• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Religious Left v. the Religious Right

Originally posted by kimo55
    a few things I "wanted to know"
    and a few points;
    -what does "case close" at the beginning of a long paragraph mean?
    -and what does "I could care less" mean?
    -I was raised in da mormon church and they were all cool and sharing. non judgemental. very sweet people. I ain't one for organized religion, but if I were ever to awaken one sunny morn and find my individuality had mysteriously evaporated while visting the land of nod and now find myself a "joiner", I would be swayed to this christian faction, prolly, youbetcha.
    -Sounds like ya stuck around in a situation, that was not fun at all. and ya did it for.. how many years? even after ya saw the handwriting plainly on da wall? sup wi dat!?
    -can ya just discuss and debate without goin' off?
    Case Close I didn't want say anything but ended up contradicting myself.

You are right I did go off and I do apologize for it, I am not the type of person to back down from anyone but I should do it with a little more tact and compasion. I 'll hold my tongue if that's cool. Well my relatives weren't much for words but more for physicality and thinking later when all was done. Guess that's why some of em are locked up.

I stuck in the church till I was Sixteen going on to Seventeen, but the Missionaries kept coming to the door. I thought that the members would change unfortunately I was wrong. Some of my friends still ask me to return, but I tell them never again. When your young you think that the writing on the wall will change but they don't they remain the same, they just get uglier.

When I said I care less I figured I had to have a reason for saying it and that's why the long crappy story.

Anything else let me know I will use more tact this time.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

You gots good Mormons, and you gots bad Mormons, just like everywhere else. The good ones believe in family and helping other Mormons. Nothing wrong with that. The part I don't like is when they try to convert nonbelievers or force kids who don't want to go on missions to go on missions to convert others to their religion.

But Mormonism is one of the fastest growing religions in the developing world, so maybe the proselytizing is getting them somewhere. And those of you who were raised Mormon have gotta admit, they got some pretty funky notions about marriage and the hereafter. I went to school in SLC for 2 years, and the kids I associated with either were "Jack" Mormons or gentiles, but oh, the stories my friends who were raised Mormon would tell me about being indoctrinated into the church and its rituals!

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

> The good ones believe in family and helping other Mormons.

they hep erryone, da ones i seen, huuuuh.

>those of you who were raised Mormon have gotta admit, they got some pretty funky notions about marriage and the hereafter.

dey get funky notions bout erryting.
        baptism for the dead. marriage. polygamy. eating. dressing. driving swearing. caffeine. the hereafter. food. microwave ovens. levels of heaven. Chihuahuas. tires. their sacred books, all fourty eight of em. discount shopping. acne.

Comment

Heh. I didn't want to go into discussing da cotton underwear, the Postum or the different levels of heaven. That polygamy thing has been ascribed to a biological imperative a long time ago when the world wasn't busting out with so many people and the need to create more beings to help till the land...still happens in some "backward" cultures in the hinterlands, but since it's supposedly illegal to practice polygamy and polyandry in this country, most devout Mormons would say it is wrong now. I do like that they have "family nights" when everyone in the family sits around the old fireplace and reads scripture and the fact that they will probably be the only ones who will be well stocked come the Apocalypse...

Miulang

P.S. I thought I read somewhere that the Mormon church had to denounce polygamy in order to become a state in the Union?
          Last edited by Miulang; July 4, 2005, 01:13 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Pedro I appreciate the apology Unfortunately There are a lot of church folks that don't act Christ like at all. I am sorry for what you and your family have gone through. And as far as the remark basically what I meant is I thought that the mormon religion really did consider themselves a seperate religious organization. That's what I've been lead to believe by others.
            that's all.
            www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

>I do like that they have "family nights" when everyone in the family sits around the old fireplace and reads scripture

we called it "family home evening", kailua side.
              but we didn't call it "read scripture"...
              (that sounds like: "are you going to temple and read scripture?"
              "yes, i will drive car to see friend after eat hamburger and visit temple and read scripture and say prayer and perform jenufleck (Jennifer Affleck anyone?) ....etc....

>and the fact that they will probably be the only ones who will be well stocked come the Apocalypse...

yea. let's see them share, then!
              Last edited by kimo55; July 4, 2005, 01:18 PM.

Comment

>Unfortunately There are a lot of church folks that don't act Christ like at all.

imagine that.
                again, what's up with these mortals? and their human frailties!?

