7 years after 9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 years after 9/11

Since we've posted a thread for 9/11 every year, I thought I'd start this year's thread.

So, are we safer now than we were before 9/11?

Regardless where we may stand on the war on terrorism, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, politics and religion, hopefully we all honor our military who sacrifice and serve.

Re: 7 years after 9/11

September Eleventh was my daughter's birthday for years before the terrorist attacks, so I see today primarily as one where she is celebrating the milestone of being another year older. That's where my focus will always be on this date.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
      Regardless where we may stand on the war on terrorism, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, politics and religion, hopefully we all honor our military who sacrifice and serve.
      They have the option of saying, "hell no, I won't go." That would be honorable too.
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
        Originally posted by matapule View Post
        They have the option of saying, "hell no, I won't go." That would be honorable too.
        I really hope you don’t mean that as a blanket statement for all wars and conflicts the U.S. is/may be involved in.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

It's all the USA's fault.
          Islam is a peaceful religion.
          Those corporate bad guys deserved it.
          Bush let it happen. So did Clinton.
          It was a conspiracy.
          There were bombs in the buildings to make them fall down.
          It was really a cruise missile that hit the pentagon.

This day serves as a reminder to me of the pervasive, dogmatic ignorance that is the hallmark of so many citizens of this great country.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

You know for as much as Bush gets bashed, he and his administration have been hughly successful in keeping terrorism out of this country for the last seven year in spite of the fact that the bombs are going off like firecrackers in Asia, Europe, and Africa. What ever the administration is doing - It's working. Lets not change a thing on that policy.

3000 people shouldn't have to die to spare some shady foreign national from a relaxed restrictions wiretap, which could annoy his feelings.

This junk about the feds alledgedly spying on people calling a pizza joint to see if Joe Blow chicken processing factory worker in Jerkwater, Arkansas is making prank delivery calls is just that, bull sh*t. Like the FBI guys are hiding in a van outside his home every night with parabolic listening devices to try to catch him in the act. Sorry Joe Blow, you're just not that special.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              I really hope you don’t mean that as a blanket statement for all wars and conflicts the U.S. is/may be involved in.
              The subject was Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan. However, every individual has the option, and I say the obligation, to refuse service in a military operation they feel is unjust.....even if it means prison.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

The subject was Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan. However, every individual has the option, and I say the obligation, to refuse service in a military operation they feel is unjust.....even if it means prison.
                So please correct me if I am wrong: you are saying that militarily, our obligations in Afghanistan are no more valid then they are in Iraq and Iran? I’m sure even the arguably most visible advocate for your ideal would disagree with this.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                  So please correct me if I am wrong: you are saying that militarily, our obligations in Afghanistan are no more valid then they are in Iraq and Iran? I’m sure even the arguably most visible advocate for your ideal would disagree with this.
                  I am correcting you, that's not what I said, but that's what you wanted to read.

So now you're going to start one of those "you said, I said" discourses? I'm not going to play. But I am correcting you, as you asked, you are wrong.

Tell us about your military service.

Comment

Then they should be in prison. When you make the commitment to be a soldier, it's a total commitment. You can't simply pick and choose the battles.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                      Then they should be in prison. When you make the commitment to be a soldier, it's a total commitment. You can't simply pick and choose the battles.
                      That excuse didn't work for the Nazis at the Nuremberg Trials. Do yourself a favor and read some history.

Comment

We have an all-volunteer force, that means no one has been conscripted to serve. Everyone in the military has made their choice in choosing military service. Once in the military, they are subject to military enforcement of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Nothing discussed here is likely to alter the UCMJ or any past, present or future case, so this particular line of discussion is smoke and mirrors.

The Nuremberg trials were a travesty of justice equal to or greater than the internment of Japanese Americans. Creating new rules and applying them only to the losers of a game already played is in no sense just, even in the [b]light of 'unconditional surrender'.

The 9/11 acts of terrorism were horrible, but entirely unrelated to service in the U.S. military before or after that date. Now, let's all commemorate the day by having a nice, refreshing bottle of Coca Cola - things go better with Coke!
                        Last edited by salmoned; September 12, 2008, 10:58 AM.
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

That excuse didn't work for the Nazis at the Nuremberg Trials. Do yourself a favor and read some history.
                          Meh. I'd rather go to jail for insubordination rather than go to the noose to commit a war crime.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                          X