Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Palin chosen cuz she's the opposite of Cheney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Palin chosen cuz she's the opposite of Cheney?

My friend has an interesting angle on the whole Palin thing. He said the Republicans are afraid of having another Dick Cheney on their hands. Never before has a VP wielded so much influence over foreign policy, as he has.

To prevent that from happening again, they want a clueless VP who knows a woman's place in a man's world. A woman who is seen but not heard (at least in the areas of politics which matter). Have her wear an apron and serve cookies at the White House.

I haven't read this book on Cheney, by Washington Post reporter Barton Gellman, but the review looks interesting.

Dick Cheney changed history, defining his times and shaping a White House as no vice president has before— yet concealing most of his work from public view. Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporter Barton Gellman parts the curtains of secrecy to show how Cheney operated, why, and what he wrought.
    I've never followed politics closely. Cheney was definitely off my radar. Do you folks know anything interesting about him?
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
    "
    Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Re: Was Palin chosen cuz she's the opposite of Cheney?

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    To prevent that from happening again, they want a clueless VP who knows a woman's place in a man's world. A woman who is seen but not heard (at least in the areas of politics which matter). Have her wear an apron and serve cookies at the White House.
    Of course I mean all of this in a political sense. In civilian life she's a tough, capable woman.

I dunno. Maybe the VP is meant to be impotent. I suppose a country can't have two leaders.
    "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
    "

Comment

I dunno, MJ...I just don't see Palin as allowing herself to be relegated to serving cookies status even if that's why she was selected. AAMOF, I forsee McCain dropping a lotta "C" bombs over her forcefulness should we be unfortunate enough to see the 2 of them elected.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        I dunno, MJ...I just don't see Palin as allowing herself to be relegated to serving cookies status even if that's why she was selected. AAMOF, I forsee McCain dropping a lotta "C" bombs over her forcefulness should we be unfortunate enough to see the 2 of them elected.
        True true. Never underestimate a woman...especially when she's smiling at you If she does become VP, I hope she proves us skeptics wrong.
        "

Comment

Palin's an opposite of Cheney? Nah, only Quayle's an opposite of Cheney.
          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I doubt it. Either she's a lot smarter than she acts, or the hubby who works for an oil company is going to be calling the shots.

Comment

McCain wanted either Joe Lieberman or Tom Ridge for his VP. Neither was acceptable to the powers that be in the Republican Party, because of their stand on various positions. McCain held out for his choices til the last minute, he thought he could get his way, he couldn't. He literally held out to the last minute!

Both McCain and Obama like games of chance (gambling) as a pass time. McCain likes Craps (dice) while Obama prefers Poker. The two games require completely different philosophical approaches and appeal to completely different personalities. Poker is somewhat similar to chess requiring strategy, planning, and finesse. Craps is based entirely on luck, bravado, and flash. If you look closely at these two men, you can see their personalities reflected in their respective choice of games.

Since McCain could not get his preferred choice for VP, and he was up against a time limit, He decided to "role the dice" and either win big or go broke. Palin came the closest to fit all of McCain's criteria as well as the power brokers in the Republican Party. Palin was never vetted by McCain or his staff. She was a relatively unknown quantity at that point - a big gamble. McCain would have preferred not ot have a woman because they are "C's" (McCain's nickname in high school was "McNasty") but he was stuck at the last minute. My guess is that he cannot stand the woman.....especially after calling it the "Palin McCain ticket." John McCain does not like to be upstaged, especially at age 72 with this, his last chance at the "Golden Ring." McCain has worked hard in politics the last 24 years, to further his legacy and further his philosophy. He believes he has paid his dues. I think he resents the fact that Palin has been thrust into the national political spotlight with no experience, no relevance, and no paying of dues. Should McCain lose the election, I don't think he will ever cross paths with Palin again, hate her guts so to speak. She will be nothing more than a "C" who lost him the election (rather than blaming himself). If McCain is elected, I think you will see Palin marginalized and compromised, kept under wraps and out of sight, as she is now. For better or for worse, McCain is the classic definition of "male chauvinist pig." His history of relationships with women, both personally and professionally, is not stellar.

