X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gun Control

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Gun Violence Study Links State Levels Of Gun Ownership And Homicide

This study comes from the the Harvard School of Public Health and we know how biased they are. NOT!

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
    So then. Why is the homocide rate falling while gun ownership is increasing?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...993-study-says

Someone is remiss in their studies, and I think it is openly anti-gun Yale.

Everyone is political, ignoring science.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Two Colorado legislators who voted for stricter gun control have been recalled in special elections. Combined with voter suppression laws to keep brown, black, elderly, poor, and/or young people from voting, the gun nuts ability to drive elections assures a fascist authoritarian gun totin future for America. Wow. Despite Columbine and the theater massacre Colorado votes for guns. Fine. I am fine with that. And if America is committed to becoming fascist authoritarian, Republican destruction of the economy is actually for the best.

On the topic of blind people with guns. It does happen. A friend owned a house, rented to a blind Vietnam War vet who liked to get drunk and fire his gun at any hour of the day or night. Equal rights. The neighborhood took up a petition to get my friend to evict the guy. So thats how popular blind people with guns are in the real world. Maybe the guy can rent a room in your neighborhood. And really, if a few kids get killed or paralyzed or somebody's mom or wife gets killed or paralyzed who cares as long as that precious precious right to guns stands. If Colorado learns, good. If not, why care.
      Last edited by Kalalau; September 14, 2013, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I have a strong premonition that we have not heard the last of Zimmerman getting into trouble.
        Yup, Zimmerman is losing it (if he hadn't already a long time ago). Not surprising that O'Mara is distancing himself from him.

Gun owners who say, "Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six", underestimate the financial and psychological punishment of using a lethal force weapon in self defense, even if you are justified.

A cop told me a story about another cop he knew who was forced to shoot a wanted criminal who was about to kill him. Totally justified self defense. None the less the officer had a break down over the guilt he felt, lost his job, lost his wife, and became an addict.

Former street thug, Marc MacYoung, believes one reason why violent criminals stop being violent when they get older is they simply burn out on harming human beings. There's a price to pay for taking a life. That's why they had firing squads, so that each person could believe their gun was loaded with a blank.

This study comes from the the Harvard School of Public Health and we know how biased they are. NOT!
        I read the abstract for the article, and I question the worth of its findings.

"This model indicated that for each percentage point increase in gun ownership, the firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9%"

So basically what they noticed is if someone wants to be violent and they have access to a gun, they will most likely use it instead of an inferior option...How much time and money was spent to "discover" this mundane observation? The reason why firearms exist is because they make it easier to kill, both physically and psychologically.

A more important question to research would be: Has violence in America (with and without firearms) increased over the past 50 years and if so why?

What's interesting is Huffington post's careful wording to make things sound more provocative:

AJPH Article: "The Relationship Between Gun Ownership and Firearm Homicide Rates in the United States, 1981–2010"
        Huffington: "Gun Violence Study Links State Levels Of Gun Ownership And Homicide"

The omission of a single word can change the meaning of a statement immensely.
        Last edited by MyopicJoe; September 14, 2013, 11:42 PM.
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Let me guess. Violence in America has increased because of the liberals. Social Security. Medicare. Most of all, healthy school lunches for children. The welfare state. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the war on drugs causing gangs and gang violence and guns freely available even to the maniacally criminally insane. Its video games. Tens of millions of people play video games and they all go out and get sub machine guns and open up on elementary schools. Its rock 'n roll with Words. Words can be prohibited, unlike guns, because you have a constitutional right to guns but not to freedom of speech. And everybody knows sticks and stones can break your bones and words can also hurt you. I'm just trying to understand the conservative mind set here, how am I doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
            I'm just trying to understand the conservative mind set here, how am I doing?
            I have no clue. Does being supportive of gun ownership automatically make me Conservative (TM)? I don't consider myself Conservative (TM). Perhaps I'm just confused and don't realize I'm Conservative (TM). Sorta like Gay (TM) people are just confused and deep down they're really Straight (TM)?

Now if you're asking me what I think some of the causes of this increased violence could be, I would guess:

1) The wealthy want more wealth. Wealth equals power. Power can be used to hoard more wealth.

2) America and the middle class were fairly wealthy after our success in World War 2.

3) The wealthy see the middle class as cattle, to be fattened up and harvested. One way to harvest that wealth is to encourage a consumer economy.

4) The middle class are seduced into buying solutions to their problems instead of solving them for themselves. If your toaster breaks, don't learn how it works and fix it, just buy a new one. If the oil in your car needs changing, don't learn how to do it yourself, just pay someone else to do it for you. Don't learn how to protect yourself, let your taxes pay for someone else to do it. This all leads to a lack of self reliance.

5) The post WWII flush of wealth made individual Americans less reliant on their family and neighbors. People leave their families and live all across the country. Instead of learning how to coexist with neighbors, they buy enough land to create a buffer zone. If a neighborhood goes bad, instead of working with their neighbors to solve it, they just leave. Individual wealth and mobility has lessened community reliance.

6) The siphoning of wealth from the middle class, the lack of self-reliance, and the erosion of community reliance has made the average American poorer and weaker. This causes poverty (which is more than just lack of money. Read Ruby Payne's "A Framework for Understanding Poverty")

7) Poverty causes stress which leads to more violence.

