Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Hearty' eater says buffet banned him

Source

HOUMA, La. - A 6-foot-3, 265-pound man says a restaurant overcharged him for his trips to the buffet line, then banned him and a relative because they're hearty eaters. A spokesman for the restaurant denies the claim.

Ricky Labit, a disabled offshore worker, said he had been a regular for eight months at the Manchuria Restaurant in Houma, eating there as often as three times a week.

On his most recent visit, he said, a waitress gave him and his wife's cousin, 44-year-old Michael Borrelli, a bill for $46.40, roughly double the buffet price for two adults.

"She says, 'Y'all fat, and y'all eat too much,'" Labit said.
    Thoughts?

I don't think I've ever been at a buffet where an additional cost is added to the bill if one consumes the pricier food items. I'm a big fan of crab legs and there have been times I'd get a small salad plate and then I'd make several trips for crab legs. I've never paid more than the standard price/person plus tax.

I don't recall anyone ever monitoring my trips to the buffet line, either. I don't know how big this place is, but I wouldn't be surprised if the man and his cousin were targeted because of their frequent trips there.

The end of the article states:

"Food is for eating, not toys for your child," reads a sign posted on a wall in typewritten text. A handwritten addition reads "Or 20% added."
    I understand the importance of not wasting food, but adding 20% if it does go to waste? Ridiculous.

If the limited-English speaking owner was so concerned about how much food was being consumed, then perhaps she's in the wrong kind of business?
    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
    We're not here to mess around
    Boston, you know we love you madly
    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
    You know we couldn't live without you
    Tessie, you are the only only only

Re: 'Hearty' eater says buffet banned him

I know a restaurant that used to charge by the pound, of the patron that is. Seemed fair. Wouldn't be a bad way to run an airline come to think of it.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Many years ago, when my kids were of elementary school age, we dined a few times at a buffet that charged 10¢ per year of a child's age! Make that decades ago!

Comment

Didn't they make a Simpsons episode about this?

Comment

Hubby and I sometimes dine a various local buffets....there's one in particular where I timed our visit as well as another couple who sat in the booth across from us. We came in before that couple, but they left 15 minutes before us. They were there a total of 22 minutes. Our waitress paced up and down making sure to clear our plates if necessary and I did notice that the longer we sat, the more often she kept coming up to us asking "everything alright?"

The place is pretty big and I guesstimated that (in our section) it took an hour to get 100 customers fed and out.

We've never been overcharged at any of the buffets that we've eaten at.

I like the idea of airlines charging by the pound.
          Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
            Didn't they make a Simpsons episode about this?
            Haha, that episode is the first thing that popped in my head when I read the thread title. Homer v. Sea Captain in court.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by EastCoastTropics View Post

I like the idea of airlines charging by the pound.
              I'm not sure if charging by the pound is the ultimate answer, but if a person is blatantly too big for a standard airline seat, I think they should have a section with larger seating to accomodate those folks and they should charge more accordingly. And, hey, if there are no "large people" to fill those seats, then the airline should make them available for an higher price.

A 6' 5" person who weighs 240 should not have to pay more if he fits into the seat without making the other person uncomfortable.
              The thing that gets me is someone who is just plain obese and basically squashes the person next to them, making the flight for that person extremely uncomfortable. I know it's not PC to say such a thing, but why should the other person have to suffer ?

I also believe that there should be a "nursery section" on the plane for people with kids under the age of 5 or 6...basically a section with a good sound baffle so that the screeching kids don't ruin the flight for everyone. Every time I fly I manage to get one or 10 of those in back of me and, now I just bring earplugs to help combat the situation. Still, some parents just plain do NOTHING about their kids kicking the seats and making a huge ruckus, and it's not fair to other people on the plane.

I know I will get alot of flack for this, but, hey, it's how I feel.
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                A 6' 5" person who weighs 240 should not have to pay more if he fits into the seat without making the other person uncomfortable.
                You're forgetting that a significant cost to the airline is fuel and it take more fuel to fly a heavier weight.

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                I know a restaurant that used to charge by the pound, of the patron that is. Seemed fair.
                When I was a teen I was skinny and had a hollow leg. Now I weigh 50 pounds more and can only eat half as much.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  You're forgetting that a significant cost to the airline is fuel and it take more fuel to fly a heavier weight.
                  No I'm not....and the airline isn't either....look on your ticket....ever see the "Fuel surharge" on there ?

They definitely cover their ass when it comes to fuel.
                  http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                  Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                  Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Imagine all the discrimination suits that would follow if heavier people got charged a bit more by airlines.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                      Imagine all the discrimination suits that would follow if heavier people got charged a bit more by airlines.
                      Good point Mike!
                      Lovena

Comment

Back in 1982, my first wife and I would go to a Sizzler in Corte Madera, CA. while she was pregnant with our daughter. We would buy just one steak dinner and one all you can eat salad buffet plate. The waitresses and manager knew what we were doing and never stopped us. We were only 18/19 years old at the time and we even joked with them about making T.V. commercials about our Sizzler Baby.

That's a really cool memory for me.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Airlines charging by weight would make technical sense. But to be fair they'd have to charge by total weight including luggage and carry-ons.

In which case it would be almost like mailing yourself or shipping yourself via UPS.

With the equipment I occasionally haul on trips I'd probably get charged way more than any fat guy.

A buffet has to take into account average consumption and figure in a few over eaters. If it can't afford to handle a few mass-consumption types then the restaurant hasn't worked out a good business model.

Comment

"Hearty" eaters vs. "light" eaters: everything should average out in the end. The restaurant may need to charge an extra $1.00 per person to "make their nut" if they're cutting it too close.

Doesn't Todai impose a time limit on diners?

Comment

Chan's buffet on Nimitz charges you extra if you don't finish all your food. I know they have signs up explaining their policy in foreign languages - including Samoan! Kinda offensive but a lot of Samoans do eat there!!

I don't recommend it - the food is GARBAGE!!!
                              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

Working...
                              X