Wanting Obama To Succeed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting Obama To Succeed

There are a lot of good reasons to want President Obama to succeed. Obviously as the country as a whole does better, so do we individually. But another reason is that it offers the country a big learning experience. Racism is dying, it is a big learning opportunity for America to see that this African-American man is competent and trustworthy and honest, well suited to leadership. Hopefully his success will mean that other competent people, men and women of different races, will not have their races held against them. Its better for us all for the most competent to get the job. Anti-Japanese prejudice was dealt a death blow by the heroic service of Japanese Americans in WW2. Sports might seem like a trivial concern but think of what Paul Bear Bryant did for attitudes in the South by integrating his Alabama football teams, and who did not cheer for Hank Aaron, it helps people get over a hump, if they need that help, in acknowledging and appreciating ability. So I very much hope Obama succeeds for the good of the country and on a lot of levels. Lets hope Hawai'i sends another president to Washington soon, that, too helps educate Americans.

Re: Wanting Obama To Succeed

Thanks Lopeti, I want him to suceed too! But if Romoney is elected President, I will want him to suceed too, for the benefit of all Americans. I guess that's the difference between a liberal and a conservative.
    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
      But if Romoney is elected President, I will want him to suceed too, for the benefit of all Americans. I guess that's the difference between a liberal and a conservative.
      In the light of Republicans' public declarations that their first priority has been to defeat Obama, and never mind our country, this is a ludicrous slander.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
        Racism is dying, it is a big learning opportunity for America to see that this African-American man is competent and trustworthy and honest, well suited to leadership. Hopefully his success will mean that other competent people, men and women of different races, will not have their races held against them.
        Racism is dying, but not fast enough. Many people voted for Obama just because he is black - that's racism, too. The opposite of racism is 'color blindness,' where race doesn't matter. I have faith we will get there.

Funny thing: Obama is part black and part non-black. Yet there are some racists who don't approve of Obama because of his black part - still.

Mixed race people are some of the handsomest/beautiful people - physically as well as otherwise. I have several mixed-race friends and relatives, and friends in inter-racial marriages. Mixing diverse genes allows for changes in adaptability, while a limited gene pool turns out to be a dead end - sometimes literally.

Obama was a person whose time had come; by just being there he has lifted us up.
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

One man's success is another man's failure.

Meanwhile,

One man's failure is another man's success.

These two perspectives hold true in politics, too.
          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

What people want to cockblock America from succeeding?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              (1) Mixed race people are some of the handsomest/beautiful people - physically as well as otherwise. I have several mixed-race friends and relatives, and friends in inter-racial marriages.

(2) Mixing diverse genes allows for changes in adaptability, while a limited gene pool turns out to be a dead end - sometimes literally.
              (1) That's also racism.

(2) That's muddled thinking.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
                Sports might seem like a trivial concern but think of what Paul Bear Bryant did for attitudes in the South by integrating his Alabama football teams,
                Bear Bryant was a brilliant tactical coach. But he was no leader when it came to integration. Rival schools in the Deep South like Oklahoma and Tennessee had not only admitted Black players into their football programs by the late 1960s,... they were agressively recruiting them years before Bryant finally relented in '71. By that time, the student body in Tuscaloosa had been integrated for 8 years. Bryant could have taken on Black players as early as the mid-Sixties, if he had really wanted to. But instead, he dragged his feet and bowed to the pressure of bigoted boosters and alumni, valuing their donations more than trying to do the right thing.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Thank you!

I remember a Chargers-Houston game that was to happen, I believe, at Rice Stadium in Houston, it was not integrated in the early '60's. Players from both teams refused to play until it was integrated, and so it was. (If memory serves...it has been a while!) This has been a long, slow, often torturous process. There have been heros. Are we better than we were 50 years ago? 100 years ago? Obviously. And we will hopefully be even better 50 years farther down the line. Turning back the clock needs to be resisted.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                    (1) That's also racism.

(2) That's muddled thinking.
                    And, yes, both are true, as well.

(1) Mixed race people are equally as attractive or inattractive as the 'racially pure.' Cross-breeding is NOT negative, as some would have us believe.

(2) Studies of animals (including humans) constantly show that inbreeding causes some genes to drop out of the gene pool, often to detrimental effect.

So?
                    Last edited by Kaonohi; September 11, 2012, 08:49 PM.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                      Bear Bryant was a brilliant tactical coach. But he was no leader when it came to integration. Rival schools in the Deep South like Oklahoma and Tennessee had not only admitted Black players into their football programs by the late 1960s,... they were agressively recruiting them years before Bryant finally relented in '71. By that time, the student body in Tuscaloosa had been integrated for 8 years. Bryant could have taken on Black players as early as the mid-Sixties, if he had really wanted to. But instead, he dragged his feet and bowed to the pressure of bigoted boosters and alumni, valuing their donations more than trying to do the right thing.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Cunningham
                      Coach Bear Bryant needed to recruit black players after Alabama got whupped by USC.

Comment

Working...
                      X