Leave the islands to the locals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leave the islands to the locals?

Great topic. I've been "planning" to move to HI since college ('73) but @ each point, something made it impossible/ill-advised. Now, 2 1/2 years from soonest retirement, I'm "planning" again.

This thought (topic) also crossed my mind mainly since I've visited several times since 1976. It came to mind when I visited Hanauma Bay, noted the traffic in Waikiki, was restricted from getting to the toilet bowl...and last week saddeded by the closure of the Ocean View Restaurant (Kona) - now it's a generic, corporate, trendy, tourist-oriented eatery.

But keep in mind (as a Californian), there are SO many locals leaving the islands & ending up here. They all have Island Fever, want to make more $$$, own a home (also difficult in SoCal) and/or looking for more opportunities (scholstic & occupationally).

As a non-local, I'd vote for responsible immigration; essentially responsibly-minded people like yourself who have something of value to offer to the community. HI needs to be as self-sustaining as possible in the event oil prices make it impossible for Joe & Jane Average to fly their soon-to-be-pink bodies to HI for vacation.

(my 2 cents)

Comment

WindwardOahuRN is one of the more rational voices on this thread.

I like the way she highlights her points with dripping sarcasm to shed light on the pervasive ignorance that is part & parcel of life in Hawaii.

Having been here nearly 15 years, it is still surprising to me that so many in Hawaii embrace, nay, REVERE ignorance as if a virtue. You see it constantly in the Politics of NO.

Being stupid is neither funny nor cute. It is tragic.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Of course, how do you define "locals?"
        I think this is the crux of the matter, and I find it telling that it's been unanswered so far in this thread.

This having been Asian American Heritage month and all, I'm reminded that being "local" is totally subjective, as Leo points out. One could make the argument that there are actually no such thing as "locals" in Hawaii. After all, didn't the Native Hawaiians themselves immigrate from across Polynesia? What's made our country great is the strength in diversity we've built from all the peoples who make up our population. If everyone had the "leave xxx to the locals" mentality, today I'd be SoChina Boy, never having met my wife who'd have been born and raised in Japan. ChicagoGuy could be RomeGuy or SeoulGuy or RioGuy. There would be no USA and all of our lives would be poorer for it. With the exception of the Native Americans, everybody in our country, including Hawaii, came from somewhere else at some point.

Originally posted by ChicagoGuy75 View Post
        I might sound like a bastard, but I say leave the islands to the locals.
        How far would you take this? Why stop at Hawaii? Should we in California take the same position against "non-locals?" I'm reminded regularly how lucky I am to be a "native" Californian when I meet people who make a life decision to move here from somewhere else. But I never hear of people hesitating to move here because they might take a job away from a "local". I know neither my grandparents nor my wife did before they moved here from Hawaii.

I'm going to take a wild stab and posit that the difference may be that it's impossible to tell at first glance whether one is "from" California. However, I'd venture to guess (and I know you'll correct me if I'm wrong) that when some "locals" first see a caucasian Hawaii resident their first impression might not be that he/she is even kama'aina.

Okay "locals", bring the pain!
        Last edited by NoCal Boy; May 31, 2007, 08:47 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Native Americans are originally from Asia. Try telling them their status as "indigenous" is bogus.

Every year we have "Diversity Day" at my work. Booths for various ethnic groups etc. We even have had one for "Native" Califorrnians. Guess who proudly occupies that booth?
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
            Native Americans are originally from Asia. Try telling them their status as "indigenous" is bogus.

Every year we have "Diversity Day" at my work. Booths for various ethnic groups etc. We even have had one for "Native" Califorrnians. Guess who proudly occupies that booth?
            Well, I was going to go with "all humans are originally from the Pangea supercontinent" but I thought that was going too far.

I'm curious, is the intent of the native Californian booth a tongue-in-cheek kinda thing, or a nod to the native California tribes? Never heard of that one, even up here where the former "Columbus Day" is celebrated as "Indigenous Peoples Day". I'd guess most of the country would picture a native Californian looking like Jeff Spicoli.

Comment

My definition of "Local" in the context of pertaining to Hawaii is someone who was at least born in Hawaii. It would be hard to black and white "Local". There's people who are nomadic so defining themselves based by Locale would be hard. Raised until adulthood would make it even easier to label one "Local". For me, once "Local" to Hawaii, it's for life. My grandmother was born in Japan, and lived there until age 5 until her parents immigrated to Hawaii. In my definition, she was never "Local" to Hawaii.

I didn't address this issue earlier cuz, why waste time labeling the children of the Earth? In the grander scale of things we all come from the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by NoCal Boy View Post
                I'd guess most of the country would picture a native Californian looking like Jeff Spicoli.
                Bingo! Exactly why I will have nothing to do with it and I was born in SoCal like my father before me(rare these days).
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

How far would you take this? Why stop at Hawaii? Should we in California take the same position against "non-locals?" I'm reminded regularly how lucky I am to be a "native" Californian when I meet people who make a life decision to move here from somewhere else. But I never hear of people hesitating to move here because they might take a job away from a "local". I know neither my grandparents nor my wife did before they moved here from Hawaii.

Okay "locals", bring the pain!
                  Exactly…I agree being from a place like SF, I have never thought of people from other places as taking away jobs from Natives. Living in Hawaii is not for everyone. When I tell people I’m moving they are shocked that I want to leave SF, where I was born. Some of those same people are from Hawaii. There are a lot of draw backs living on an Island ~ I know because I lived on one for nine years. But there is no question that some people are meant to live on an Island and I know I’m one of those people. It depends on how one relates to the locals. I’m not there to change their culture I’m there to honor their culture and walk lightly on the earth. You get what you put out....

BTW I love you're "don't call it Frisco" line my pet peeve
                  "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

I'd guess most of the country would picture a native Californian looking like Jeff Spicoli.
                    They don't?????

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                      State employees don't get a COLA at all. By contrast, the Feds get 25%.
                      Then again, that might not last. Apparently there's talk about changing the system so that federal employees would get locality pay instead of a COLA.

Comment

Working...
                      X