That's just one of many possible causes. Maybe Americans are selfish. Supposedly, if every human lived the average American lifestyle, our planet could only support 1 billion people. We're currently around 7 billion. It's a good thing the planet has all these poor people, so a few of us can flame each other on forums
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "

Comment

I agree with that. To me the really sad part is the middle class got sold on handsome Ronald Reagan, who was always quite open about wanting to destroy the economics that produced the middle class. Unions routinely get such horrible press, by a press 100 % owned by the rich elite, but unions did produce the 40 hour work week, work safety rules, and people benefit every day from those horrible liberal institutions like pure food and drug laws, the epa, medicare, its a long laundry list, and people have been taught to hate it. Liberal is a bad word. Conservatives laugh at Detroit collapsing. Its collapsing because its so much cheaper to make cars in non union states, with low wages and bad health coverage, but was it ever really necessary to move those jobs? The auto companies were at their most prosperous when in union Detroit. Henry Ford, though anti union, did understand that paying good wages to his workers ultimately helped himself because WORKERS ARE CUSTOMERS. Money is a flow. People individually and collectively in the economy function best when the money flows, its not that different from wanting a good blood flow in your own body, or a good flow in your digestive tract.

I think violence comes about because of a number of reasons. Drunkenness. Drugs (the speedy kinds). Gangs just like happened during Prohibition but God forbid we ever learn from history. From time to time people just go nuts, and there are always a number of nut cases out there. If an angry husband has only his fists he can do some damage, but he can end dozens of lives with a gun. A nut case can stand on a street corner screaming obscenities at children but if he has a gun he can slaughter any number of them. I am not 100 % against guns. Hunting is fine even though it isn't my 'bag', and a lot of people actually do need guns for personal protection. But to sing the same old song, why does anybody need a machine gun? And why does the NRA stand steadfast against background checks, to do all we can (can't be perfect but we can do better) in keeping guns out of the hands of those delusional people who do open up on theaters or elementary schools. The view that the 2nd amendment has to be 100 % carried to the vastest most extreme limits is absurd, freedom of speech is limited, you can't yell fire in a crowded theater, etc, and you probably can't even sacrifice an ox in church under freedom of religion and you sure as hell can't kill people, legally anyway, with the defense that God told you to. All limits we all realize need to be placed on 1st amendment rights, and yet some how no limits on the 2nd amendment. Nerve gas OK? Why not? Machine guns are OK, whats wrong with stockpiling nerve gas?

But its out of our hands. The machine guns are out there and they're going to stay out there and from time to time there will be massacres. Just accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                Now if you're asking me what I think some of the causes of this increased violence could be, I would guess:
                You are totally missing the point. The empirical evidence indicates that violence is related to proliferation, availability, and access to firearms.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

4) The middle class are seduced into buying solutions to their problems instead of solving them for themselves. If your toaster breaks, don't learn how it works and fix it, just buy a new one. If the oil in your car needs changing, don't learn how to do it yourself, just pay someone else to do it for you. Don't learn how to protect yourself, let your taxes pay for someone else to do it. This all leads to a lack of self reliance.
                  You want to know the conservative mindset? There you go. You're it. People not changing their own oil! The very idea! There's a traditional way of doing things that you're familiar with, approve of, and changing that is bad for society, the economy, people's character, and it's just downright, overall bad.
                  Greg

Comment

I agree with that. To me the really sad part is the middle class got sold on handsome Ronald Reagan
                    I have to admit Reagan wasn't very bright, but he was charming in that (molesting?) grand fathery way.

Unions routinely get such horrible press
                    I think unions were important when they first appeared, but anything good can be subverted to do bad. None the less, workers need a way to stand up to corporate interests.

I think in the end cheap oil, ocean shipping, and off shoring allowed corporations to undercut unions.

why does anybody need a machine gun?
                    Do you mean fully-automatic guns (machine gun) or semi-automatic (most common)?

It's interesting to see the media starting to use "assault-style rifle" instead of "assault rifle" these days.

in keeping guns out of the hands of those delusional people
                    I'm guessing the NRA is concerned about which citizens get labeled "delusional", who gets to decide that, and what keeps the definition from being widened? I believe matapule considers gun owners to be "gun nuts".

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
                    You want to know the conservative mindset? There you go. You're it. People not changing their own oil!
                    Dang it! I knew I shouldn't have mentioned oil. Everyone knows petroleum is behind the Conservative agenda. I blew my cover
                    "

Comment

I believe matapule considers gun owners to be "gun nuts".
                      That statement shows that you still don't get it.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW1

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Good morning! Breaking news out of DC where a shooter has hit at least 10 people in a navy complex. Kind of speaks for itself, doesn't it. Its a developing story, hasn't been resolved yet. Let us pray that it is resolved peacefully with a minimum of death and suffering, amen.

Comment

12 dead, so far, in the DC navy yard massacre. But don't worry, there won't be real gun control. Sandy Hook didn't do it, Virginia Tech didn't do it, the Colorado theater massacre and Columbine didn't do it, in fact 2 pro gun control Colorado legislators have been recalled by the voters for daring to support gun control. Just accept the continuing massacres as part of life. So to speak. Move to Canada if you don't like it here. No massacres in Hawai'i that I am aware of.

Comment

No massacres in Hawai'i that I am aware of.
                            Unfortunately and regrettably, it will happen, it is just a matter of when.

STRICT GUN CONTROL NOW!

Comment

No massacres in Hawai'i that I am aware of.
                              Can you say Xerox?
                              7 Oahu dead may not equal a massacre in today's environment but I doubt their affected families feel better.

What would the count be from this last rampage had guns been at the sides of all in the area? Maybe a handful, most of those being the nutbag shooters.

Even the tables, then tip it greatly against the nut jobs, strict gun proliferation now!
                              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 16, 2013, 10:58 AM.
                              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Xerox, right, I had forgotten about that one. There are soooooo many to keep track of. There must be a web site that keeps track of them. I wonder what kind of ads they run.

Comment

Working...
                                X