Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Condo Communities

Hello everyone!!!

I am looking at several condo communities to buy a condo. I am wondering if anyone here could tell me a little more about these places below. These are all in the Mililani area.

Waikalani Woodlands 1

Valleyview Melemanu

Hokuahi Apts

I'll like to get information about surrounding neighborhood? good/bad place to live? well run community? convenient to shopping? crime?

And most of all, how would the commute be to waikiki during rush hour? How long can I expect it will take to get to town in the morning and back in the evening?

Anything else I should be aware of???

Mahalo!!!
    Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    Mark Twain

Re: Condo Communities

Hui! Girlfriend!!! Are you on Oahu already? When did you arrive? And if you did...ALOHA!

I can't wait to meet ya!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
      Hui! Girlfriend!!! Are you on Oahu already? When did you arrive? And if you did...ALOHA!

I can't wait to meet ya!

Auntie Lynn
      Hi Auntie Lynn,

I can't wait to meet you too!!!!!!!

Actually, I am not in Oahu yet..... for sure I will let you all know when I am on my way. My arrival date will be sometime after Xmas but before New Year.

It's been a busy busy past month for me with selling the house, packing, selling things, and moving to mom's place.

I am shopping for my condo through my wonderful Realtor and friends over there. I have such a short time to get it down and over and I have obligations that are keeping me here this month so I was not able to fly over in person to see these places. But I trust my Realtor who is also a friend of mine and she has been God sent to say the least with this distance arrangement.

With sooooo much technology now, its been actually very easy doing this long distance. She visits everywhere I want to see and take pics and videos and email it to me. Gosh... she must take like 40 pics for each place... she measures each room, tells me about the view from the Lanai, what is around the area...etc...

I am hoping that I can get others opinions or info about these places I am looking at.

Aloha
      Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
      Mark Twain

Comment

those are verrrry old buildings...its an ok community..10 minutes away from a shopping center. this is more like in between of wahiawa and mililani district...will take you about 45 min w/o traffic to get to waikiki. valleyview is quiet and so is cathedral point. its an ok place to live but hard to resell being that its so old...oh and dont forget about maintenance fees!! all in al for these places its is kinda spacious. we used to rent out at valleyview and we liked it. just hated living on the 5th floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu View Post
          Hi Auntie Lynn,

I can't wait to meet you too!!!!!!!

Actually, I am not in Oahu yet..... for sure I will let you all know when I am on my way. My arrival date will be sometime after Xmas but before New Year.
          Tayo,

K-den. If you need help in settling in, picking you up, whatevas ~ let me know.

I'll PM you with my Ph.#

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
            those are verrrry old buildings...its an ok community..10 minutes away from a shopping center. this is more like in between of wahiawa and mililani district...will take you about 45 min w/o traffic to get to waikiki. valleyview is quiet and so is cathedral point. its an ok place to live but hard to resell being that its so old...oh and dont forget about maintenance fees!! all in al for these places its is kinda spacious. we used to rent out at valleyview and we liked it. just hated living on the 5th floor.
            Which buildings are you talking about ... all of them or just Valleyview? Actually most of the older buildings are much better than all the new things they build these days of plywood and drywall. What's important is the upkeep and if the interior has been updated and most of what I am looking at are very updated, such as this one here, http://www.thekaufmanadvantage.com/p...4&PhotoCount=7

Waikalani Woodlands 1 - 1976 - MT $306

Valleyview Melemanu - 1973 - MT $209

Hokuahi Apts - 1977 - MT $180

WOW.... 45 minutes without traffic to Waikiki.... that means 2 hours during rush hour.

Thanks for the info. Keep them coming.
            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

Comment

Tayo -

just remember that what you sold in the Mainland was probably nicer than what you will get here in Hawaii.

I know your very accepting of many things... I just want you to know that some of Oahu's Condo's are "Very Old"

Good luck with things... you know how to get in touch w/ me.

Comment

Here is a nice site that might be helpful to those looking for RE on Oahu:

http://www.hawaiiinvestor.com/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                  Here is a nice site that might be helpful to those looking for RE on Oahu:

http://www.hawaiiinvestor.com/index.html
                  Actually, I didn't find that site user friendly at all and very confusing. These sites are better.

http://www.cbpacific.com/ - you need to sign up (free) to get all the info
                  http://www.thekaufmanadvantage.com - no need to sign up here....this gives you all the info and you can search by different things...

Thanks
                  Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

Comment

http://www.thekaufmanadvantage.com - no need to sign up here....this gives you all the info and you can search by different things...

Thanks
                    I like the Kaufman site. It even lists sex offenders in the area!

