Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thailand Thread

Originally posted by shaveice
    AuntieNellieKulolo, i'm a little surprised to hear you say that you're thinking of teaching esl in thailand; not that it's bad but i thought you had that career thing in ny? maybe i'm mixing you up with someone else. got my first master's in esl but never taught there (japan for 10 years). i think you'd love it. of course, like anywhere else, your experience will vary depending on how far from the city you live/teach. for my money, nothing beats the countryside....
    I'm living in NYC but I don't have what anyone would consider a 'career'... I've spent over 5 years at the same dead-end library job at a small 4-year college and still haven't cracked the $40K barrier. I could make more $ working at a law library but I've worked with lawyers in HNL and don't care to go down that road again. Rents are even more insane in the 5 boroughs than in HNL, especially if your credit isn't perfect. I was thinking of looking for a job in SF at the public library since my mom lives in the area, but am asking myself if I want to spend the rest of my life doing what I've been doing for the last 5 years, for slightly better money and fair to middling climate. SF isn't NYC(and that's a GOOD thing) but it ain't 'aina or anything resembling it. I like wearing slippahs year-round, palm trees, locally grown mangos and papayas. With my credentials I could get a good TEFL job at a gov't school in BKK and make about 35-40K Baht per month, which works out to about $1K, but (the key point) rents are about 7-13K Baht/month. Rents and salaries are somewhat lower outside of BKK and jobs harder to find but like shaveice mentioned, the countryside is a nicer place to live. Many of these apartments even have amenities like weekly maid service, cable included, etc. In NYC, the most you are likely to get as an 'amenity' is an elevator... Compare that to my monthly take-home pay of about $2K -I would need to pay at least half of that in rent. I love teaching but am unqualified in the US and don't feel like jumping through all the hoops the DOE requires only to teach unruly kids for peanuts in a combat zone- no wonder there's a teaching shortage. Plus it's a tropical climate, lots of cheap airfares to other Asian cities, beautiful temples, excellent food... I will most likely go there on vacation next summer to check out the schools and see if it's as wonderful as 'they' say, if so then my plan is to make my escape in January '07 just in time for the annual NYC deep freeze!

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
      I'm living in NYC but I don't have what anyone would consider a 'career'... I've spent over 5 years at the same dead-end library job at a small 4-year college and still haven't cracked the $40K barrier. I could make more $ working at a law library but I've worked with lawyers in HNL and don't care to go down that road again. Rents are even more insane in the 5 boroughs than in HNL, especially if your credit isn't perfect. I was thinking of looking for a job in SF at the public library since my mom lives in the area, but am asking myself if I want to spend the rest of my life doing what I've been doing for the last 5 years, for slightly better money and fair to middling climate. SF isn't NYC(and that's a GOOD thing) but it ain't 'aina or anything resembling it. I like wearing slippahs year-round, palm trees, locally grown mangos and papayas. With my credentials I could get a good TEFL job at a gov't school in BKK and make about 35-40K Baht per month, which works out to about $1K, but (the key point) rents are about 7-13K Baht/month. Rents and salaries are somewhat lower outside of BKK and jobs harder to find but like shaveice mentioned, the countryside is a nicer place to live. Many of these apartments even have amenities like weekly maid service, cable included, etc. In NYC, the most you are likely to get as an 'amenity' is an elevator... Compare that to my monthly take-home pay of about $2K -I would need to pay at least half of that in rent. I love teaching but am unqualified in the US and don't feel like jumping through all the hoops the DOE requires only to teach unruly kids for peanuts in a combat zone- no wonder there's a teaching shortage. Plus it's a tropical climate, lots of cheap airfares to other Asian cities, beautiful temples, excellent food... I will most likely go there on vacation next summer to check out the schools and see if it's as wonderful as 'they' say, if so then my plan is to make my escape in January '07 just in time for the annual NYC deep freeze!
      I lived in Manhattan from 1998-2000 and San Francisco from 2001-2002. I thought I'd enjoy San Francisco a lot more.. but strangely, I didn't. I like many things ABOUT San Francisco.. but didn't like actually living there.

More jobs in Manhattan.. and more fun.. things stay open later.. and costs of everything seemed more out of range of salaries in San Francisco unfortunately.

That being said.. I like the climates around the Pacific Ocean MUCH better..

Comment

hi auntie. okay, i see where you're coming from. good luck. i hope the scouting trip works out.

i'm sure this doesn't apply to you but to anyone who's thinking of teaching overseas, please try hard not to make an okole of yourself. when i lived/taught in japan, i saw so many embarrassing examples of americans thinking they were hot s*$%. so embarrassing. the japanese treated them so nicely that it all went to their head. we used to have a rude saying about those people. we used to say that japan was a first-class country for second-class people. put those same people in the states and they wouldn't be anything special.

anyway, to anyone who'd going to teach in thailand or japan (where they show great respect to teachers), please try to keep a level head and be humble....
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
        X