>I thought that the mormon religion really did consider themselves a seperate religious organization.

uuuhhh... don't they all?!
                Last edited by kimo55; July 4, 2005, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by junebloom
                  Aloha everyone

I have a question for Auntie Lynn Could you elaborate on what you mean by your statement?

Really just curious as to what your personal opinions about Christianity are?
                  Not to offend anyone by any means.

God doesn't want the saved. He's looking for the sinners. I was born a sinner and still a sinner...yet, by the grace of God, I have made it through some major things. Yeah, I'm in the middle and seeking my difference.
                  Aloha junebloom!

Those who lead Godly lives or as best they can are already saved. However, I am a sinner cause I sin everyday. I stopped going to church about a month cause I didn't want to be a hiprocrite. Although I enjoy the fellowship, I am not one to go on Sunday, praise and rejoice then out the door I start my ugly ways again. God know my heart and knows my intentions are good.

By the grace of God, I have survived the death of my husband of twenty years, having three kids in War Zones the same time, the break-up with a druggie of nine years, my own addictions and life struggles. My list can go on and on how the God I believe in has carried me in his arms so many times.......he never gets tired.

It is when I put him first, above all else that my life becomes manageable...still remaining a sinner. I don't shove down my beliefs on others. However, I pray for everybody even those I dislike, don't know, etc. To know the peace of loving the Lord is simply beautiful.

When I die it will be just God and me. I will have to answer him, what I did on earth. My God is a loving and a forgiving God. He is my strength and SAVIOR!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

"It was clear as mud but it covered the ground"

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      Aloha junebloom!

Those who lead Godly lives or as best they can are already saved.
                      Not under Christianity. It takes a lot more than that. That's why most people who claim to be Christian try to mold the religion to their lifestyle, instead of the other way around. To really follow Christ's teachings and do what's necessary to be a Christian -- and to go to heaven -- is too much work for most people, and just not convenient. Too many rules. So they relax the rules and invent platitudes to make themselves feel better. But "doing the best you can" isn't good enough for the Christian God, or for most others, either. He's been pretty specific on that.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        -- is too much work for most people, and just not convenient. Too many rules. So they relax the rules and invent platitudes to make themselves feel better.

and the result is what we see...
                        multitudinous sects branching out from christianity, each one overbrimming with their own dogma and particular take on it.

Comment

Ta-da! Hence my original postage: does the religious left or the religious right really have what it takes to move the nonbelievers (the non-dogmatic religious centrists) toward their way of thinking? And is the outcome what's going to sway how the "red staters" vote next year?

Miulang

Comment

May I ask a moderator to split this topic? Domo.
                            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              >Unfortunately There are a lot of church folks that don't act Christ like at all.

imagine that.
                              again, what's up with these mortals? and their human frailties!?

>I thought that the mormon religion really did consider themselves a seperate religious organization.

uuuhhh... don't they all?!

You know what's weird? Every Christian sect or religious organization I have been with from Baptist, Catholic, Protestan, Morman, and so forth all believe they are right over every other christian church.(Differences my my my) I sort of compare it to Martial Arts. I meant if ya take Karate and go into Kung Fu they each believe that their style is better than the other, where Japanese are straight foward and rigid while the chinese are soft and round but their the same principle, and body mechanics. STRANGE

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                                Not under Christianity. It takes a lot more than that. That's why most people who claim to be Christian try to mold the religion to their lifestyle, instead of the other way around. To really follow Christ's teachings and do what's necessary to be a Christian -- and to go to heaven -- is too much work for most people, and just not convenient. Too many rules. So they relax the rules and invent platitudes to make themselves feel better. But "doing the best you can" isn't good enough for the Christian God, or for most others, either. He's been pretty specific on that.
                                People have been molding Christian beliefs to their own lifestyle for years even when Christianity was founded, and that's why there has been so many changes and Christian sects or religious organizations. It defeats the purpose of being a straight dealer.(royal flus I win) But I also realize than when the Religion was created it was a different world than the world we live in. My Mormon friends said one of the Mormon Prophets declaired this era one of the most evil era in opposed to Bible History, and we're more succeptable to falling from sin. Oh well pardon me well I finish my wine and dance with the young ladies wearing almost nothing on maybe tomorrow I promise I will be a good person and not fall to sin. I am trying but the wine looks too good so do the women not to give in. I'll try harder tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X