Sea Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sea Glass

When I took a stained glass making class, the cobalt blue and red glass was the most expensive. I think it's because the pigments are more rare and expensive than any other color. You hardly ever see any red bottles (you do see cobalt blue bottles sometimes).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Saw this thread yesterday while lurking... I thought they were talking about finding glass ball fishing floats . I didnt wanna burst no ones bubble and say good luck but no more already. Did a google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass

Comment

Try the left side of Kahana bay after the boat ramp. Lots of sea glass ends up on that side probably because of the ramp and currents.

Not too much Japanese glass floats around anymore. Many have gone to plastic or other material due to costs. But back in the 60's and 70's an early morning stroll along Makapuu would net you several floats sometimes you could find the bigger ones, but typically the 4-inch ones were pretty common back then. I was lucky to find one when I was a kid back then. I think I still have it somewhere.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
          Saw this thread yesterday while lurking... I thought they were talking about finding glass ball fishing floats . I didnt wanna burst no ones bubble and say good luck but no more already. Did a google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_glass
          On the Oregon coast every year the local artists make glass balls (fishing floats) and hid ethem all over the beaches. So througout the year people will find them,
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

I had a customer come in once looking for twine. She wanted to make those nets for some glass ball floats she had. During our conversation she asked me if I had any glass balls

"No" I told her but I do have galvanized nuts in Aisle 14!

She almost gagged on her Jamba Juice she was sipping on!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Another interesting treasure to be found at the Contstitution St. Beach in Bristol (not nearly as often as sea glass, but it does show up) is what appears to be fragments of broken chinaware. This broken chinaware is always white with scenes of what appears to be the Orient that have painted in royal blue...I've never seen any other color or scene. Every now and then, I would find a piece with a relatively complete scene...sometimes a pagoda in a pine-forested valley, or sometimes field hands working in rice paddies, but most the times, the pieces I would find would have nothing more than Chinese characters painted on. The Warren (RI) Town Beach, for whatever reason, seems to have far more of these chinaware fragments to be found, (like sea glass), usually after high tides. I may have a couple of pieces of this chinaware laying around somewhere within my home. I've yet to find anyone here who can tell me anything about this chinaware.
              Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; April 21, 2007, 04:03 AM.

Comment

I used to find lots of sea glass on Sand Island beach, but that was a long time ago.
                "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Great lamp! I wish i could find enough beach glass to do that with.
                  tutusue, you're right.. there's something really special about it. I always wonder where the glass has been-- it must have been out there for a long time and pushed in by the tide. How old is it? how long has it been rolling down there? Is it some old bottle tossed overboard by some old ship??

My grandmother, who was born and raised in hawaii but moved to georgia later in life, still has one of the big, big, huge (2 ft?) fishing floats. It was frosted (not in a cool way, in a half done way!) and i always tried to clean it off when i visited as a child, thinking it was muck. Then, last time, i was sanding and staining an old oar, when i had an idea.. i took my 500 (or 800) grit sandpaper over and scrubbed the float's surface a little.. it worked! after half an hour it was beautifully polished.
                  She had a 1 foot one in the original net, and when i redid her back porch for her, i hung it on a hook. It looked beautiful and caught the sun in amazing ways.. but we went to the lake in south carolina for the weekend and a storm came through. when we got back, there it was, smashed all over the padio. I cried for an hour.. i felt so awful! she wasnt upset, though. She had lots of smaller ones and even gave me one of the teeny little 2 inch ones.

-sh"long post!"en

Comment

I found a bunch of broken what i think was ceramic. It has Chinese or some sort of Asian writing all over it. Don't kick me I don't know how to explain it. It was light blue with dark blue writing all over. It was a very exciting find.
                    Even though it was worthless it meant the world to me. I still have it in my rock pile of agates and glass in the front yard.
                    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                    Sharing withother survivors...
                    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

We have found some decent pieces at Haunama Bay (it really makes you wonder how much junk people tossed into the bay through the years. No wonder it's protected now). But, some really fine pieces can be found anywhere on the beach from about the old Natitorium at Waikiki all the way round to the Lighthouse at the base of Diamond Head. Low tide is the best time to do it. It can be rough walking in spots, so wear your Gators or at least a good pair of rubba slippas.

Good luck, and don't take them all - save some for me! LOL !!

Aloha!

Comment

Go near where people drink bottles of beer, or where they throw rubbish into the ocean. I used to find plenty in Mokuleia as a kid. The blue bottles from milk of magnesia were the rarest.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, the blue glass is really the best, and as you say, very rare. The first piece I ever found was on Waikiki by Duke's, a beautiful brown beer bottle piece, from the neck of the bottle. I still have it. I almost threw it away until I took a good look at it. I had never heard of sea glass until then. A life guard nearby told me about it.

Aloha!

Comment

I wonder if a rock polishing machine and some sand could do the same effect? Of course, it wouldn't be authentic...
                            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

I once thought of that - I bet it would work fine. You know something, everytime I walk into one of those pricey shops on Waikiki and see all that first class sea glass for sale at premium prices, I just know those people there didn't spend all day walking up and down the beach, getting a stiff neck looking for it. I could be wrong. I'm such a cynic.

Aloha!

Comment

Working...
                              X