Our military is like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our military is like...

...this parallel universe in America. We civilians are largely clueless about it, and yet it's the most significant institution in our country. You can make fun of it, but it knows more about the real world than you do.

Every significant piece of technology which makes our lives comfortable and entertaining was born from military spending. Corporations aren't really that innovative. They only see out to the next fiscal quarter. They're risk adverse, and research by nature is very risky. When military research fails to pan out, we call it "wasteful", but corporations are more than happy to make a buck on military research which hits pay dirt (Internet, GPS, computers, cell phones, satellites, etc.)

Though deployed soldiers only have a limited view of a foreign country, at least they're there to witness what most of us are clueless about: that most of the world is horribly poor and we're freakin lucky to be living in America. The world is full of death and suffering. Most of us have never seen a person killed, or simply die of natural causes. Most of us have never seen an animal slaughtered, to fill our bellies. Soldiers don't know it intellectually; they see it, smell it, and taste it.

The Internet is a pale shadow of the real global network: intermodal cargo shipping. Planes, ships, and trucks form an endless conveyor belt which relentlessly moves real, solid things. Our military is the master of logistics. It knows how to ride this super highway, and comes knocking on a foreign country's door before they know it. Sadly, Wikipedia has no clue what a CONEX container is, but Global Security sure as hell does.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Our military is like...

I'm sorry, but you're just not looking at the right subject on Wikipedia. Try 'Containerization', it'll give you a better picture of who started what regarding shipping containers.

What you are calling 'military research' is actually research by private and public entities which have received funding through the military for military oriented purposes. That they direct taxpayer funds for research which occasionally becomes militarily useful (or even more widely useful) doesn't reflect on the wisdom or productiveness of the military, but rather their unappeasable appetite for ever higher appropriations budgets, regardless of results. Did the military really give birth to automobiles, electrical distribution, telephones, televisions, motion pictures, spring mattresses, indoor plumbing, the printing press, weaving, farming, animal husbandry, the wheel and fire? Give me a break. The military no more created the internet than Al Gore did. Put on your glasses, Joe!
    Last edited by salmoned; September 12, 2008, 01:44 PM.
    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
      I'm sorry, but you're just not looking at the right subject on Wikipedia. Try 'Containerization', it'll give you a better picture of who started what regarding shipping containers.
      Good catch. I found "containerization" after my "CONEX " attempt. I stuck with with my CONEX example cuz it suited my purposes better

What you are calling 'military research' is actually research by private and public institutions which has received funding through the military for military oriented purposes.
      Oh I totally agree with you that containerization and other technologies wasn't invented by the military. The main point, which you touch upon, is the military is the driving force behind all this technology. No private corporation has the financial resources that the US government has. So even though it's horribly wasteful, it can accomplish things the private sector can't.

I remember some scientiest / engineering saying he enjoyed more freedom working for the military than he did for the private sector. Corporations only care about the next quarter. They can be very short sighted. The military has so much money to burn, they don't care. It's not that they're particularly far sighted. More like indifferent.

Yes that money can be misused, but revolutionary science is very risky and unpredictable. Results can take years to show, if at all. It's nice to not have a 3-month deadline. So in some situations, wastefulness and inefficiency can be a good thing.

My apologies if my original post was too wordy and fluffy. I tend to get carried away and write for myself, instead of others. Thanks for chiming in, Salmoned
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "

Comment

Very good. I still view the researcher(s) as the driving force, funded (or not) by the taxpayer through the U.S. government, the military and private and public institutions. None of those institutions can claim credit for that which they did not accomplish. Example - If I bum a buck off you and, by using a self-devised gambling system, make millions with it, then your contribution would not be worth mentioning.
        Last edited by salmoned; September 12, 2008, 02:20 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          Example - If I bum a buck off you and, by using a self-devised gambling system, make millions with it, then your contribution would not be worth mentioning.
          But we live in America. I'm sure some lawyer would convince your lender to sue you for a piece of your hard earned money

Though in this case I imagine Judge Judy would just make you pay him $2. Maybe if he lent you $10,000, he might be able to argue that his cash "investment" allowed you to experiment with and improve your technique, which means you owe some of your success to him. Who knows how crazy the legal system can get.
          "

Comment

Working...
          X