Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    ... said it is time to sit down and have a "sensible, reasonable" debate about gun control ...
    ahem. .....
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      ahem. .....
      An argument that says I need to have six assault rifles and 10,000 rounds of ammunition for home security IS NOT a sensible and reasonable debate! For God's sake, 20 six and seven year olds were just murdered!
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

20 six and seven year olds were just murdered!
        The most indisputable FACT of this entire conversation. And there are "gun nuts" who cast the blame as far from their kind as possible.

Comment

Are you in favor, like I am, to pay higher State and Federal taxes to fund more research into mental health issues? You refuse to answer this question. Research and increased services are not "free." There is a cost for this benefit to society.
          I answered this question way back in post #90 of this thread. Of course, knowing that fact would require that somebody take the time to read and fully comprehend what I am posting.

This sums up the problem in a nutshell. It seems like you're more interested in posturing rather than having a constructive, thoughtful discussion on the subject. MM had you pegged right. Absolutely no purpose in carrying on this topic with you.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
            I answered this question way back in post #90 of this thread. Of course, knowing that fact would require that somebody take the time to read and fully comprehend what I am posting.
            I just reread #90 and I guess I just haven't mastered reading and comprehending the nuances of Frankie's mind because I don't see the answer there. I would repeat the question to you again, but you have left the discussion so kay den.

This sums up the problem in a nutshell. It seems like you're more interested in posturing rather than having a constructive, thoughtful discussion on the subject. MM had you pegged right. Absolutely no purpose in carrying on this topic with you.
            I'm willing to posture all day long if it will result in saving lives from gun violence, especially if it saves the lives of 20 children. This insanity must stop now!

I am in favor of going over the "fiscal cliff" so that my personal taxes will go up too. Some of that increased tax revenue should be used to fund research and mitigation of mental health issues.

In addition, banning assault weapons and mega-clips should only be the start of reasonable gun control.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

In addition, banning assault weapons and mega-clips should only be the start of reasonable gun control.
              Agreed - only a start. But a start like this would be better than what we have now.

I'm not in favor of snatching all guns away from responsible citizens, but controls on acquisition must be tightened and enforced. Certain weaponry (currently available too easily) has no legitimate use, other than to maim and kill fellow humans - assault weapons are not for animal hunting; we need to remove them from the general public.

Comment

If we omit all of the previous blustery verbiage out of the discussion, it seems that many of our posters are not that far off in agreeing on:
                • Assault weapons should be banned from the general public.
                • Mega clips should be banned from the general public.
                • Strict screening needs to be in place on who can own a handgun or rifle.
                • Mental health concerns and services need to be addressed, and services increased if necessary (even if it means higher dedicated taxes).

Some posters also believe that:
                The Second Amendment has a purpose, and should be maintained as is, but it is NOT a free pass for everyone to own every type of gun that is manufactured. [See list above]
                Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                  Certain weaponry (currently available too easily) has no legitimate use, other than to maim and kill fellow humans - assault weapons are not for animal hunting; we need to remove them from the general public.
                  The libertarian case for private ownership of guns is that it gives a defense against the tyranny of a government gone out of control. I mentioned the Kent State massacre earlier, but I guess no one was listening. Guns for this purpose would be used to maim and kill fellow humans -- the cops.

I'm not advocating continued availability of assault weapons; I'm just noting that all the talk about banning weapons not needed for hunting lower animals is partially beside the point.
                  Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                    If we omit all of the previous blustery verbiage out of the discussion
                    I am willing to bluster from now until kingdom comes if it will save one person from gun violence, particularly if it is child.

Some posters also believe that:
                    The Second Amendment has a purpose, and should be maintained as is, but it is NOT a free pass for everyone to own every type of gun that is manufactured.
                    Some posters on this forum hide behind the Second Amendment, which is way overdo for amendment. It is time to get multiple guns (and the desire to own multiple guns) out of their hands on the pretext they need them for "home protection." This is paranoid madness and needs to be treated as the mental health issue it is.

Comment

The libertarian case for private ownership of guns is that it gives a defense against the tyranny of a government gone out of control.
                      ........to be replaced by the tyranny of paranoid gun nuts out of control.

I mentioned the Kent State massacre earlier, but I guess no one was listening. Guns for this purpose would be used to maim and kill fellow humans -- the cops.
                      I have no idea what you were talking about then and talking about now. It was a rogue, out-of-control National Guard unit that was involved in the Kent State massacre. What are you saying, that if the students were armed there would have been no massacre?

I'm just noting that all the talk about banning weapons not needed for hunting lower animals
                      What talk would you be referring to? I would like to read about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        I'm not in favor of snatching all guns away from responsible citizens,
                        Leo, I heard a statistic on TV this evening that 300M guns are owned by 60M Americans. That's an average of FIVE per person! I have not been able to verify if that statistic is true. However we do know that are multiple gun owners (and wanna-be multiple gun owners) right here in our HT midst. There is no rational justification for that mindset. We also know that there are countless assault weapons out there in the hands of "responsible citizens", 40% of whom never went through a background check. We need to get those guns back!

I AM in favor of snatching guns away from from this type of "responsible citizen." Owning multiple weapons and/or assault weapons is a mental health issue that needs to be addressed.

Comment

Guns for this purpose would be used to maim and kill fellow humans -- the cops.
                          According to the Children’s Defense Fund, nearly twice as many preschoolers were killed by guns in 2008-2009 as there were law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty: 89 cops to 173 preschoolers.

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...180620270.html

He knew what he was doing by destroying his hard drives.

Comment

One of the great things about posting on an internet forum is everyone gets to choose their own style. Some try to keep the conversation moving along with thoughts flowing back and forth. But some choose to rant and rave, thus, unfortunately for them, almost insuring their message is left unheard by those who skip over those style of posts.

I am joining those who have left this thread, I prefer to focus my energy on discussions.
                              Last edited by Amati; December 19, 2012, 12:29 AM.
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                                But some choose to rant and rave,
                                If there is ever a time to "rant and rave" it is when 20 children are killed by a madman facilitated by a gun infatuated society created by the NRA which is nothing more than a lobbying organization for small arms manufacturers. To do otherwise is illogical and irrational. Representative John Yarmuth, a moderate Democrat from Kentucky, said, “I have been largely silent on the issue of gun violence over the past six years, and I am now as sorry for that as I am for what happened to the families who lost so much in this most recent, but sadly not isolated, tragedy. The National Rifle Association has spent untold millions of dollars instilling fear in our citizens and our politicians, I believe it is more rational to fear guns far more than the illusory political power of the N.R.A.”

Comment

Working...
                                X