Military coup in Fiji

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military coup in Fiji

For the 4th time in 19 years, the government of Fiji has been deposed by a military coup.

Fiji is among the richest and most developed nations in the South Pacific, attracting up to 400,000 tourists a year to resorts built on idyllic beaches. It also exports sugar and gold.

But it has lurched from one political crisis to the next since the military twice grabbed power in 1987 to ensure political supremacy for the 51 percent majority indigenous Fijians, cutting out the 44 percent ethnic Indian minority.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Military coup in Fiji

That's not the reason for the latest coup, though. At least not as I understand it... This time the instigator (an Admiral) is upset about an attempt by the civilian government to pardon those who were behind the last coup.

That's simplifying the situation greatly, so I'm very willing to be corrected or to hear from anyone with a more thorough explanation.

Comment

Nobody seems to want to talk about the obvious.

Most of this stems from Fiji natives being taken over by Indians (India) who came to work the sugar cane fields.

Just like Hawaii except the Hawaiians haven't figured out how to kick the Japanese, Chinese and Filipinos out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
        Nobody seems to want to talk about the obvious.

Most of this stems from Fiji natives being taken over by Indians (India) who came to work the sugar cane fields.

Just like Hawaii except the Hawaiians haven't figured out how to kick the Japanese, Chinese and Filipinos out yet.
        you sure are racist

Comment

Originally posted by Hi Tone View Post
          you sure are racist
          Nothing racist about the Japanese wanting to keep Japan for the Japanese or the French wanting to keep France for the French.

So why is it racist for Hawaiians to want to keep Hawaii for the Hawaiians?

Maybe you should look in the racism mirror?

And try read the history a little. Fijis recent history is very similar to Hawaii's. Native people living relatively peacefully "discovered" by Haoles who set up sugar plantations and imported large numbers of immigrant laborers who never left.

Now Fijis political and economic power lies mostly with the Fijian immigrants (the Indians) who often times pretend to be neo-faux-fijians with the tattoos etc. Try look?

Very odd similarity to Hawaii but with a very different outcome so far.

Fiji ain't India and Hawaii ain't Japan, China, the Philipines or Europe.

Not racist at all, just very interesting to an intelligent mind.

Comment

Nothing racist about the Japanese wanting to keep Japan for the Japanese or the French wanting to keep France for the French.

So why is it racist for Hawaiians to want to keep Hawaii for the Hawaiians?

Maybe you should look in the racism mirror?

And try read the history a little. Fijis recent history is very similar to Hawaii's. Native people living relatively peacefully "discovered" by Haoles who set up sugar plantations and imported large numbers of immigrant laborers who never left.

Now Fijis political and economic power lies mostly with the Fijian immigrants (the Indians) who often times pretend to be neo-faux-fijians with the tattoos etc. Try look?

Very odd similarity to Hawaii but with a very different outcome so far.

Fiji ain't India and Hawaii ain't Japan, China, the Philipines or Europe.

Not racist at all, just very interesting to an intelligent mind.
            Why don't you look in the mirror. Do you plan on kicking your haole side off the island?

Comment

so what about the whites, blacks, hispanics, etc? how come they get to stay???

you know, i had 'cultural training' today at work. it was blahblahblah, heres a diagram of body tupes to help you, its available in white, black, or hispanic...
              what, no asian?
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Interesting new development in Fiji: the interim military ruler has halted all sales of land in that island nation to stop outsiders from buying up and taking away land from the indigenous Fijians...what a concept.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Hey, where's my cheap "indigenous" land?!?! Somebody must be living on it somewhere! I'm gonna kick the filthy bugga out when I found out where that is!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    Interesting new development in Fiji: the interim military ruler has halted all sales of land in that island nation to stop outsiders from buying up and taking away land from the indigenous Fijians...what a concept.

Miulang
                    Fijians area apparently smarter than Hawaiians when it comes to preserving their country and culture.

Darwinism. Survival. Maybe Hawaiians don't deserve to survive and Fijians do?

Comment

The Fijians were luckier in some respects. Since their island country was taken over by the British and not the Americans, there were different circumstances. Like most land is still to this day owned by indigenous Fijians for one. They didn't have to try and buy it back or just be given small areas as "homestead".

This last coup had alot to do with government corruption, selling off land to foreigners and lining their own pockets.
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Fijians area apparently smarter than Hawaiians when it comes to preserving their country and culture.

Darwinism. Survival. Maybe Hawaiians don't deserve to survive and Fijians do?
                        I wouldn't say smarter, more like different circumstance. The British granted Fiji independence in 1970. Hawaii became a US State instead.

Comment

In all the posturing about military takeovers, here’s a simple question – how many places in the world postpone a coup so that the troops from both sides can have a game of rugby? (Scrivener, and you dared to say on another of my posts that it was "just a game!")

The coup was originally planned for a Friday (the day of the rugby game just wouldn't do!), they couldn't have it on the weekend (gotta go to church, y'know?) so it ended up being on a Monday night.

There is something very Pacific about the way in which Commodore Voreqe Bainimarama (or Bananarama to all you non-Fijians) has gone about the takeover in Fiji, with none of the brutality, mayhem and murder that characterises coups in other parts of the world.

Don’t get me wrong – I do not condone the military takeover of Fiji. Already they have pissed off their neighbors (namely Australia & New Zealand) and even more importantly, they have lost the right to host the Netball world cup (that's just another "game" - this one played by women - mainly in the Commonwealth countries).

Last time I was in Fiji, I tried to talk to my family who live there (native Fijians) about the previous coup but people were very hush hush about it.

That's four in twenty years, and you've got to ask: is this just a ploy to ensure flights to Fiji remain cheap? Let's face it, with competition from Samoa (political assasinations), Tonga (riots), and parts of South East Asia (all of the above), Fiji needs a 'hook'. Well, if the coup fits...
                          Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                          My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                          X