Here's hoping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's hoping

Aloha. My partner, our four year old and myself have decided, after a year of thinking and planning,to move to Hawaii.We were drawn to the Big Island and have spent a great deal of time reading about Kona and Hilo. Our fear (and there are many) is that we will move from the small conservative town we are currently in and land in the same predicament. My partner and my son will be in Oahu for a few days checking out the island before heading for the Big Island. So, let me ask all of you. If you were a young family with little money, desire multicultural diversity where would you go? Island? City?

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Mahalo,
    Alejandro

Re: Here's hoping

Welcome, Alejandro, and kudos for your decision. Hawaii does have the power to enchant and inspire... more than a few folks find themselves unable to get the islands out of their heads, and end up making them their new home.

Still, there's a lot of research and preparation needed for any move, and a move to Hawaii is a considerably more complex undertaking than just heading to the next town or to another continental state. I'm glad you've planned another visit to learn even more, though many find it will take several trips, and longer stays than your average vacation, to really prepare for island living.

Our fear (and there are many) is that we will move from the small conservative town we are currently in and land in the same predicament.
    Well, I don't know just how small or conservative the town you're living in now is, but Hilo might qualify on both counts, depending on where you're coming from. Still, it's among my favorite places. What is it that you're concerned most about? Politics? Economics? Race? The Kona side, with its more resort-oriented businesses and population, might have something closer to an urban mentality, but again that can be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you were a young family with little money, desire multicultural diversity where would you go? Island? City?

Though it's not an answer some folks like to hear, I always encourage new transplants to start in Honolulu. You might not get the laid back, friendly, rural vibe you're desperately seeking, but when it comes to having enough of a cushion (as far as opportunities and experiences are concerned) to make the transition a smooth one, O`ahu's your best bet. After you've gotten a feel for island life, and weaned yourself somewhat off the trappings of city living, then taking the next step for a small cottage on Kauai or a hillside lot in Volcano on the Big Island will be much easier.

Of course, since you're coming from a small town, Honolulu might very well be overwhelming. There are quieter neighborhoods, fortunately, than the heart of downtown or Makiki.

Meanwhile you'll have a wider array of jobs, cultural activities, culinary experiences, entertainment, health care, athletics, and on and on and on. When landing in a completely new place - a completely new country, effectively - options are a good thing. You can be more sure of what you want and where you'll find it... or discover, maybe, that the mix of city and country on O`ahu is just right.

Comment

Thank you so much for your honest reply. My partner and I have not just lived in small town USA. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and my partner has been all over the US and abroad. We ended up in a small town with little to no cultural resources or racial diversity by bizarre life changes. It has has some great moments howerver it is time to move on.

Options, just trying to make sure that we have some. We are in fact, flying blind with intuition and books as our guides so any advise is good advise right now.

Gracias and Mahalo
      Alejandro

Comment

Ryan gave you an excellent answer, Alejandro. You really should take an extended vacation in Hawaii to examine things in depth before you make the move. After all, if Hawaii doesn't work out for you after you move here you'd still have the expense of moving and then moving away.
        You mention "very little money" -- what is your plan to earn income(s) while you are in Hawaii? Are you aware of the exceptionally low pay in most jobs here and of the exceptionally high cost of living, especially on the outer islands? Many folks have to have two and even three jobs just to survive.
        I hope you think this all through very carefully, and wish you the best of luck!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Alright, A, the city is the obvious choice. Depends on what you like, but the city won't stare at you funny. Big Island, live in Volcano....plenty of cool people and the living is easy. But no jobs. So you'd better do something hi-tech for a living.

That's it, brah.

Comment

Well, so far, sincerity seems to be the rule and I thank all of you for that. All of these posts have been extremely helpful. Anyone from Kailua-Kona or Hilo? Wondering what life is about in these areas. I know someone who is currently in Kauai checking things to see if she wishes to move there. Don't know much about that particular island. Any one have thoughts on it?

Mahalo,

Alejandro

Comment

Working...
            X