Comment

Which buildings are you talking about ... all of them or just Valleyview? Actually most of the older buildings are much better than all the new things they build these days of plywood and drywall. What's important is the upkeep and if the interior has been updated and most of what I am looking at are very updated, such as this one here, http://www.thekaufmanadvantage.com/p...4&PhotoCount=7

Waikalani Woodlands 1 - 1976 - MT $306

Valleyview Melemanu - 1973 - MT $209

Hokuahi Apts - 1977 - MT $180

WOW.... 45 minutes without traffic to Waikiki.... that means 2 hours during rush hour.

Thanks for the info. Keep them coming.
                      the owners probably remodeled. it looks purty you know they bought those things for like 70,000 at one point right :P the interior is nice althouhg the buliding itself might look old...although i don't know if they have repainted it. our landlord offered to sell it to us for 75,000.. 2 br 1 bath at valleyview. we couldn't have pets though so we declined. certain parts of valley view even if you are a homeowner will not allow you to have a pet. my husband stayed at cathedral point when he was single and liked it... dont know about hokuahi.

Comment

Hello everyone!!!

I am looking at several condo communities to buy a condo. I am wondering if anyone here could tell me a little more about these places below. These are all in the Mililani area.

Waikalani Woodlands 1

Valleyview Melemanu

Hokuahi Apts

I'll like to get information about surrounding neighborhood? good/bad place to live? well run community? convenient to shopping? crime?

And most of all, how would the commute be to waikiki during rush hour? How long can I expect it will take to get to town in the morning and back in the evening?

Anything else I should be aware of???

Mahalo!!!
                        I worked for a contactor who manages HUD properties. I did property management work for units in all three condos.I personally wouldn't buy a condo any in any of those buildings.Those buildings are old some units have had plumbing, electrical, and mold problems. Woodlands and Valley View are on the northern end of Mililani. Hokuahi is in a nice neighborhood but I didn't find the complex all that appealing. Again, it depends on what you are looking for. Any place in Mililani would be convenient for shopping. Waikele is just down the road too.Drugs are a known problem in these areas but then again, what part of the Isdland isn't affected? not everyone who lives in those condos do drugs. I'd be willing to bet the majority of them don't.

The commute to and from Honolulu during rush hour will be bad. I work in Wahiawa (from Honolulu) and see all that traffic going in the opposite directions every weekday. 2 hours is about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                          I worked for a contactor who manages HUD properties. I did property management work for units in all three condos.I personally wouldn't buy a condo any in any of those buildings.Those buildings are old some units have had plumbing, electrical, and mold problems.

The commute to and from Honolulu during rush hour will be bad. I work in Wahiawa (from Honolulu) and see all that traffic going in the opposite directions every weekday. 2 hours is about right.

IMHO it would be a much better idea to rent for a while to get the feel of different areas and check out the properties yourself. Everyone I know who has moved from the mainland and eventually bought property here has done that, including myself. And I know many many people who have moved here from the mainland.

Yes, some had RE agents looking for them before they got here but none actually purchased property without looking at it and carefully checking out the neighborhoods themselves.

I realize that seeing that rent check go out might seem like an incredible waste of money but I would think buying a condo sight unseen (unless, of course, it was in something like the Trump building---lol) is so risky and could lead to awful heartbreak. There is such a wide scope of variables in Hawaii, from neighborhood to distance from work to the individual unit itself.

It's important to check out the neighborhood, even the section of the building you are interested in, at different times of the day and week, too. Things can change drastically after folks come home from work and kids come home from school.

What looks decent on the internet, with pictures taken during daylight working hours, could have a parking lot just under your bedroom window that turns into a hip-hop drugfest after midnight.

A few months of renting and leisurely home-hunting could make such a difference in your happiness here.

Just my two cents.
                          Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; November 10, 2006, 12:56 PM. Reason: Actually, I re-thought the edit and decided against it.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your information. I really appreciate it.

Aloha!
                            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

Comment

Aloha anyone. Can you please tell me about Pearl City area.

We have narrowed the list to two condo's, one in Pearl City and one in Mililani.

The one in Pearl City is on Acacia Rd, the development is called Acacia Park. I understand that military housing is right next to it and across the street and around it are many stores. Easy access to highway.
                              http://www.thekaufmanadvantage.com/C...PropertyType=2

The other one in Mililani is on Hokuahiahi St, the development is called Hokuahi Apts.
                              http://www.thekaufmanadvantage.com/C...PropertyType=2

Can anyone please tell me about that area in Pearl City and or Pearl City in general. I know it's closer to Waikiki for sure.

For commuting purpose right now, I am thinking I should pick the one in Pearl City. Also, it's not old like the other condo's in Mililani, this one in Pearl City was build in 1986 compared with the Mililani condo's in the 1970's. Though it is smaller than the condo's in Mililani.

Mahalo nui loa!!!
                              Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X