X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timkona
    replied
    Re: Who Should Be Obama’s VP?

Yup Leo, Dems did not pick Edwards last time for the exact same reason that Obama and Clinton were the best they could do this time around.

Liberal political philosophy of the modern era is trapped in suicidal tendencies. Efforts to lose are subliminally promoted by the desire to wring hands. Without the mental anguish of loss or disappointment, Dems quickly lose sight of objectives.

When your vision of yourself is clouded in utopianism, you seldom see the facts.

PS - I plan to spend the evening hours learning about Ms. Sebelius

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    You forgot to comment.
    I’ve given my reasons for Bill Richardson in the other thread, but just to summarize with a top 5 list:
    1. He’s a fluent Latino border-state governor, who will win those states plus Florida for Obama
    2. He has served as a U.S. Congressman, U.N. Ambassador, and U.S. Secretary of Energy (his DOE tenure is a story in itself)
    3. He successfully negotiated the release of two American hostages through one-on-one negotiations with Saddam Hussein
    4. He successfully negotiated the release of an American journalist being held in Sudan
    5. The Cato Institute has consistently rated him one of the most fiscally responsible Governors in the nation

Leave a comment:

• Lei Liko
    replied

Originally posted by Vanguard View Post
    There are a lot of qualified people here, but my choice is Kathleen Sebelius.

She flipped a red state to blue, and has been a good governor for Kansas. Obama needs someone with executive experience, and I believe Sebelius' experience stands for quality.

She also attended the annual Bilderberg Group meeting last year, so you know she's going places

I picked Kathleen Sebelius as well for all the reasons you stated.

I remember watching her "America's response" to the State of the Union earlier this year and just thinking, "WOW."

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

If it were a truly forecasted runaway win for BO I'd like to see Hill get the VP slot, but I'm not into even close calls this time. The '04 election was the tipping point for this country, and now we are sliding quickly into the abyss, which will take way more than BO and company to pull us out to any sufficient degree.
    At this point, I select Jesse Ventura as VP, and his first job is to body slam BO for his support of Bush's FISA BS. 2nd job, chase down Bush/Cheney/Rove, de-bone and do 'em up like a turducken. 3rd job, bring back the boa.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Wesley Clark is a retired 4-star general. So I don’t understand what you mean by “no executive experience.” He was the commanding general in the Battle of Kosovo. How much more executive can you get then that?
    Someone who is accustomed to balancing civilian budgets, for one. Presidents, Governors, and Mayors have that experience. I apologize for being vague.
    No apology needed. But I have to disagree that Presidents, Governors, Mayors... or even university presidents necessarily have that experience. Most, if not all of them rely on their budget or managing director (the equivalent of a CFO in the business world) to balance the budget.

At least if we go by your definition, we’ve narrowed down the eligible candidates to the handful of governors under consideration.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    unless the Democrats win (which I imagine is nearly a lock).
    I wish I were as certain as you, Scrivener. Democrats were fooled into complacently thinking we could beat Bush in 2004 and ended up with a flimsy candidate. We can't afford to do that again.
    Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Edwards could have beaten The Idiot last go round.
    I have to agree with you here, Tim.

I've already stated in other threads that I'm comfortable with Richardson - but this poll is going to make me investigate some of the other options more fully.

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    Hmmm...you parade this fact like a badge of honor. I see it as a mark of shame. Looking at my signature, you probably already knew that. But it doesn’t mean she wouldn’t make a great VP.
    That was not my intention. But I believe when things like this come into play, getting into higher office or advantage is quite inevitable, until the majority decides that we have had enough. My dream VP candidate? Dennis Kucinich. But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen until the tide changes in America. It almost guarantees a McBush White House.

Wesley Clark is a retired 4-star general. So I don’t understand what you mean by “no executive experience.” He was the commanding general in the Battle of Kosovo. How much more executive can you get then that?
    Someone who is accustomed to balancing civilian budgets, for one. Presidents, Governors, and Mayors have that experience. I apologize for being vague.

Leave a comment:

• timkona
    replied

Bill Richardson or John Edwards.

Edwards could have beaten The Idiot last go round. Dems chose Kerry instead. He still polls well among right voters.

Richardson gives Obama some "street cred" in the halls of DC. Brings the Hispanic vote on board. Has lots of great experience. And a good face of hair.

Clinton virtually guarantees a McCain win, according to every poll you can find.

I chose BR in this poll.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

She also attended the annual Bilderberg Group meeting last year, so you know she's going places
    Hmmm...you parade this fact like a badge of honor. I see it as a mark of shame. Looking at my signature, you probably already knew that. But it doesn’t mean she wouldn’t make a great VP.

I'd also be happy with Bill Richardson or Wesley Clark. (the latter has no executive experience that I'm aware of, but military credentials are also good)

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

There are a lot of qualified people here, but my choice is Kathleen Sebelius.

She flipped a red state to blue, and has been a good governor for Kansas. Obama needs someone with executive experience, and I believe Sebelius' experience stands for quality.

I'd also be happy with Bill Richardson or Wesley Clark. (the latter has no executive experience that I'm aware of, but military credentials are also good)
    Last edited by Vanguard; July 15, 2008, 02:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied

previous posts dotted throughout the HT landscape are more than enough commentary as to why i prefer sen. clinton as obama's vp.

*points to signature*

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

No apology needed. I figured that was what you were thinking.

I reluctantly voted here for Hillary Clinton. I say "reluctantly" because I am still super super super super annoyed that she didn't win her party's nomination. People keep saying that she proved there is no longer a glass ceiling; I say that her NEARLY winning the nomination but still LOSING it is evidence that the glass ceiling is still there. Until someone breaks THROUGH the glass ceiling, it is still there.

Clinton's wording of the situation, in which she says she put eighteen thousand cracks in the glass ceiling, is a lot more accurate. Accepting the vice-presidential spot on the ticket is not going to break through anything unless the Democrats win (which I imagine is nearly a lock). Sure. Fine. But in this country, we're already used to the idea of women being second-in-command. I am not disregarding the significance of a Black man possibly being elected to the Presidency; however, I think we could have taken ENORMOUS steps forward as a nation if we'd elected a woman President.

So whatever. I lost this one. I'll take the Vice-Presidency, but I'm not happy.

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    in describing Mrs. Clinton, you call her the former first lady
    Sorry, Scrivener. I was trying to describe each potential candidate in a way that most people recognize him/her. It’s true that most Hillary fans are aware she is a junior senator from New York. But IMHO nationwide, most people still see her as “former First Lady.”

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I find it interesting that in describing Mrs. Clinton, you call her the former first lady, and not the two-term senator from New York.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

And at this point, only one of the three of us has voted. That may change by the time someone else reads this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X