Thousands missing in Philippines landslide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thousands missing in Philippines landslide

The village of Guinsaugon on Leyte Island, which was home to more than 2,500 people, is now completely levelled due to an earthquake and mudslide that swept over the village yesterday.

When will Mother Nature stop flexing her muscles and spare people who have very little in the first place from her wrath?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Thousands missing in Philippines landslide

I was in the middle of formulating a smart-ass comment in reply --- but I can't do that. This is just too sorrowful.

Comment

Things that make you go Hmmm?

In the last couple of years we sure have seen alot of human life lost to natural disasters. These situations really bring out the good in the people that choose to help, but it sure does hurt to see all the pain and heartache.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        When will Mother Nature stop flexing her muscles and spare people who have very little in the first place from her wrath?

Miulang
        Never. personified natural forces are indiscriminate. nature can and will take life and limb and property from the haves as equally as the have nots.
        yes, it is very unfortunate, seen through our eyes, but that is the way the world is.
        Last edited by kimo55; February 18, 2006, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Except that the haves usually live on higher ground.

The video I saw of the town was breathtaking, and not in a good way. It was in a green, green, green tropical valley, and the mud completely covered the valley floor. When the image first flashed on the TV, for a moment I thought I was looking at a lava flow, except that the stuff wasn't black enough.

Scary.

Comment

The photo in the Honolulu Advertiser is chilling at best. Mud as thick as thirty feet deep, impossible to move quickly with a shovel, knowing the futility of digging in that mud has got to be maddening for those at the scene.

No words...
            Feed the world's hungry, visit: www.thehungersite.com

Comment

PHILIPPINES LANDSLIDE RELIEF EFFORT
              A fundraiser will be held at the Filipino Community Center from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. today for victims of Friday's landslide in the Philippines.
              Checks are preferred, but cash will be accepted. No in-kind donations will be taken.

Fil-Com Center President Geminiano Arre Jr., said he has received about $200 in donations and $2,200 in pledges.

(information taken from StarBulletin Website)

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                No in-kind donations will be taken.
                yer right.
                I brought in kind of a donation, they refused it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  yer right.
                  I brought in kind of a donation, they refused it.
                  Wat kind of a donation wuz it?

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

mmm.. i was in Palawan the same time the mudslides were occurring in Leyte.. the weird thing is the skies were clear and not that much rain over in Palawan.

Strange how Leyte always gets so hard with everykind of storm and rain downpours and the like.

Comment

Working...
                    X