally posted by ATMS
          Aloha!

My family is moving to the Big Island! My husband will be over middle of October, my son and I will move over before Christmas. You know, house to sell and all here!

Looking for any helpful information that you have to offer! I'll find that book that has been mentioned "So you want to live in Hawaii"...any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ATMS
          Although that book can be a helpful resource, keep in mind, that it is quite outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt_bean
            Although that book can be a helpful resource, keep in mind, that it is quite outdated.
            As is the Toni Polancy book.

Advice? Bring money and marketable skills. LOTS of money and/or HIGHLY marketable skills.

Comment

FWIW the Affordable Paradise book was last updated in 2005 (3rd edition). Which makes the prices a little bit out of date of course, but they are actually pretty close still. They also post updates on their web site (which seems to be down at the moment unfortunately).
              Last edited by Bard; September 18, 2006, 06:23 AM. Reason: Added links

Comment

Aloha. You mentioned having a son, is he school aged? Have you ever been to the islands before? I think children from the CONUS (copyright TimKona ) should always be prepared for how they may (or may not, hopefully) be treated in school by the local keiki. It's just reality.

Good luck on your move and I hope things go well.
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Aloha ATMS,

What part of the Big Island do you plan on moving to? The Kona side and Hilo side are quite different.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                  Aloha. You mentioned having a son, is he school aged? Have you ever been to the islands before? I think children from the CONUS (copyright TimKona )
                  Umm, TimKona didn't come up with the term "CONUS." The first person to use the term in HT was probably Pikake...
                  http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=CONUS

...while Pua'i Mana'o and Leo Lakio were among the first here to analyze its history and usage.

Timkona is the "politics of NO" and "cognitive dissonance" guy.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                    Umm, TimKona didn't come up with the term "CONUS." The first person to use the term in HT was probably Pikake...

...while Pua'i Mana'o and Leo Lakio were among the first here to analyze its history and usage.

Timkona is the "politics of NO" and "cognitive dissonance" guy.
                    I stand corrected then.
                    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                      As is the Toni Polancy book.

Advice? Bring money and marketable skills. LOTS of money and/or HIGHLY marketable skills.
                      How old is outdated? it's edition is as of June 2005.

I would guess it's one of the latest on this subject.

But the major points of the book have nothing to do with timeliness.

Everyone knows Hawaii is expensive so i don't think you would get this book to find out prices of things. You can research prices seperately with up to date figures.

I found this book the most realistic advice about hawaii. it doesn't paint the move as "paradise" and all that. it does a good job of weighing the good and bad. (almost to a point that scares people away from wanting to move to hawaii)
                      website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                      blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Hi, ATMS! Welcome to HT! I am also moving to Hawaii, Oahu, to be exact. You will be met with a certain degree of hostility by some people here on the boards, but...in a sense, they view newcomers as "invaders", so don't let this discourage you. You can't blame people for being territorial.

I have read extensively on HT the reactions to newcomers, and you will also be met with some warm and wonderful responses and advice. Pay no mind to the negativity, it's not worth the stress it will cause you.

I bought the book, and it's fairly good. As far as rents and real estate go, however, the prices quoted are out of date, but a vast majority of the information is good and timeless.

Go to rent/real estate web sites, and call them direct, as I did, to get the real low down on housing costs. I have found several reasonably (for Hawaii) priced condos to buy there, and have spoken to a very warm and wonderful agent in Honolulu. I look forward to doing business with him.

It also helps to go to the local newspaper, they are also online, and you can get more of a feel of the area you are moving to.

I am in the process of doing my moving sales, then listing my condo here in Las Vegas. It's quite an undertaking, but I am making progress. I keep telling myself it's the "journey" that matters, LOL!

I wish you a safe and smooth journey, may your new life be extraordinary!

Comment

Hi welcome to the HT.

All good advise and everything that Hope said....

Just make sure you have done your research on the school for your son.
                          Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you kindly, Queen I have read several of your posts, and I admire your intelligence and strength. Tenacity and strength are the keys to make it anywhere you may go. When I moved to Las Vegas, it was one tough place to come to! I kept telling myself this place was not going to beat me! Guess what? I beat it and will be walking away with a nice chunk to start out with

I am woman, hear me roar

Comment

manoa just heard a Purrrrrr coming from vegas

Comment

Working...
                              X