X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyopicJoe
    replied
    Re: Gun Control

For those who are curious, a collection of court documents related to the Zimmerman trial can be found here. The website is pro-Zimmerman, so I suppose they could choose not to present all the evidence, but I assume they can't falsify anything without getting in trouble. A bunch of documents are redacted (parts blacked out by markers), but I assume that was done by the courts or someone other than the website.

Anyways, some interesting things are cell phone pictures and crime scene photos.

Massad Ayoob's explanation of why certain facts about Martin's past weren't allowed to be shown to the jury.

The reason tracks to something found in the Federal Rules of Evidence in the Rule 404 series, particularly Rule 404(b). Among other things, it means that prior bad acts of the person you harmed, IF THEY WERE NOT KNOWN TO YOU AT THE TIME YOU HARMED HIM, cannot be used by you to defend inflicting that harm. This is because, being unknown to you, they had no part in your decision to act as you did, and it is that act and that decision for which you are being judged at trial.

Massad mentions "evidence" of Martin punching a bus driver. I did a small amount of Googling and it seems that "evidence" was someone sending Martin a text message saying something along the lines of 'you didn't tell me you punched a bus driver'. Perhaps technically "evidence" but nothing I would consider strong.

Being a minor, I don't know if any police records, if they exist, would be made public.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

A sidelight to be sure but it is reported that many of the killers Pol Pot used to murder over a million class enemies were in the 13 year old bracket. Thats a wonderful age to give a child an automatic weapon.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

And I thought "Toddlers & Tiaras" was bad! Maybe kids should just be armed with stun guns, they can graduate up to real bullets when they are a bit more mature, like 9.

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

Thanks for sharing this image, Matapule:

The father in this picture is showing good practices with his daughter. She has proper eye and ear protection. She has her finger off the trigger. The father has physical command of where the rifle is pointing.

It appears this father is a responsible gun owner. Let's hope he raises this young girl to be one also. My idea of "gun control"

Rules for gun handling:

1) keep your finger off the trigger until you consciously decide to shoot
    2) do not point your firearm at something/someone you're not willing to destroy
    3) treat all firearms as if they were loaded
    4) be aware of what's behind your target, what will and won't stop a bullet

Rules for children who find a gun:

1) stop
    2) don't touch
    3) leave the area
    4) tell an adult
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; July 23, 2013, 07:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
    A guy with a record as a molester is following your kid. If for whatever reason a fight breaks out, say your kid starts to defend him or herself against an assault, he or she is allowed to continue living as long as they don't start to win the fight.
    Marc MacYoung is a former LA street thug turned self defense trainer. He's been on both sides of the law. Check out his definition of "self defense".

Also worth reading is the difference between "fighting" vs "self defense" and the legal ramifications.

Whether you're pro-gun, anti-gun, or just plain living in a society with laws, you should educate yourself about self defense law.

Seems like the only answer is to arm your child.
    Arm your child with a cell phone and teach them to call 911.

Why didn't Martin call 911?

One reason Zimmerman was able to avoid a manslaughter conviction was because Martin was dead and unable to give his own account (I also think mounting Zimmerman on the sidewalk gave Zimmerman more legal leeway). If Martin had called 911, stayed on the line with them during the altercation, there would have been more evidence against Zimmerman.
    Last edited by MyopicJoe; July 23, 2013, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Seems like the only answer is to arm your child.
    That is exactly what the NRA and their gun nut advocates want. They are now marketing lethal weapons to children 5 years old. I have previously posted some of their ads in this thread. Anything to make a buck. This is not only cynical but sick. Turn over a rock and see the vermin.

The five-year-old boy (yes: five) in Kentucky who accidentally shot and killed his two-year-old sister (yes: two) did so with “My First Rifle,” a .22-caliber Cricket specifically made and marketed in several colors for “youth shooters” by Milton, Pa.-based Keystone Sporting Arms, making “quality firearms for America‘s youth.” In 2008, it sold 60,000 Crickett and “Chipmunk” rifles. Its website features a “Kids‘ Corner” with smiling pictures of children with their guns, and testimonials from their grateful, gun-buying parents. Teach your children well. Or is it too late?

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

A guy with a record as a molester is following your kid. If for whatever reason a fight breaks out, say your kid starts to defend him or herself against an assault, he or she is allowed to continue living as long as they don't start to win the fight. Winning the fight cancels your oxygen consumption permit. Makes perfect sense in Florida. It could be funny if it weren't real and really tragic. So tell your kid to give in? It beats getting shot. But then some molesters believe in eliminating the primary witness. Seems like the only answer is to arm your child.

Leave a comment:

• MyopicJoe
    replied

I found Andrew Branca's (self defense lawyer) commentary on Day 5 testimony to be interesting, since it involves the best eyewitness to the fight (John Good).

Massad Ayoob's (self defense expert witness and part time law enforcement) opinion on Martin's ability to cause great bodily harm.
    His opinion on the veracity of Zimmerman's account.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Another way of putting it, they are known as "gun nuts."
    I've been called a gun nut, yet I'm not a kook about Trayvon.

GRANNY GRAB YER GUN, NOW!

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Those people are known as kooks.
    Another way of putting it, they are known as "gun nuts."

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Some people seem to be arguing that Trayvon Martin had no right to defend himself against a person following him.
    Those people are known as kooks.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Some people seem to be arguing that Trayvon Martin had no right to defend himself against a person following him, who had a record of molestation. Seems like a rather heavy burden to be placing on minors, to have to submit to whatever whatever adults are about want to do with them and if they fight back the adult is justified in blowing the kid away.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    If innocent Zimmermen didn't have his gun, HE would be dead!
    huh? How whould Zimmerman have been killed by a kid in a small time tussel? He didn't come close to dying that nite.

Leave a comment:

• Kalalau
    replied

Yes its from that librul network but some of the perspective might be worth considering...

http://www.upworthy.com/think-trayvo...this?g=2&c=cp2

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    The fact is Trayvon would still be alive today if Zimmerman had not been fortified with his gun.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
    Right. If innocent Zimmermen didn't have his gun, HE would be dead!

That's why they passed the Florida Law for self-defense.
    Last edited by admin; July 21, 2013, 03:40 PM. Reason: Don't be silly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X