im new here to this thread, have a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im new here to this thread, have a few questions

i look at it this way. you dont go into somebodys house, and open the fridge with out asking. Thats what i dont want to do in hawaii. i have heard stories about locales not liking people from the mainland. i really do want to move there but not cause any trouble. i am about to be a EMT and probably going to move to the city for now. i heard it easier to get a job. if there is any advice that you can give me about anything that has to do with moving there. i would appreciate it, thanks

Re: im new here to this thread, have a few questions

Aloha and Welcome austintx!!!! I'm rushing outta the door. However, we've covered the subject you're seeking many times over on HT. Please do a search in our archives. You'll find many helpful answers there to make your transition to our islands easier.

Good Luck And God Bless

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Thank you, so far the first local has been nice

Comment

You going love it.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Bottom line that you will probably pick up from reading threads here: don't try to be what you are not.

Don't pretend to be "local" in an attempt to blend in. Let people get to know who you are and what you bring to the party. Be respectful and cognizant that there are cultural aspects that you've never known before. Keep your eyes and ears open to new things.

These are probably recommendations that you could make to people who want to move to Austin, or anywhere. But you get one extra one with living in Hawai`i: feel free to make your friends jealous.

Comment

An anyways....if (just if), sometimes, you feel a bit 'discriminated' against, don't sweat it, learn from it.

Comment

Howdy Spent about 5 years in school in Austin, how's it going back there these days?

An anyways....if (just if), sometimes, you feel a bit 'discriminated' against, don't sweat it, learn from it.
              Yeah, what was that quote... "only you can choose to be offended" Words to live by.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                "Learn from it"?

That sounds like the person who is being discriminated against somehow deserves it?

I gotta say that some people hate haoles here just on general principle. That's just the way it is. And IMHO, that's all there is to learn from that form of discrimination---that some people hate and discriminate for no damn good reason. You can't learn anything from that, except to try to come back as another race in your next life in order to avoid that kind of reaction.

If what you're saying is that perhaps one has acted like an insensitive boorish jerk and a local here has "discriminated" against him for doing so (wrong word to use, I think), then I see your point about using it as a learning experience.

OH NO....I am musing again...

MAS CAFE!!!

Comment

its great here. i am originally from north texas, but i moved here a year ago. i like it here alot but i think i might hawaii more. i learned you will be happier when you live someplace u like, thats why i want to move to hawaii. i think i was deprived as a child by not growing up by the beach ( and going to galveston,tx doesnt count). so im working on trying to get over there soon

Comment

Originally posted by austintx
                    i learned you will be happier when you live someplace u like, thats why i want to move to hawaii.
                    How many times have you been to Hawai`i so far, and where have you visited?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                      "Learn from it"?

That sounds like the person who is being discriminated against somehow deserves it?
                      I can best explain 'learn from discrimination' with my post, number 110, on the 'would you move back to Hawaii?' thread...

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                        I can best explain 'learn from discrimination' with my post, number 110, on the 'would you move back to Hawaii?' thread...
                        Okay...thanks. That made it a bit clearer.

Wonder if Ricky married a haole girl?

Comment

Originally posted by austintx
                          its great here. i am originally from north texas, but i moved here a year ago. i like it here alot but i think i might hawaii more. i learned you will be happier when you live someplace u like, thats why i want to move to hawaii. i think i was deprived as a child by not growing up by the beach ( and going to galveston,tx doesnt count). so im working on trying to get over there soon
                          Hah yes, I am also from that area originally. 18 years in N.T. and I was outta there... haven't moved back. Definite square peg/round hole situation there. Austin is pretty nice for Texas, but there's definitely more out there in the world.

Oddly enough I never went to Galveston, Padre, any of that ocean stuff in Texas. I guess the trip I took as a kid out to San Diego ruined me for most US beaches.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN

That's just the way it is.

LOL, total coincidence, but as I was scrolling down this thread I read "That's just the way it is" and happen to be listening to Bruce Hornsby The Way It Is.
                            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                            "But I can't even read good."
                            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Huh? Unless I misread your above post, which is possible, how come your asking about moving after having already done the deed? It kinda sounded as if you were asking about the atmosphere in Hawai'i when you're already here.
                              "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
                              "But I can't even read good."
                              "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
                              "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X