McCain is also a control freak. In my opinion, he is very intimidated when he isn't in control of everything around him. I believe that Palin has surprised McCain and his staff because she is such a "loose cannon." Even though the woman has nothing of substance to say, she says that in a way that manages to stick her foot in her mouth. This has to infuriate McCain and thus the reason that Palin is essentially a no show in this campaign, other than a few canned speaches and photo ops.

So long story short, I don't think Palin was selected because she was a woman. But yes, I think McCain thought she, aqlong with his other choices, could be controlled as VP (not another Cheney). I think she was selected as a compromise - a VP designed by committee. We shall see if McCain's toss of the dice will pay off big on Nov. 4. At this point it looks like he may come up "snake eyes"........with lipstick.
              Last edited by matapule; September 25, 2008, 02:53 AM.
              Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

I've never followed politics closely. Cheney was definitely off my radar. Do you folks know anything interesting about him?
                This article might be of interest to you:

http://rightweb.irc-online.org/profile/1072.html

Oh yeah....and then there's this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/pres...-testimon.html

As you may recall from an earlier post on Countdown to Crawford, a group of historians and activists from Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) is suing Vice President Dick Cheney so that he does not destroy or withhold official records when he leaves office.
                He's got a habit of destroying records.
                Last edited by Peshkwe; September 25, 2008, 03:26 AM. Reason: heh

Comment

I think Palin was chosen as a star. She is pretty, she does speak well (even if she has a kind of high pitched nasal twang that I find very irritating), she is easy to glamorize with all the bs about turning down the bridge to nowhere, selling the gov's plane on e-bay etc. But mainly to bring along, to energize the extreme right wing evangelicals, the base of the Republican Party. That she is utterly, absolutely, totally unqualified to take over if the elderly, doddering, and confused Senator McCain happens to keel over is absolutely, totally, utterly irrelevant. "Brownie you're doin a heck of a job": competence doesn't count. In fact, competence is a hinderance to advancement in the Republican Party as a candidate because the big shots want empty headed, malleable but popular figureheads so they can steal, pollute, etc. Thats the record. So pretty perky peppy Palin, by leaving her little town of 7,000 $24 million in debt is very much an ideal candidate for the Republican Party. They know they can depend on her to be a malleable figurehead, and they can always write nice speeches for her to keep the base anesthetized and happy.

Comment

Palin's better with a gun, from what I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      Palin's better with a gun, from what I hear.
                      Yeah, she's a real sportsman....shooting wolves from a helicopter. I bet that really shivers her timbers!
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        McCain is also a control freak. In my opinion, he is very intimidated when he isn't in control of everything around him.
                        Thanks for taking the time to describe McCain, Matapule. That was an interesting read. I can see what you mean by him blaming Palin, if he loses the election.

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                        This article might be of interest to you
                        Thanks for pointing those out Peshkwe. It gives me a place to start with Cheney.

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                        They know they can depend on her to be a malleable figurehead
                        Hopefully she proves them wrong and gives them a lot of heartburn
                        "

Comment

Thanks for pointing those out Peshkwe. It gives me a place to start with Cheney.
                          There's lots of links within that first article to others they've wrote...lots of side trails to follow in that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                            [...]So pretty perky peppy Palin,...[...]
                            Methinks those may be the names of the next 3 Palin babies!

Comment

Pull the mask off of Sarah Palin and you'll reveal the love child of Karl Rove and Dick Cheney.
                              That it resembles a pile of xxxx is merely a ... coincidence?

Should she become VP, JMc will be the one immediately marginalized as Palin is groomed by K&D for her destiny.
                              Don't be surprised when JMc dies, very early in his 1st year.

And, just who was it that picked Sarah for this VP seat? It sure wasn't JMc.
                              This unanswered question hasn't been mentioned or discussed anywhere that I know of.
                              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 25, 2008, 09:57 AM.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                              X